Fat Tire Ebike

BBDEric

I am not sure on exactly what your meaning is when you say used for hunting. So I will make a guess that you are using an ebike for transportation getting to your spot-stand or checking game cameras, scouting etc.

I was looking into ebikes myself and after some investigation into was what available I purchased a Rad Mini folding fat tire bike from Rad power Bikes. Rad is probably the leader when it comes to ebikes sales, they sell direct to the customer at decent prices and have a big nationwide following.

I bought the bike to have some fun on, I ride an Air Assault exercise bike every day to try and keep my old body in reasonably good condition. With the Rad Mini I can get outdoors and get some exercise and  go just about anywhere and hopefully have some fun doing so. I also like the mini's folding capability as it gets into a small package that I can pick up and put into the back of my compact station wagon.

The Rads have two modes for riding, one is with the throttle only which by just a twist the bike powers itself and the other is with pedal assist. With pedal assist you ride as you would with a regular bike but the motor will apply different degree of assist depending on terrain making it easy enough for anyone in decent condition to go just about anywhere. With pedal assist your range can be increased dramatically with a 25 to 30 mile range easily attained. I use just the pedal assist mode and my understanding is as long as one is using muscle to propel the bike in pedal assist it can be ridden just about anywhere a regular bike can be used.

I got my bike late in the fall so I did not get a chance to ride it as much as I would have liked but so far so good. I rode mostly off road on my own property up hills, around my pastures and through the woods on trails will no problem. Riding on a road I can easily maintain a brisk cruising speed. Can't wait for spring.

Rad Power Bikes has a comprehensive website along with a very active facebook page that will provide any info and help-support anyone may need.

Al

Mini_0508.jpg

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, airedale said:

I am not sure on exactly what your meaning is when you say used for hunting. So I will make a guess that you are using an ebike for transportation getting to your spot-stand or checking game cameras, scouting etc.

I was looking into ebikes myself and after some investigation into was what available I purchased a Rad Mini folding fat tire bike from Rad power Bikes. Rad is probably the leader when it comes to ebikes sales, they sell direct to the customer at decent prices and have a big nationwide following.

I bought the bike to have some fun on, I ride an Air Assault exercise bike every day to try and keep my old body in reasonably good condition. With the Rad Mini I can get outdoors and get some exercise and  go just about anywhere and hopefully have some fun doing so. I also like the mini's folding capability as it gets into a small package that I can pick up and put into the back of my compact station wagon.

The Rads have two modes for riding, one is with the throttle only which by just a twist the bike powers itself and the other is with pedal assist. With pedal assist you ride as you would with a regular bike but the motor will apply different degree of assist depending on terrain making it easy enough for anyone in decent condition to go just about anywhere. With pedal assist your range can be increased dramatically with a 25 to 30 mile range easily attained. I use just the pedal assist mode and my understanding is as long as one is using muscle to propel the bike in pedal assist it can be ridden just about anywhere a regular bike can be used.

I got my bike late in the fall so I did not get a chance to ride it as much as I would have liked but so far so good. I rode mostly off road on my own property up hills, around my pastures and through the woods on trails will no problem. Riding on a road I can easily maintain a brisk cruising speed. Can't wait for spring.

Rad Power Bikes has a comprehensive website along with a very active facebook page that will provide any info and help-support anyone may need.

Al

Mini_0508.jpg

Tha6s exactly what I am looking for. How does it do on hills. I have a 200 ft gradual elevation climb . 

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

Earlier this year I wrote an article on electric hunting bikes and their applications.  explaining what motors climb better than others and how to calculate the range of a battery etc.

It also picks the best bikes for hunting, built specifically for hunting activities.  Here's the article, I think you'll find it helpful:

Electric Hunting Bikes

Be safe out there.

John

• Like 1

First time I saw these e-bikes I thought they were a great product. A way for an aging or physically limited hunter to go to & from a semi-remote hunting location w/o a lot of physical exertion. Then I realized I'm at my hunting location assisted by the e-bike, now what do I do to get a deer out of the woods if I'm lucky enough???? This criteria took me to a higher powered e-bike with a trailer attachment option. Put me into a whole different $$ range!! FYI - about the same $$ range as a good, used 350/500 ATV. I'm sticking with my deer cart & slowly walking to my stands.

Curious as to how NYS views these used on/along the road. Is it like a bicycle or more like a scooter needing a license??