Dog Attacks Deer on Ski Slope

Elmo

Saw this posted on FB.  Of course there was a heated debate on shooting the dog.  Can only shake your head at the owners of the dog.  This while I was on a short hike on Twin Lakes County Park this Saturday and watched an unleashed dog chase two does.  Never saw the owner.

Edited by Elmo

The deer/dog confrontations that I have seen like this one are not a very pleasant way to go. Many of these take place over a long distance. With a bite here and a chunk of meat there until the deer eventually drops of exhaustion and is finished off by being eaten alive. This is not like a lion or cheetah attack where the predator grabs its prey with a single bite and crushes its neck bringing a fairly quick kill. This is a slow lingering death that takes place over quite a length of time and distance. I would imagine coyote kills are done the same way.

I couldn't believe that no one interfered. Of course it was already too late That deer was as good as dead already.

12 hours ago, First-light said:

Collar on the dog. That deer is dead and the dog knew it. At that point let the dog eat it. Hope it didn't kill it then head home to a bowl of mighty dog! 

Everything I've read about dogs killing deer, is that they kill to kill, not consume. Pretty chitty..

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:07 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Everything I've read about dogs killing deer, is that they kill to kill, not consume. Pretty chitty..

Absolutely true. I learned that when I was a kid and we lost almost the entire flock of sheep to dogs. They just ran through the flock biting chunks out of each of them, and eating none of them. It turned out that the dogs were very well-fed  family pets that the owners allowed to run free. They were just killing for fun. It was pathetic finding the sheep the next morning, all tore up with huge patches of meat missing or hanging off them. Some of them died of shock just from being run relentlessly around the barnyard. Others had to be put down because of the severity of the wounds. Nothing was eaten.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:59 PM, mlammerhirt said:

Was it a domestic dog....or some type of wolf? What country did this happen?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Domestic dog.  It had a collar.  According to the description, it said it happened i Austria and the owner got a small fine.