A list of the proposed chemicals to be used in the hydro-fracking process in NYS

TO DRILL OR NOT TO DRILL THAT IS THE ? (Do NOT vote until you have read the NYSDEC July 2011 SGEIS report)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. TO DRILL OR NOT TO DRILL THAT IS THE ? (Do NOT vote until you have read the NYSDEC July 2011 SGEIS report)

• YAY
    • NAY

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you check...there has not been a single proven case where hydrofracking has contaminated a water supply, well or ground area. Having said that... I find it strange that they need to use such a toxic chemical when hydrofracturing for natural gas... hydrofracturing has been used for years for increasing the water volume in well water systems... but only water and high pressure are used to open the already existing fractures in the ground to allow more water flow.. why can't they do the same with natural gas minus the chemical? ???

Chesapeake is fined more than $1 million in Pennsylvania

Click on above full article

If you check...there has not been a single proven case where hydrofracking has contaminated a water supply, well or ground area. Having said that... I find it strange that they need to use such a toxic chemical when hydrofracturing for natural gas... hydrofracturing has been used for years for increasing the water volume in well water systems... but only water and high pressure are used to open the already existing fractures in the ground to allow more water flow.. why can't they do the same with natural gas minus the chemical? ???

The chemicals are used to reduce friction, kill algae and break down mineral deposits in the well. Various well services firms make different proprietary blends of the solutions and supply them to the drilling companies, which blend them with water at the well site before pumping them underground.

In recent years, some makers of the solutions have sought to replace toxic ingredients with “green” or food-based additives. For instance, Range Resources Corp., one of the most active drilling companies in Pennsylvania, is close to rolling out a 100 percent biodegradable friction reducer, spokesman Matt Pitzarella said Monday.

Wouldn't that be nice. ;D

The chemicals are used to reduce friction, kill algae and break down mineral deposits in the well. Various well services firms make different proprietary blends of the solutions and supply them to the drilling companies, which blend them with water at the well site before pumping them underground.

In recent years, some makers of the solutions have sought to replace toxic ingredients with “green” or food-based additives. For instance, Range Resources Corp., one of the most active drilling companies in Pennsylvania, is close to rolling out a 100 percent biodegradable friction reducer, spokesman Matt Pitzarella said Monday.

Wouldn't that be nice. ;D

Range Resources has paid $288,875 in fines to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as of February 2011[7].  The bulk was $141,175 levied for a fracking fluid spill that killed  aquatic life in Washington County's Brush Creek (protected by the state  as a "high-quality waterway"), according to the Pittsburgh Business  Times.[8

I guess this wasn't proven either

Dave

Dave

If this gas reserve becomes  a true proven reserve, that will only happen when the drilling starts next year, what are you going to do when Chesapeake Energy offers you $4,500 bucks an acre and 20% royalties on your 100 acres. I find it hard to believe people will say no. The landscape will truly change if NY wells start producing next year.

Burt money has never impressed me, I am almost 62 and at this point in life I have provided for my needs. I would rather protect the land and water than line my pockets. But you are right some people are all about the money. Imagine what NY will look like once this gets stared, I shutter think about it. Who will police these well drillers?

Dave

Dave, you are the exception to the rule and are deserving of the praise for such a stance.

No matter what, is the the risk worth the reward. IMHO, it is not.

would the advent of these gas companies buying/leasing everyones land curb the ever growing suburban sprawl that alot of NY has seen in the last 20 years and perhaps keep more areas of our state forested and wild because no one would wanna build here? is it possible we sportsman are looking at this the wrong way ::)

Ive been reading up a bit on this issue, and havent come to any conclusions yet, but I did want to make one point about NG wells. We have them all over the place out in WNY, as we sit on one of the largest NG pockets in the northeast. You see the wells, sure,but they arent big unsightly things, they are pretty small actually, and we havent had many issues with blowouts, fires, etc. I seem to remember back when they were drilling most of them in the 80s, that alot of people were talking about pollution and all of the various possible disasters that could be caused by all of the wells being drilled. None of it happened, and now 20 years later, you really have to be looking for them to see the wells.

