2019 Baseball Thread

grampy

1 hour ago, grampy said:

This thread sure is a LOT quieter, than is was this time last year. I wonder why that is???? 

But the Sawx did pick up a ring. Even though they gutted their farm system, and maxed out their payroll to get it. To the point that Boston's short term future looks bleak at best. But hey....it's win or go home. I get that.

Bleak? How do you figure?  The starting pitching didn't come together.  Some hangover from WS and some injuries.  Other than that, the Sox have tons of young talent.  Near the top in offense and defense.  All they need is a couple starting pitchers and they are good to go. 

Pitching doomed them.  I would bet that Spankee fans will feel the same way when their starting rotation can't get them past the Astros.  

What is bleak about the best defensive outfield in the league?  MVP contenders on the left side of the infield.? All of those players are young.  MVP contender at DH?  Solid young catcher that can throw and hit.  Rookie IF who can play multiple positions and hit for power.

I hate the Yankees, but I'm not going to stray from the facts.  The Sox have a talented young core.  So do the Yankees.  But neither team has the kind of pitching that wins game in October.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

It doesn’t mean a thing if you don’t back into the wild card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The WC is over for us. But i'd still rather these young guys have great offensive seasons than bad ones just for the confidence going forward

45 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Oh, I used to watch plenty of games long before you were born, Biz.  I came to my senses, however, and have more productive things I can do with my time these days instead of watching 4 hour baseball games each night.  I don't have to watch 100 plus games to know that you like to throw it everyone's face when your team is winning and then make excuses when they aren't.  Just giving you a taste of your own medicine, that's all.  It don't taste too good, does it?   Yuk, castor oil.  LOL

But Yankees fan get excited too soon. Less than a year ago, Yanks had sox on the ropes. 1-1 series with 2 games in NY. It was over. Judge played "NY, NY" as I left Fenway after game 2. But then we witnessed the worst home playoff performance ever in history. Yanks were blasting music again last night. Better hope they win it this year. 

If I was a Yankees fan, I would be very nervous about the playoffs just like how I am being a chiefs fan in the playoffs. 

The Yankees aren't just slipping into the playoffs and then getting knocked off, they have dominant teams and aren't finishing the job. It's be a consistent theme this century. 100-win seasons are very rare and check this out:

2002 - 103 wins, no ring

2003 - 101 wins, no ring

2004 - 101 wins, no ring

2018 - 100 wins, no ring

2019 - 100+ wins, ring?

2005, 2006, 2011, 2012 were non-100 win seasons but 1st place divisional titles with no rings either. That's a crapton of regular season wins in 17 ring-less seasons this century.

download.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

But Yankees fan get excited too soon. Less than a year ago, Yanks had sox on the ropes. 1-1 series with 2 games in NY. It was over. Judge played "NY, NY" as I left Fenway after game 2. But then we witnessed the worst home playoff performance ever in history. Yanks were blasting music again last night. Better hope they win it this year. 

I've never made any predictions like you, Biz.  I won't be betting a cent that the Yankees will win it all.  I have seen plenty of teams have great years and then butcher it in the playoffs, especially in recent years with these extra playoff rounds.  I won't lose a wink of sleep either way.  None of this is very important in the scheme of things, that's why I laugh when guys talk about and argue this stuff day in and day out.  You think the players get all upset about disappointing fans when they lose?  Yeah, right.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I've never made any predictions like you, Biz.  I won't be betting a cent that the Yankees will win it all.  I have seen plenty of teams have great years and then butcher it in the playoffs, especially in recent years with these extra playoff rounds.  I won't lose a wink of sleep either way.  None of this is very important in the scheme of things, that's why I laugh when guys talk about and argue this stuff day in and day out.  You think the players get all upset about disappointing fans when they lose?  Yeah, right.

Did i ever once predict a sox WS this year? no way. it's nearly impossible to repeat these days in MLB. Look at the astros and many other teams the past 19 years.

