Which day pack do you use.

eaglemountainman

I don't use a day pack for still hunting whitetails in the Catskills, but I've booked a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming for this October, and think that I should have a pack. I need something to carry addition clothes so I can change out with the weather conditions, a tripod for my binos, lunch/snacks/water, a kill kit and whatever else might find its way in there. I've been giving a hard look at the Mystery Ranch, Pop Up 28. It seems like a perfect size and has an overload expanding feature. You can even use that feature, along with a minimalist internal frame and meat shelf, to haul meat. At $279, its seems a bit spendy, but I have yet to see a bad review. And since I intend to do a western hunt every year, now that I'm retired, I'm kinda thinking buy once, cry once. Curious as to to what y'all are using, and if anyone here has any experience with the Pop Up 28.

I use a Cabela's fanny pack with shoulder straps. It's roomy enough for the gear I carry and a light rain jacket, has straps on the outside  so one could carry other clothing, and lots of packets...

I like that I can slip it on and off while sitting and carries well on your back. 

That pop up 28 looks like a nice pack..Until last year I had used cheap packs. I splurged and bought an Eberlestock x2 . I love it and cannot believe I that I hadn't invested in a good pack before. I rarely go out without it . I often put a lot of distance on my feet so I carry my warm outer wear and all the other gear in the pack until I'm to where I'm going so I don't overheat.  It breaths really well and I don't arrive with a sweaty back like I did with every other pack I ever used..

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ncountry said:

That pop up 28 looks like a nice pack..Until last year I had used cheap packs. I splurged and bought an Eberlestock x2 . I love it and cannot believe I that I hadn't invested in a good pack before. I rarely go out without it . I often put a lot of distance on my feet so I carry my warm outer wear and all the other gear in the pack until I'm to where I'm going so I don't overheat.  It breaths really well and I don't arrive with a sweaty back like I did with every other pack I ever used..

The X2 looks like a terrific pack, also. It was actually the front runner until a friend suggested I check out the Pop Up 28. At $100 less, it might still get the nod.

Sweet video on the 18, but I would have questions about the weight load on the 28 when you add in the quarters.  Seems like that setup/distribution would really pull on the shoulders while hiking out.  Then again, you said you haven't seen a bad review so maybe that was already addressed by other buyers.  

I have a Badlands 2200 after using someone elses in mountains for several days climbing and covering some ground. Has a very good system for spotting scope and tripod; and a good system to compress down when not using the volume. Carried a fair load in broken terrain with maybe 75lbs meat and cape.

Bigger then the other options mentioned by a bit. I like the fit and carry for myself.

Honest I would order 2 narrowed down choices and put a load in each and see what fit you better, and send the other back. I was convinced another brand was a great option but just didn't adjust well enough to fit me and went back to Badlands.