Ive been reading up a bit on this issue, and havent come to any conclusions yet, but I did want to make one point about NG wells. We have them all over the place out in WNY, as we sit on one of the largest NG pockets in the northeast. You see the wells, sure,but they arent big unsightly things, they are pretty small actually, and we havent had many issues with blowouts, fires, etc. I seem to remember back when they were drilling most of them in the 80s, that alot of people were talking about pollution and all of the various possible disasters that could be caused by all of the wells being drilled. None of it happened, and now 20 years later, you really have to be looking for them to see the wells.

This is true and accidents are a small percentage but when they happen it's catastrophic. Think of the gulf spill. If it plays out there will be many more wells drilled in the Southern tier than we have ever seen. I'm still on the fence about this.

Buck, 30 years ago there were gas leases on lots of land in NYS but they were never drilled. The type of drilling was vertical and not as intrusive as Hydro Fracking which used millions of gallons of water for each well. Not to mention the sand and chemicals pumped down the well. This type drilling is horizontal and much deeper than previous wells they typically drill down 7 or 8 thousand feet. Plus they are talking about drilling thousands of wells in southern NY.

Dave.

Buck, 30 years ago there were gas leases on lots of land in NYS but they were never drilled. The type of drilling was vertical and not as intrusive as Hydro Fracking which used millions of gallons of water for each well. Not to mention the sand and chemicals pumped down the well. This type drilling is horizontal and much deeper than previous wells they typically drill down 7 or 8 thousand feet. Plus they are talking about drilling thousands of wells in southern NY.

Dave.

Gottcha

All i can say is that i have read the report and in my OPINION the money that it will bring will last only for a short time, 30 years tops. And in that 30 years they expect roughly 50,000 wells to be drilled on average 1600 wells a year. At what cost? Water, air, plant and animal damage? Damage to the human race ? I really think the OVERALL damage will cost us more than we know at this point. Its seems kinda like asbestos to me everyone thought it was great until people noticed the repercussions from it. You know why does it always seem to take 30 years down the road to find out," O we shouldnt have put that asbestos in that school it gave cancer to most of the kids." You know why does it always have to be money now we will worry about the problems later. So in my OPINION i say we worry about what could happen to us, and our children now! Instead of finding that we've made a huge mistake 30 years down the road.  I think we need to move away from fracking and learn from other states good fortune or mistakes. Another point is the price of natural gas can only go up so if we wait and take a harder look and find out that it is ok or maybe they find a better way to get the gas out then we are due to make more money when everyone else is tapped out. Its like money in the bank and the numbers can only go up. So with that said I say NAY at least for now. 

By the way I forgot to mention that the report states 50,000 well pads roughly in 30 years with an average of 4 wells per pad.

With state budget limitations and shortfalls, oil and gas regulators are spread too thin to do their jobs, even with the minimal guidelines in place. Cuomo himself seems to have admitted inconsistencies in his energy policy when he banned fracking in the New York City watershed but opened it for most of the state. If fracking is safe, why not allow it near New York City? If it is not safe, are the watersheds of rural peoples less valuable than that of the cities? We need a lot more research on fracking before we embrace it as national policy or a state policy matter of factly. As usual however, science follows our thirst for cheap energy rather than creating a path for long-term clean energy independence through careful research and cautious treading.

http://earthjustice.org/features/campaigns/fracking-across-the-united-states

http://www.texasobserver.org/forrestforthetrees/a-big-fracking-deal

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Fracking

http://globalcomment.com/2011/fracking-in-new-york-the-real-cost/

Read your own article before you post maybe Dave.. That was a well drilling insident not a hydrofracking insident.. I'm not saying hydrofracking is a good thing.. only nothing has been proven... just  alleged

DEP said improper well casing and cementing allowed natural gas to seep into groundwater and contaminate 16 families’ drinking water wells in northern Pennsylvania’s Bradford County. The department began investigating the complaints last year. In November, it won approval of stronger well-casing and cementing rules that a top DEP official has said would have prevented the gas migration.

