Lower the voting age to 16 years old?

I heard this on the radio tonight and thought it was a joke.  It's not!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/opinion/sunday/voting-age-school-shootings.html

The article states “The proposal to lower the voting age to 16 is motivated by today’s outrage that those most vulnerable to school shootings have no say in how such atrocities are best prevented.”

So a 16 year old is smart enough to know the TRUE root causes of gun violence?

So a 16 year old is smart enough to identify politicians that will enforce real school security measures, keep violent criminals locked up for life and remove the violent mentally ill from public?

Edited by ADK Native
  • Like 1

All of this current legal age debate is ridiculous.  How is it some things are legal at 18 and some not legal until 21?  You're either an adult or you're not.

This society needs to decide what the legal age is, and it should be applied to everything.  If it isn't, the absence of logic is obvious.

If you can be a soldier or executed at 18, but can't drink a beer or buy a rifle, society is really confused about what being an adult really means.

That being said, 16 year old youth are still under the control of the public education system, have no real world experience and will often follow the crowd on political issues.  They don't pay taxes, are not yet productive members of society and have little, if any knowledge, about the electoral process or legislation.

Pre-born children are the most vulnerable to abortion.  Should we give them the right to vote based on the flawed logic being applied to this situation?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ADK Native said:

I heard this on the radio tonight and thought it was a joke.  It's not!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/opinion/sunday/voting-age-school-shootings.html

The article states “The proposal to lower the voting age to 16 is motivated by today’s outrage that those most vulnerable to school shootings have no say in how such atrocities are best prevented.”

So a 16 year old is smart enough to know the TRUE root causes of gun violence?

So a 16 year old is smart enough to identify politicians that will enforce real school security measures, keep violent criminals locked up for life and remove the violent mentally ill from public?

Yea all the school shootings 

How many people even know  anyone that's been shot  personally let alone been in a school shooting its  like getting hit by lightning. 

They just know  16 year old girls are easily tricked by media ,  And will vote blue just because Ms rottencrotch The creative writing teacher said so .  Or because there favorite   movie star  says so .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

Yea all the school shootings 
How many people even know  anyone that's been shot  personally let alone been in a school shooting its  like getting hit by lightning. 
They just know  16 year old girls are easily tricked by media ,  And will vote blue just because Ms rottencrotch The creative writing teacher said so .  Or because there favorite   movie star  says so .

Ummmm. I had three niece's in the sandy Hook shooting and one in the Vegas shooting. All survived unscathed physically. Not sure what your point was.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

Ummmm. I had three niece's in the sandy Hook shooting and one in the Vegas shooting. All survived unscathed physically. Not sure what your point was.

I said that got shot , 

And even if what you say is true  which  people like to exaggerated  saying they happened  to be in area like that huge kid did.  thats like me saying I heard gun fire in the woods .

Or in the distance or me saying I saw a lightning strike .  so we should make a meaningless feel good law over it ? so some politician can make a name for himself that's all it's about.

I said that got shot , 
And even if what you say is true  which  people like to exaggerated  saying they happened  to be in area like that huge kid did.  thats like me saying I heard gun fire in the woods .
Or in the distance or me saying I saw a lightning strike .  so we should make a meaningless feel good law over it ? so some politician can make a name for himself that's all it's about.

You really are a trip man. Enjoy your night.

• Like 1

This is more proof of the failures in the public education system.  The failure to develop the intellect of young minds and educate them to understand the complexities of thinking like an intelligent adult.

School shootings are an awful tragedy without question.  But where is their "outrage" for the many more young lives lost from motor vehicle accidents on cell phones, drug over doses and abortions?   Where is their outrage against incompetent gun control politicians that have failed to protect them?  Instead they follow these politicians like the Pied Piper over the  cliff of gun control stupidity?

• Like 2

The 26th amendment gave 18 year old's the right to vote in federal elections you would have to amend the Constitution to lower the age to vote in federal election. 16 year old's would not be able to vote for the president a senator or a congress person. They would have to put voting machines in for 16 & 17 year old's only.