How long is to long

KMurph332

Side note: I dont like this new trend where the taxi texts you pics of the progress. You wait patiently for 6-9 months until you get that magical call and then you go see the finished product in person!

It’s the worst!

I’m more anxious now then I was before I got updated pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’ve never been texted progress pics but I like when the taxi calls me to come in when still wet to finalize any final features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i always give her the finalizer when it's all wet.

wait... 

what are we talking about? the forum jerk off has me confused. 

• 3 months later...

Called Taxi and buck is done. But....still needs to dry. He said it was done but one ear wasn't perfect so he redid something and it came out great. Said it would be done if it wasn't for the damn weather it would be dry.  Hoping by the weekend. But he said "this buck has to look perfect cause it's a damn nice buck and you know me ...has to be right." Lol

• Like 6

Called Taxi and buck is done. But....still needs to dry. He said it was done but one ear wasn't perfect so he redid something and it came out great. Said it would be done if it wasn't for the damn weather it would be dry.  Hoping by the weekend. But he said "this buck has to look perfect cause it's a damn nice buck and you know me ...has to be right." Lol

Don’t let him text you a pic! First look has to be that magical trip to pick him up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

This room has been 13 years in the making and still expect at least another 50 till it will be finished. If not longer. Talk about a long taxidermy wait! 89da68173265c2dc2036b2d0add49fb5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Running out of room there Jerkman!

• Like 1

Running out of room there Jerkman!
I agree and it's not even all of my animals. Still got some fish in my room and a deer currently in my freezer in the basement protected by my guard tarantula that lives by my reloading bench

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 4:16 PM, WNY Bowhunter said:

There is SO much more to mounting a deer or bear than people realize. You certainly don't just glue a hide to a foam manniken and give it back. There's a whole bunch of steps necessary to just get a cape and form ready to be mounted! Until one step is completed you can't move on to the next. In fact, it's such a huge commitment to get your customer's prized trophy back in a reason time frame that I'm thinking about cutting back the number of heads that I take in next season to a very select few. The truth of the matter is that there's much easier ways to make money then taxidermy.

jesus... i was wait for a big one to bring one out to you. now it's going to have to be a really big SOB. lol

On 2/14/2019 at 4:16 PM, WNY Bowhunter said:

There is SO much more to mounting a deer or bear than people realize. You certainly don't just glue a hide to a foam manniken and give it back. There's a whole bunch of steps necessary to just get a cape and form ready to be mounted! Until one step is completed you can't move on to the next. In fact, it's such a huge commitment to get your customer's prized trophy back in a reason time frame that I'm thinking about cutting back the number of heads that I take in next season to a very select few. The truth of the matter is that there's much easier ways to make money then taxidermy.

there was a show on discovery or history a while back. it was a family taxidermy business I think. I dont think it lasted very long but I watched a bunch of the episodes. It was really interesting and helped show just how detailed and intricate the work is. Much respect to those that do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

jesus... i was wait for a big one to bring one out to you. now it's going to have to be a really big SOB. lol

If you shoot a nice buck, I'll gladly mount it for you!

I'm getting ready to remount my biggest bow deer for '15. The skullplate had a fracture so I pulled the rack off to fix it and now I am going to redo the whole thing. I found a gorgeous late September cape for it...should turn out pretty nice.

• Like 1

As my uncle said, taxidermist do not make money on big bucks.. it's the average buck that made up 95% of his business. He had a specfic number cut off of heads he would take in ,leaving 5 or so open spots for "special" cases. In the end he kept raising prices to shoo customers away..unfortunately it didnt really help, he finially just had to retire and stop doing it after 60 or so years...

57 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

I'm getting ready to remount my biggest bow deer for '15. The skullplate had a fracture so I pulled the rack off to fix it and now I am going to redo the whole thing. I found a gorgeous late September cape for it...should turn out pretty nice.

You're putting a different cape on the deer you shot? Isn't that like buying a car for the vin tag and putting it on a different car? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

You're putting a different cape on the deer you shot? Isn't that like buying a car for the vin tag and putting it on a different car? 

i think that's pretty common. My dad mounted a buck a few years ago that wasn't recovered in time and lost the cape to coyotes. 

36 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Correct. However, it is a remount of a remount...lol. The year that I killed this deer was the year that I decided to try my hand at taxidermy. A friend of mine offered to mount the deer for me at cost and walk me through the process. In the end, I ended up with a rushed, crappy looking mount. The following year I decided to take deer in for other people and didn't want them thinking that I mounted that one so I remounted it to hang in my shop as a display. It's far easier to just use a new cape that try to resalvage the old one. I really wish that I could have gone back and waited to mount the original cape. Now, several years and dozens of mounts later, my taxidermy skills have improved greatly so I decided to redo the mount from scratch. I was very picky with selecting my replacement cape making certain that the color patterns matched as well as the season of kill...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Belo said:

i think that's pretty common. My dad mounted a buck a few years ago that wasn't recovered in time and lost the cape to coyotes. 

Spoiled capes are the most common reason to use a replacement cape. People also mount sheds, deadheads, replicas, remounts and deer that they killed in the past that for whatever reason didn't get mounted at the time of kill. Most local buthershops get picked over by local taxidermist for spare capes that would otherwise just be thrown out. 

Cant wait to see it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Correct. However, it is a remount of a remount...lol. The year that I killed this deer was the year that I decided to try my hand at taxidermy. A friend of mine offered to mount the deer for me at cost and walk me through the process. In the end, I ended up with a rushed, crappy looking mount. The following year I decided to take deer in for other people and didn't want them thinking that I mounted that one so I remounted it to hang in my shop as a display. It's far easier to just use a new cape that try to resalvage the old one. I really wish that I could have gone back and waited to mount the original cape. Now, several years and dozens of mounts later, my taxidermy skills have improved greatly so I decided to redo the mount from scratch. I was very picky with selecting my replacement cape making certain that the color patterns matched as well as the season of kill...

Interesting, I always just figured if you cant use the one you shot then you go euro. I learned something new today.

Interesting, I always just figured if you cant use the one you shot then you go euro. I learned something new today.
That's what I did with my unrecoverable that I found all stinky and with barely any cape left on him. Chopped his head and did a euro

• Like 1