New bill / no more tournaments.

TreeGuy

2 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Senseless maiming.... Says the guy who shoots deer in the a$$.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

What do mean ?  That was one of the cleanest kills I ever pulled off.   One shot, immediate drop, meat damage limited to a groove across the top of heart and a neck roast.  The guts came out as clean as a whistle.  I don't know how you could kill one with less maiming than that.  

Do you know if the big buck you were chasing last season survived ? Maybe them big yotes ate him post-rut.   

So what your saying is, you recommend a Texas heart shot ? Or, you have senselessly maimed every other deer you shot... As do all of us who strive for a heart or double lung shot ?

Which big guy are you talking about ? U need to be more specific.

Yotes.... Been stacking them up pretty good and it's highly unlikely they have taken down a mature deer with this mild winter.

Anything else ?

Pa chest girth ?

BB ball soup ?

James 1:26 ?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

So what your saying is, you recommend a Texas heart shot ? Or, you have senselessly maimed every other deer you shot... As do all of us who strive for a heart or double lung shot ?

Which big guy are you talking about ? U need to be more specific.

Yotes.... Been stacking them up pretty good and it's highly unlikely they have taken down a mature deer with this mild winter.

Anything else ?

Pa chest girth ?

BB ball soup ?

James 1:26 ?

If a deer is standing still, 50 yards away, facing directly away, there is no wind and I have a good rest, and I am armed with a 30/06 that holds a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards, then yes I recommend that shot.   If a deer is jumped and running away, then no I do not recommend it with any weapon.

There are two "happy times" each year for yotes, spring fawning time and post rut big buck time.  Have you ever seen how slow a rutted out buck is compared to a fat doe at that time ?  What one do you think is easier for the yotes to catch ?    It looks like those yotes you bagged were pretty well fed.  

Happy hunting  

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

If a deer is standing still, 50 yards away, facing directly away, there is no wind and I have a good rest, and I am armed with a 30/06 that holds a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards, then yes I recommend that shot.   If a deer is jumped and running away, then no I do not recommend it with any weapon.

There are two "happy times" each year for yotes, spring fawning time and post rut big buck time.  Have you ever seen how slow a rutted out buck is compared to a fat doe at that time ?  What one do you think is easier for the yotes to catch ?    It looks like those yotes you bagged were pretty well fed.  

Happy hunting  

Didn't you destroy a shit load of meat shooting that  deer in the ass  With a 30-06?  I am surprised  knowing you are a big time meat eater .You would risk losing all that meat with a shot like that ? 

I don't have the energy or desire but I would be willing to bet that the sponsors and co-sponsors of this bill to save these poor defenseless animal's lives were in the group that voted, jumping for joy and cheering a few short weeks ago over the ability in NY to kill a baby just days before it birth

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Didn't you destroy a shit load of meat shooting that  deer in the ass  With a 30-06?  I am surprised  knowing you are a big time meat eater .You would risk losing all that meat with a shot like that ? 

Very little meat was destroyed by that shot, just a neck roast.  The pointed bullet did not expand until it struck the spine at the front of the deer.  The heart was good, with just a shallow trench across the top where the 150 gr bullet passed across.  There was no entry wound.  The exit hole in the front of the hide, at the lower left side of the neck, measured 3/4" diameter.  On the skinned carcass, the exit hole in the neck was approximately 2" diameter.  Trimming the bloodied meat from around that hole resulted in the loss of the neck roast.   There was no other meat damage on the carcass, mainly because the bullet did not expand until it struck the spine on the way out.  Even the tenderloins were not bruised from the un-expanded bullet passing thru the opening from the back side.   

I fully expected to loose meat from the shot, but figured what I ended up with would be infinitely more than what an unfilled antlered tag would provide.  Had it not been near the tail end of the season, I might have passed.  I also expected a messy gutting job and I was pleasantly surprised when the guts came out very clean.  Even the butt-out II worked perfectly in this case, also serving as a bore gauge indicating near perfect shot placement.  A handful of others on this site, including Pygmy on a caribou, have attempted that shot but none quite pulled it off, and always ended up with a messy gutting job.   I cant take all the credit for that, as perfect body alignment of the buck, as well as perfect shot placement, were required for the clean gut job.  I give all the credit for the both parts to He who controls the fate of all living things.     

Edited by wolc123

14 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Oh, there was an entry wound, pretty sure the last look in that deers eyes for a split second was the look us older guys get when have to have "that exam".

You are probably right about that.  My father in law always say's it was too bad there was not a video from the front side when that bullet hit.   I would think that the eyes probably popped out a bit.  

