Horseback hunting NY ?

Hunter007

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

My uncle had quarters when i was a kid , they reminded me of cats ,they only wanted attention when they wanted it . 

My dad  told me a one time  the horse they had   when he was kid like when he was  10 years old  ,  bit  him by the pants on his  leg and had him upside down  because my dad was poking him with a nail to get the horse to move . He said good thing his dad was near by to save him or that horse could have killed him .  

8 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

Seems I remember, about 20 years or so ago, there was an outfitter that did back country horse camps deep in the Adirondacks with big canvas wall tents and the whole 9 yards.

Neil Taylor did that back in the 80s and 90s....He is no longer doing it, and may be dead by now...However there may be other guys doing it..

I never hunted with Neil, but several friends of mine hunted with him annually for a period of ten years or so... He set up the wall tents and then packed the hunters back in  on a horse drawn wagon...Once in camp, they hunted on foot...

• Like 2

Back around 1970 my Dad and myself did an 10 day old fashioned Mule and Horse pack train Elk hunt in Colorado, no motorized equipment of any kind. We hunted from Horseback out of  wall tent base camps in some wild country and I still consider it to have been the trip and experience of my lifetime. We had about a twenty mile ride into the mountains to get to our camp and I learned what the term "saddle sore" means, after a few days I was broke in lol. We both got an elk by the way.

Al

Edited by airedale

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 11:55 PM, eaglemountainman said:

Seems I remember, about 20 years or so ago, there was an outfitter that did back country horse camps deep in the Adirondacks with big canvas wall tents and the whole 9 yards.

I did it.  We went 14 miles into the ADK to the Cold River near Tupper Lake during the one week where deer & bear are hunted with muzzleloader.  I forget the guys name.  Was just wondering the other day if he was still in business.  Cost $1000 for the week back then.

• Like 2