2019 Baseball Thread

grampy

Aaron Hicks (career .236 hitter) just got a 7 year extension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am a Yankee fan and am tired of a lot of the deals cashman makes. I don't mind the extension but the years I don't get. I can't wait to see a 36 year old Hicks on the DL. I hope I am wrong but if you can't stay on the field at 28, how do you stay on the field at 35.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Fans tend to view contracts on a year to year basis and not see the contract as a whole.  Let's say a 4 year, $60 million dollar a year deal to make it simple.  That comes to $15 million per year.  Just for argument sakes, lets say it is expected that the player's production will drop in years 3 and 4 but he is in his prime years at years 1 and 2.  If the team pays him $20 million a year for years 1 and 2 and only $10 million a year for years 3 and 4 then fan wouldn't mind it as much.  Well, imagine that same deal but the team decided to defer $5 million a year to the end of the contract.  In finance, that is actually beneficial to the team and not to the player.  One GM puts it as that in a long term contract, the team is expected to get it's value in the first 75% of the length of the contract.  The rest is just a signing bonus that was deferred.  I would also add that if played right, they can probably off load it to make it another teams problem.

The deferred money is what a lot of fans don't understand.  A lot of people still make fun of the fact that the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla due to their buy out.  In reality, the Mets saved money in that deal and Bobby actually lost value.

Since coming to the Yanks, he's been a 25 HR type of hitter and plays plus defense in CF.  For $10 million a year it seems fair.  WAR is all the rage and he's a 3-4 WAR player.  I think his age 36 season will not look as worth while but it's like deferred salary.

I agree $10M isn’t bad. But 2026 is

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Sale gets a 5 year $150 million dollar extension.  The price seems a little steep to me.  Then again, some other team may have been happy to give him that.  Better for the Sox to tie him up, as long as he can stay healthy late in the season.  Either way, I think he's a solid guy and can handle Boston.  Also, he has been pitching for peanuts under his old White Sox deal, so it evens out a little.

Chris Sale gets a 5 year $150 million dollar extension.  The price seems a little steep to me.  Then again, some other team may have been happy to give him that.  Better for the Sox to tie him up, as long as he can stay healthy late in the season.  Either way, I think he's a solid guy and can handle Boston.  Also, he has been pitching for peanuts under his old White Sox deal, so it evens out a little.

I like it a lot. 6 or 7 straight years top 6 in Cy Young. Great mentor to other pitchers too. Seems like he loves Boston.

Boston might be in trouble in the near future.  They're already in luxury tax hell and they have Xander's free agency at the end of the year, Mookie Betts extension, and JD Martinez opt out looming.

4 rings in 15 years, we are good for a while. Team of the century

The Mets have the best winning percentage on Opening Day in MLB. After that there's not to much to brag about. Hoping they win the division or at least a wild card this year. This years Opening Day starters promises to be a pitching duel :   deGrom vs. Scherzer

Lets Go Mets !

• Like 1

Opening Day Tomorrow Boys! 
Hope all your teams do well this season. Even yours Biz! But hope they play one less game than mine!
Lets- Go- Yank-ees!!!

Finally! Now i got something to watch at night for next 6 months

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Chris Davis of the Orioles has the dubious honor of owning the MLB hitless streak record...…..0 for 49.

And last year he had worst batting average in MLB history for anyone who qualified for batting title. I think .161?