Knife Steel

DirtTime

I was looking into a knife that can hold up much better, and do more then my hunting knives and pocket knives while camping in my backwoods camp. So, I started looking what steel would suit my needs best, and be within' my comfort zone when it comes to the hit on the wallet. I'm not talking a full on SHTF knife, but something pretty durable.

I wanted the ability to get a good and consistent spark from a ferro rod.

Solid batoning performance.

Solid edge retention.

Durable and not chip if I drop it on a rock.

Be easy to sharpen.

Not rust the first time I wash it.

I didn't know much about steel, still don't know much, but learned a bit over the past few days. I looked at the steel that I would prefer in the upper range ( not top of the line ). Mainly VG-10 and N-680. Both fit my bill perfectly! Except cost. Then I looked an D2 and- ( UGH ) AUS-8. The latter from what I read, sharpens easy and it's a great thing because you can't retain an edge. So, now it came really down to price point. Did a lot of research also on SK-5. This steel looks like it will serve my purpose and fit by budget.

So, made a mention to the wife....Birthday coming up..... But If I have to drop the cash so be it- I think I'm going with the Cold Steel SRK SK-5.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

VG10 is something more for chef knives. you don't want that i would think. i don't much about SK-5 other than it's like D2 tool steel but less brittle at same hardness supposedly, so it has to be alright. Googled the knife you mentioned. Seems solid with a thick blade. don't try holding a thinner edge and should work fine.

• Like 1

The knife you are leaning toward sounds like it will fit your bill, I have one "Cold Steel" knife and can attest that mine is of very good quality.

One of the best hard use knives ever made is the USMC Ka-Bar military, they have been around forever and are still being produced, their track record for handling tough conditions and chores is hard to beat. They are semi expensive but deals can be had with some shopping, as always you will get what you pay for and they are still made in the USA down in Olean NY.

Al

2019-02-19_181054.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

What do you plan on doing with it, seems a good hunting knife would do I'd think ??

Minor bushcrafting. No, most hunting knives would not hold up to serious batoning, or chopping and maintain an edge. If you know of a pure hunting knife that can hold to my original post I would be interested in looking at that knife.

1 hour ago, airedale said:

The knife you are leaning toward sounds like it will fit your bill, I have one "Cold Steel" knife and can attest that mine is of very good quality.

One of the best hard use knives ever made is the USMC Ka-Bar military, they have been around forever and are still being produced, their track record for handling tough conditions and chores is hard to beat. They are semi expensive but deals can be had with some shopping, as always you will get what you pay for and they are still made in the USA down in Olean NY.

Al

2019-02-19_181054.png

My first back woods knife when I was a teeny bopper was a Ka-Bar! I beat the crap out of that thing back then. Many lawns mowed to buy that beast! It didn't fail me. I don't even remember how I lost it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Hard to baton with a folder. But, just out of curiosity, what's the blade made of?

That one I got in  1995  kodiak model  600  still sharp as heck 

I can't find info anymore about that one 

But the new version says  they are made of 

7Cr17MoV brushed stainless steel.

1095 or 5160 .

Durable and easy to sharpen are somewhat polar opposites. D2 is very long lasting edge wise but harder to sharpen . You generally can get one or the other .

Personaly VG 10 is one of my favorites. It was designed for botanists to graft plants with , as other Steels were crushing the cells ,vg10 is very fine grain .

Look at Ontario knives , their  Rat series as well as Spec plus . I beat the crap out of my Spec plus .

Ive handled only one SRK, it as was to thick for my tastes , and I own three Striders ....

Make sure you handle one first 

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2

I have been collecting US made knives for some time and from this thread it has dawned on me that I do not have the Ka-Bar USMC probably one of the most famous fixed blade knives in existence. What the Hell, I just went over to Amazon and hit the buy it now button and problem solved.:yes: 

Al

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have been collecting US made knives for some time and from this thread it has dawned on me that I do not have the Ka-Bar USMC probably one of the most famous fixed blade knives in existence. What the Hell, I just went over to Amazon and hit the buy it now button and problem solved.:yes: 

Al

I had one in the 1970's. I broke it in half throwing it at a tree in 1979 in Slidell, Louisiana. Good knife! Bad knife thrower.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Lifetime warranty to bad you didnt send it back

I have several friends who go to garage sale and buy broken cutco and k bar knives for nothing , bring them in for brand new.. an example:  Pay 1 buck and get it replaced with new free Chef knife was worth 150.00 if bought new.. 

I've had an Old Timer, 'Sharpfinger' knife for decades. Used it mostly for camping. Have used it doing some work around the farm too. Has held up perfectly and holds a fairly good edge. Fixed blade, big and small enough for most camping needs. Can be bought for under $30. 

That covers most all of your requirements Rob.

1 minute ago, grampy said:

I've had an Old Timer, 'Sharpfinger' knife for decades. Used it mostly for camping. Have used it doing some work around the farm too. Has held up perfectly and holds a fairly good edge. Fixed blade, big and small enough for most camping needs. Can be bought for under $30. 

That covers most all of your requirements Rob.

i have one too. it gets abused. agreed edge is ok. seems like i use it for all the abusive jobs i've got. seems to have help up but isn't really my go to knife.

• Like 1