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

what does that mean? We won 3 AL east Titles in a row. Win a ring, or this season is a bust again for the Yanks

it means we were better than you this year. that means something.

few years? you mean this century. It's 5-4 Yanks in rings in my lifetime, I think we will catch them soon.

point is you're dogging on cashman. the guy has 4 rings. That's pretty impressive. Unlike your organization who just fired their GM a year after a title. 

but what's really impressive is the talent out the farm system. guys like judge who came out of nowhere. anybody can sell the farm and max salaries like the sox did last year. it's another to find so much talent in the minors that you're not sure you can give them all plate time they deserve. 

Edited by Belo

4 rings in 15 years. We are 2 pitchers away from being 2020 favorites. Stats don't lie.........Betts, Boegarts, Devers, JD Martinez....that's 4 guys who will finish top 20 in AL MVP. And 3 of them are super young along with Benintendi. We aren't going anyway- our future is bright! Porcello comes off the books, Panda comes off the books, so there is money to spend on pitching.

we are 2 pitchers away, wah wah wah. We haven't had stanton or severino and are still one of the best teams in baseball. quiturbitchin 

You and several others are confused. The Yankees are the same to me as the Royals, Marlins, etc. I root for sox, period. I only state facts when yankees fans come out of the woodwork when they have a good team. If you aren't watching 100+ games per year, in my opinion you are not a fan of a baseball team.

i pay out the ass to get YES and watch bits and pieces of just about every game. I'm just not active in this thread. 

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

If I was a Yankees fan, I would be very nervous about the playoffs just like how I am being a chiefs fan in the playoffs. 

The Yankees aren't just slipping into the playoffs and then getting knocked off, they have dominant teams and aren't finishing the job. It's be a consistent theme this century. 100-win seasons are very rare and check this out:

2002 - 103 wins, no ring

2003 - 101 wins, no ring

2004 - 101 wins, no ring

2018 - 100 wins, no ring

2019 - 100+ wins, ring?

2005, 2006, 2011, 2012 were non-100 win seasons but 1st place divisional titles with no rings either. That's a crapton of regular season wins in 17 ring-less seasons this century.

download.jpg

a redsox fan saying choke is hilarious. Don't forget the last 2 years we were supposed to be rebuilding when guys like glaybor, judge and didi came out of nowhere. Now throw other surprises like voit, urshela and tauchman! come on!

14 minutes ago, Belo said:

it means we were better than you this year. that means something.

point is you're dogging on cashman. the guy has 4 rings. That's pretty impressive. Unlike your organization who just fired their GM a year after a title. 

but what's really impressive is the talent out the farm system. guys like judge who came out of nowhere. anybody can sell the farm and max salaries like the sox did last year. it's another to find so much talent in the minors that you're not sure you can give them all plate time they deserve. 

Why Cashman impressive? it's just longevity. He couldn't hold Theo's jockstrap.

Aaron Judge came out of nowhere? he was a 1st round pick lol

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

we are 2 pitchers away, wah wah wah. We haven't had stanton or severino and are still one of the best teams in baseball. quiturbitchin 

i pay out the ass to get YES and watch bits and pieces of just about every game. I'm just not active in this thread. 

Severino stinks. You better hope he doesn't pitch in playoffs. Stanton is irrelevant. 

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

a redsox fan saying choke is hilarious. Don't forget the last 2 years we were supposed to be rebuilding when guys like glaybor, judge and didi came out of nowhere. Now throw other surprises like voit, urshela and tauchman! come on!

100-win seasons should result in WS rings or at worst a WS apperance. Enjoy your regular season wins. It's like my bragging about all the chiefs regular season wins in the 1990's.

Yanks blew ALCS vs Astros in 2017 and ALDS vs Sox in 2018. What will be the 2019 result?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

100-win seasons should result in WS rings or at worst a WS apperance. Enjoy your regular season wins. It's like my bragging about all the chiefs regular season wins in the 1990's.

Yanks blew ALCS vs Astros in 2017 and ALDS vs Sox in 2018. What will be the 2019 result?

i can't talk shit as the season isn't over. the stros have a hell of a team, that's for sure. we didn't have the best AL record any of those years, so we weren't favorites either. This year is different I agree. 

