Rain Gear

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Junk

Not exactly durable, and has never fit in with any activity I have done.

I have a First Light coat (stormtight?);I like as it has a long cut and good for sitting amd I like the pit zips. Also have some Kyrptek pants I like for fit.

For backpacking/fishing tough to beat Patagonia pants and jacket for weight/durability/pack-ability, and price.

Have some Cabelas MT050 that is about as quiet as I have found with a softer surface finish thats my back up set. Bit warm for walking, and not cheap unless on sale.

9 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Not exactly durable, and has never fit in with any activity I have done.

I have a First Light coat (stormtight?);I like as it has a long cut and good for sitting amd I like the pit zips. Also have some Kyrptek pants I like for fit.

For backpacking/fishing tough to beat Patagonia pants and jacket for weight/durability/pack-ability, and price.

Have some Cabelas MT050 that is about as quiet as I have found with a softer surface finish thats my back up set. Bit warm for walking, and not cheap unless on sale.

Much better put than what I added.......thank you for your civility. :)

I have a Cabela's coat as a daily wear rain coat (Goretex) that has pretty low miles but has always done what it should.  The Helly Hansen Impertech olive green jacket and pants has worked out goof for me in the past.

47 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Much better put than what I added.......thank you for your civility. :)

I have a Cabela's coat as a daily wear rain coat (Goretex) that has pretty low miles but has always done what it should.  The Helly Hansen Impertech olive green jacket and pants has worked out goof for me in the past.

Glad they worked out "goof" for you . :taunt: :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

thanks for the suggestions. picked up a cabela's goretex packable rain suit on ebay for $95 (new with tags) in size large (hoping it will fit over my Sitka medium stratus set). Looked at USMC goretex lightweight suits but couldn't find the pant size I needed. Looks like you can get some good deals on the USMC goretex pants and jackets but found many are kind of old (even new ones) and was not sure how good the goretex would be after all this time.

thanks again

This past fall i purchased a rain jacket from Kuiu, I went on a Moose hunt in Newfoundland and needed something that i could pack with little weight. It was the best investment i ever made, that jacket kept me dry every day and was super light to carry. One of the best investments i have made in hunting gear.

9 minutes ago, Tarheelsaint said:

This past fall i purchased a rain jacket from Kuiu, I went on a Moose hunt in Newfoundland and needed something that i could pack with little weight. It was the best investment i ever made, that jacket kept me dry every day and was super light to carry. One of the best investments i have made in hunting gear.

More importantly, how did you do?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tarheelsaint said:

I looked at the kuiu. sitka, mt050, huk, and browning offerings but didn't want to spend the beans on expensive rain gear for hunting my own property (I don't do excursions anymore) since if it gets bad enough, I can just walk back to the house. I did want to get goretex as I have had great luck with that stuff in my hunting outfits, golf/fishing goretex outfits. The cabela's was goretex and cheap enough for my purpose. If I was going to hunt away from the house or had to travel a bit to go hunting, I surely would have sprung for the higher end gear. BTW - did you bag a moose?

Definitely liked my Sitka rain gear as Moog noted. It was worth the entry price. I can see myself wearing it for a long time.

The kuiu rain gear is often very well spoken of.

Gander's house brand was probably the best value I've experienced. My prior set lasted 10 years before the shoulder/back seams gave out during a rain-filled day.