Amazon pulls out of NYC deal not building new HQ there

Funny how many are thinking that this is a big loss for NYC and NYS, when it absolutely isn't.   As Biz said, that area is extremely congested and Amazon setting up business there would only make things worse.  Riding the subways is already like riding a cattle car.   Plus, why the hell should NYS give a company like Amazon tax breaks while the rest of us get JACK?  How much has Cuomo lowered our taxes?  NYC has plenty of jobs if you want to work.  Amazon setting up there wouldn't make any difference as far as adding needed jobs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steve D said:

They would rather be a sanctuary city and a union environment.

This is all political BS.  Yeah, there are unions in NYC, but plenty of non-union jobs also.   Don't listen to what either side of the aisle is saying about this, they are both talking from their a$$es.  The truth is that the majority of the working class NYC residents aren't shedding a tear that Amazon decided to go elsewhere.   Non of these people wanted them here in the first place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve863 said:

Don't listen to what either side of the aisle is saying about this, they are both talking from their a$$es.  The truth is that the majority of the working class NYC residents aren't shedding a tear that Amazon decided to go elsewhere.   Non of these people wanted them here in the first place.

I wasn't listening to them in the first place and thought it was odd that Cuomo would agree or push to have it there when  many places upstate  would have been a better fit and could use the 25,000 jobs.

Doesn't surprise me they pulled out since they can probably go just about anywhere they want.

Cuomo was only looking for the revenue any way. He could care less about the jobs.

• Like 1

Saw a docu-news segment a few months ago that pointed out the reasons Amazon should not be welcomed at any of the potential new locations. IRC, they had basically created a fake economy in 2-3 different locations already. Higher real estate $, exhortation rents, higher taxes, land development, traffic logistic issues, artificially inflated local economies, not to mention the tax incentive gifts from states/municipalities to entice a new location that taxpayers bare - making the majority of community residents that do NOT work at an Amazon facility spiral into poverty. Bezos is playing these new locations against each other like a game of Texas hold'em... Sure if you're interested the docu-news article it can be found on the web.

19 hours ago, steve863 said:

Funny how many are thinking that this is a big loss for NYC and NYS, when it absolutely isn't.   As Biz said, that area is extremely congested and Amazon setting up business there would only make things worse.  Riding the subways is already like riding a cattle car.   Plus, why the hell should NYS give a company like Amazon tax breaks while the rest of us get JACK?  How much has Cuomo lowered our taxes?  NYC has plenty of jobs if you want to work.  Amazon setting up there wouldn't make any difference as far as adding needed jobs.

A lot of small thinking by the left. Amazon was promising 25,000 jobs with an AVERAGE salary of $150k. Unless my math is wrong, the state income tax that could have been annually collected on that payroll would have been roughly $3 billion/year. Then there's the ancillary job creation and the tax collection on those salaries and the business taxes on those that employed them. And Amazon was planning on leasing and additional ONE MILLION sq ft of office space in NYC. That's a lot of taxes on the leasing corporations that would have collected that rent. Those taxes could have paid for a lot of infrastructure improvements in the area.

NYS has a $2.5 billion shortfall in this year's suggested budget. That's OK, all of us homeowners can just kick in another few hundred buck in next year's property taxes to offset the shortfall. We don't mind at all, right?

I don't see any side of an argument that says it's a good thing to lose the chance at gaining 25,000 high paying jobs in this state.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

A lot of small thinking by the left. Amazon was promising 25,000 jobs with an AVERAGE salary of $150k. Unless my math is wrong, the state income tax that could have been annually collected on that payroll would have been roughly $3 billion/year. Then there's the ancillary job creation and the tax collection on those salaries and the business taxes on those that employed them. And Amazon was planning on leasing and additional ONE MILLION sq ft of office space in NYC. That's a lot of taxes on the leasing corporations that would have collected that rent. Those taxes could have paid for a lot of infrastructure improvements in the area.

NYS has a $2.5 billion shortfall in this year's suggested budget. That's OK, all of us homeowners can just kick in another few hundred buck in next year's property taxes to offset the shortfall. We don't mind at all, right?

I don't see any side of an argument that says it's a good thing to lose the chance at gaining 25,000 high paying jobs in this state.

It seems like media from both the right and the left are giving the left and people like Ocasio-Cortez credit for Amazon bailing on this, but I tell you this is all political BS talk of one side putting the blame on the other.  NYC is crowded enough and the every day guy on the street simply did not want Amazon here to create even more kaos and congestion.  As I said before, NYC has plenty of jobs available if you are willing to work.  They don't need Amazon.  Also, do you really think there would have been 25,000 jobs created at $150K salaries??  Even in NYC getting a job paying $150K or more is not a simple task.  Plenty of people have been working there whole lives for a hell of a lot less and thinking that Amazon would just walk in and be giving out such salaries to 25,000 people right from the start is wishful thinking at best. 

Just seeing Cuomo and DiBlasio being given the middle finger here and not getting what they thought was a done deal is what is most satisfying here.  About time that these two clowns are put in their place.

Edited by steve863

Just now, virgil said:

Sounds like biting off your own nose to spite your face to me.  I can't see how this would have been a bad thing.

Then you guys should have tried to convince Cuomo to tell Amazon to set up in another part of NYS if you think losing Amazon is such a bad thing.  I can assure you that Cuomo don't give a rats butt about the people from upstate or even the people from NYC when it comes to this matter.  He was only looking at this as another notch on his own fat belt he could brag about.  He could give two $#!+$ how this is effecting the average citizen on the street.  He ain't losing any sleep over whether you have a job or not.  It would have just been another political victory for him, which I sure as hell am glad he didn't get!!

2 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

You guys? I already have a job, and it's not lobbying.

I have a job also.  Doubt that lobbying was an option.  Amazon had dozens of cities bidding for them to bring their headquarters to them.  They get offered tax incentives because of the massive revenue that their presence will generate- not to mention all the new ancillary businesses that would sprout up in the area as a result of Amazon and the local real estate boom that would have been realized.  Amazon is probably not interested in setting up elsewhere in NYS- there's obvious inherent value for big business to be close to NYC versus anyplace else that NYS has to offer.

5 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

But he's losing sleep over his budget shortfall.

Maybe he shouldn't have thrown our tax money into all his feel good programs, Mario Cuomo bridge, etc. and maybe we wouldn't be in such a hole?   Amazon shouldn't be the fix for the rest of his stupidity.