Read your own article before you post maybe Dave.. That was a well drilling insident not a hydrofracking insident.. I'm not saying hydrofracking is a good thing.. only nothing has been proven... just  alleged

DEP said improper well casing and cementing allowed natural gas to seep into groundwater and contaminate 16 families’ drinking water wells in northern Pennsylvania’s Bradford County. The department began investigating the complaints last year. In November, it won approval of stronger well-casing and cementing rules that a top DEP official has said would have prevented the gas migration.

Joe, someone on this site told me it's a waste of time trying to have a discussion with a lunatic.

He was absolutely right. 

Dave

on this whole Fracking deal everything in life gives you cancer and everyone knows it every other month some one is coming out saying this will give you cancer. and for the chemicals tell me what is difference if a tanker of gas or oil that everyone usees in there car crashed next to a river or creek and spills everything in the tanker into it and that creek or river is contaminated. last i new all hunter and fishermen drive there cars to the wood or creek. if everything is so bad why don't the DEC come out and say no instead of putting up regulations ?????????  drilling is no different the driving your boat on the river or lake and then what are you going to do if it sinks????  you wont be cleaning that up i mean come on i love the out doors to but all i got to say is that everyone keeps driving there car everyday there tractors and have there homes all air conditioners running some one tell me the difference please...............

(If you don't want the to drill on your land you don't have to)

on this whole Fracking deal everything in life gives you cancer and everyone knows it every other month some one is coming out saying this will give you cancer. and for the chemicals tell me what is difference if a tanker of gas or oil that everyone usees in there car crashed next to a river or creek and spills everything in the tanker into it and that creek or river is contaminated. last i new all hunter and fishermen drive there cars to the wood or creek. if everything is so bad why don't the DEC come out and say no instead of putting up regulations ??? ??? ???  drilling is no different the driving your boat on the river or lake and then what are you going to do if it sinks? ???  you wont be cleaning that up i mean come on i love the out doors to but all i got to say is that everyone keeps driving there car everyday there tractors and have there homes all air conditioners running some one tell me the difference please...............

(If you don't want the to drill on your land you don't have to)

I think it's more complicated than that.

Dave

Joe, someone on this site told me it's a waste of time trying to have a discussion with a lunatic.

He was absolutely right. 

Dave

Tough admitting you don't even read your own links?... Have a good argument once in a while Dave...maybe something true instead of something you create out of thin air

If you check...there has not been a single proven case where hydrofracking has contaminated a water supply, well or ground area. Having said that... I find it strange that they need to use such a toxic chemical when hydrofracturing for natural gas... hydrofracturing has been used for years for increasing the water volume in well water systems... but only water and high pressure are used to open the already existing fractures in the ground to allow more water flow.. why can't they do the same with natural gas minus the chemical? ??? hesapeake i

Cs fined more than $1 million in Pennsylvania

Click on above full artic

He was absolutely right. 

Dave

Tough admitting you don't even read your own links?... Have a good argument once in a while Dave...maybe something true instead of something you create out of thin air

You point was that gas well drilling (Hydro Fracking) never contaminated a water supply.  Whether it's methane or fracking fluid that gets in your well water it's contaminated. Read the post again,don't know what part of contaminated you don't understand. You may have another definition for contamination. Or you just can't comprehend something when you are dead wrong.

Dave

Range Resources has paid $288,875 in fines to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as of February 2011[7].    The bulk was $141,175 levied for a fracking fluid spill that killed    aquatic life in Washington County's Brush Creek (protected by the  state  as a "high-quality waterway"), according to the Pittsburgh  Business  Times.[8

I guess this wasn't proven either

And so, here we are again. Yet another thread turned into a fecal blizzard. If we work real hard we can turn the whole sight into one big flame. We're well on our way.

Sorry it has to get to that point, when even facts are not good enough for some people.

Dave