A list of the proposed chemicals to be used in the hydro-fracking process in NYS

TO DRILL OR NOT TO DRILL THAT IS THE ? (Do NOT vote until you have read the NYSDEC July 2011 SGEIS report)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. TO DRILL OR NOT TO DRILL THAT IS THE ? (Do NOT vote until you have read the NYSDEC July 2011 SGEIS report)

• YAY
    • NAY

Center puch

I dont know why she would be lying to me. She's a proffessor at SU, so its not like she's misinformed. Maybe the guy she talked to was a liar  :)

Center punch, I am not questioning your Aunt's in any way. Just telling you what I was told and how that was different from what they told your aunt. If they offered her $600,000 per year I would say show me the money. Not trying to offend anyone , just passing along information. They don't offer that type of money unless they know exactly what's under the land.

Dave

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the guy was just telling her "roughly" how much $$ she would be looking at. I dont even think she lives in the Marcellus shale area anyhow. My main point is that especially int his economy, which is getting worse by the day, who in their right mind is passing up that kind of money? Thats enough money to re-locate to another part of the country and not worry about it.

Exactly

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

We New Yorkers need to make OUR OFFICIALS that WE ELECTED accountable. We need to voice our opinions loud and clear. I just had a son last year and I think all the time, "How can I NOT leave things better for him than the way they were left for me" We are playing russian roulette with our environment, our health and well-being. Hydro-fracking is wrong on so many levels that i REALLY do not see how they can even concieve the idea of allowing it. It is not going to make things any better for my family's future, or the future of this state. So why are we going to do it? Are we going to do it because the money is here and now? That's just not good enough for me and I'm no rich man by any monetary means. Do you guys have sons and daughters? Do you worry about how you are going to leave this state, this country, this world to your sons, your daughters, your nieces and nephews. Whats really important here the money or the people that we care about that we have to leave behind someday? "In God We Trust" and I hope the people of this state realize what is truly important. I know what matters most to me in my life. 

Good post.

• 3 weeks later...

We as americans need to get past our dependency on all fossil fuels both foreign and domestic. We're destroying millions of acres of land we can never get back and all for a source of energy that can never sustain us in the long run.

America is clinging to fossil fields like a child clinging to his blanket. A series of windfarms in 4 midwestern states could supply the entire US with all the clean sustainable energy it needs.

Thats a quote from a lecture I attended at the university of albany by Dr john Delano, one if the most highly respected geo-chemists in the country.

We as americans need to get past our dependency on all fossil fuels both foreign and domestic. We're destroying millions of acres of land we can never get back and all for a source of energy that can never sustain us in the long run.

America is clinging to fossil fields like a child clinging to his blanket. A series of windfarms in 4 midwestern states could supply the entire US with all the clean sustainable energy it needs.

Thats a quote from a lecture I attended at the university of albany by Dr john Delano, one if the most highly respected geo-chemists in the country.

I would think that anyone who invents a practical alternative fuel, or products that run on practical alternative fuel sources would be so stinking rich that they would find it difficult to store all their money. I'm sure that revenues and/or royalties from such a discovery would far surpass the Bill Gates empire. I also know that money is a powerful motivator. So we really shouldn't need any further incentives should we? So the question of the day/year/century is, "why hasn't it happened yet?" The answer that comes to mind is the "practical" part of that miracle invention. There is no shortage of ideas for alternative energy, but most of it is so darned far out that no one can afford to pay for it. So it turns out to be an invention that may not be so easy to come by.

As to the question of Americans being addicted to fossil fuels, I have to say that hardly any Americans really are addicted to fossil fuels, it is just that there is no alternative. If you really want to run any of the items of our lifestyle, it takes energy to do so. Right now, even as expensive as it is getting, petroleum is the super bargain for powering anything. Nothing else is even in the running. It has nothing to do with an American love affair with petroleum. The products and inventions simply are not there and the few that pop up are priced beyond the range of widespread acceptance or have other impracticalities.

Oh, and by the way, don't invest all your hopes in wind farms. Profits in that industry are only possible through massive government subsidies and those are not temporary start-up gifts. Plus, even with all the massive investments in "wind farms across the nation, I am still waiting to hear of a single refinery or nuclear power plant that has been shut down and replaced by windmills.