Edited by Belo

1 minute ago, Belo said:

the 32nd. he wasn't expected to do as well as he has or 31 other teams would have picked him up first. 

That makes no sense.He was a first round pick and hit a ton of minor league homers. He was the 23rd ranked prospect in all of baseball in 2015 by Keith Law. do some research

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

i can't talk shit as the season isn't over. the stros have a hell of a team, that's for sure.

they did last year too, just run them over like we did last year. 100-win yanks, 100-win astros, 100-win dodgers.........first team ever to beat three 100-win teams in a season. Yanks will have their shot this year if they end up playing Twins, Astros, Dodgers.

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

why did teams pass Mike Trout and Mookie Betts? They are MVP guys.

because they didn't think they would be who they were. so they were good gm finds. that was my only point biz. Judge was never thought of as an mvp home run champ and he is. these 3 guys are generational type talent. you're lucky to get 1 out of every first round pick you have in a decade. 

Edited by Belo

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

because they didn't think they would be who they were. so they were good gm finds. that was my only point biz. Judge was never thought of as an mvp home run champ and he is. 

Well if you think Cashman did something special by "finding" Judge at the 32nd pick, you must be shook at the fact that the Red Sox found Betts at 172nd pick and Bogaerts undrafted. Because let's not forget, tiny Mookie Betts the 5-9' 2nd baseman has had 2.5 times better career than Aaron Judge so far and is 1 year younger as well. 41 WAR vs 17 WAR

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

You guys are bringing back memories of arguments in my elementary school yard during lunch recess.  This was in the early 70's.  The boys were arguing about who was the best shortstop in NY.   Bud Harrelson for the Mets or Gene Michael for the Yankees.   Truth was they both sucked.  Bud's career batting average was .236 and Gene's was .229.   Gene had the power, though.  He hit 15 home runs in a 10 year career, while Bud hit 7 in a 16 year career.  LOL

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, steve863 said:

You guys are bringing back memories of arguments in my elementary school yard during lunch recess.  This was in the early 70's.  The boys were arguing about who was the best shortstop in NY.   Bud Harrelson for the Mets or Gene Michael for the Yankees.   Truth was they both sucked.  Bud's career batting average was .236 and Gene's was .229.   Gene had the power, though.  He hit 15 home runs in a 10 year career, while Bud hit 7 in a 16 year career.  LOL

In elementary school for me it was all about college football. I was Michigan fan, there was a Notre Dame fan, a Miami fan, etc. this was 1993-1995 so none of us got a championship lol. I got mine in middle school with Charles Woodson

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

In elementary school for me it was all about college football. I was Michigan fan, there was a Notre Dame fan, a Miami fan, etc. this was 1993-1995 so none of us got a championship lol. I got mine in middle school with Charles Woodson

Jeez, you must have attended a boring preppy elementary school if college football was the sport you talked about.  I don't even turn on my TV on Saturday's during the Fall knowing that there will be a college football game on every bloody channel I turn to from morning to night.

19 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Jeez, you must have attended a boring preppy elementary school if college football was the sport you talked about.  I don't even turn on my TV on Saturday's during the Fall knowing that there will be a college football game on every bloody channel I turn to from morning to night.

I'm not following? College Football was awesome for kids in the 1990's. A chance to see many different teams from around the country on local TV. Poll Rankings were always on espn in morning before i went to school, etc. Sports was everything as a kid- not preppy at all. Everyone wore their favorite team's starter jacket to school.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'm not following? College Football was awesome for kids in the 1990's. A chance to see many different teams from around the country on local TV. Poll Rankings were always on espn in morning before i went to school, etc. Sports was everything as a kid- not preppy at all. Everyone wore their favorite team's starter jacket to school.

ZERO interest in college sports for me.  It amazes me how many people follow it.  I guess they have way more time to waste than I do.  I remember kids talking about the Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, and opposing teams in these leagues, but college sports was on no ones radar.  Different generation I guess.