Very little meat was destroyed by that shot, just a neck roast.  The pointed bullet did not expand until it struck the spine at the front of the deer.  The heart was good, with just a shallow trench across the top where the 150 gr bullet passed across.  There was no entry wound.  The exit hole in the front of the hide, at the lower left side of the neck, measured 3/4" diameter.  On the skinned carcass, the exit hole in the neck was approximately 2" diameter.  Trimming the bloodied meat from around that hole resulted in the loss of the neck roast.   There was no other meat damage on the carcass, mainly because the bullet did not expand until it struck the spine on the way out.  Even the tenderloins were not bruised from the un-expanded bullet passing thru the opening from the back side.   
I fully expected to loose meat from the shot, but figured what I ended up with would be infinitely more than what an unfilled antlered tag would provide.  Had it not been near the tail end of the season, I might have passed.  I also expected a messy gutting job and I was pleasantly surprised when the guts came out very clean.  Even the butt-out II worked perfectly in this case, also serving as a bore gauge indicating near perfect shot placement.  A handful of others on this site, including Pygmy on a caribou, have attempted that shot but none quite pulled it off, and always ended up with a messy gutting job.   I cant take all the credit for that, as perfect body alignment of the buck, as well as perfect shot placement, were required for the clean gut job.  I give all the credit for the both parts to He who controls the fate of all living things.     
Well, we are off topic so might as well run with it.... So I get this right, you went in the bung, missed all the guts, missed the tenderloins, hit the heart and exited out the spine? One of us needs a serious deer anatomy course. And again promoting a butt shot.... Your ethics are like your commitment to your religion......

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Well, we are off topic so might as well run with it.... So I get this right, you went in the bung, missed all the guts, missed the tenderloins, hit the heart and exited out the spine? One of us needs a serious deer anatomy course. And again promoting a butt shot.... Your ethics are like your commitment to your religion......

Thanks for bringing that shot onto this thread.  It is like the gift that keeps giving.  Thanks also for passing on all those little bucks that did not meet your harvest standards.   At least you got plenty of fish to eat.   

Thanks for bringing that shot onto this thread.  It is like the gift that keeps giving.  Thanks also for passing on all those little bucks that did not meet your harvest standards.   At least you got plenty of fish to eat.   
Your skill level is on par with your scale. It's pretty funny to me that you will thank me for passing on the fawns, as if they run across the county to you...... Don't be envious that there's more deer meat and fish in my freezer. Actually, I've had more yote meat in my freezer this year than your past few deer seasons combined. But I get it, when you want to provide for your family, it definitely makes the most sense to harvest the smallest deer in the woods. Wait .... Does it ?? I'm sure your family appreciates that balls are on the menu when those itty bitty steaks run out.

What was this thread about again ?

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

more yote meat in my freezer this year than your past few deer seasons combined. 

How does that yote taste?  The crows don't even touch those that I throw out in the fields here, so I cant imagine that it is very good.   You and many others seem to be in full attack mode right now. That is a natural reaction of going so long with limited sunlight and the resulting depleted vitamin D level.  It will get better soon as the days are getting longer.   I just got back from a week in sunny Florida and Mexico so not doing so bad myself right now.

Does it bother you at all to know that there is nothing that you can write, say or do to piss me off ?   That is the way it goes when you have real faith (and plenty of vitamin D). I forgive you for all the snipes you have been taking at me.   I don't suppose you will ever answer my question on whether or not you think that big buck you were chasing last season survived.  This is the third and last time I will ask.   Good luck with the rest of yote season.              

Edited by wolc123

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

How does that yote taste?  The crows don't even touch those that I throw out in the fields here, so I cant imagine that it is very good.   You and many others seem to be in full attack mode right now. That is a natural reaction of going so long with limited sunlight and the resulting depleted vitamin D level.  It will get better soon as the days are getting longer.   I just got back from a week in sunny Florida and Mexico so not doing so bad myself right now.

Does it bother you at all to know that there is nothing that you can write, say or do to piss me off ?   That is the way it goes when you have real faith (and plenty of vitamin D). I forgive you for all the snipes you have been taking at me.   I don't suppose you will ever answer my question on whether or not you think that big buck you were chasing last season survived.  This is the third and last time I will ask.   Good luck with the rest of yote season.              

Wolf just out of curiosity besides deer what other game animals have you eaten ?

11 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Wolf just out of curiosity besides deer what other game animals have you eaten ?

When I was younger, I ate a lot more grey squirrels, but I don't get time to chase them much any more.  I did eat one last fall that I took with my shotgun while turkey hunting.  I always cook them in the crockpot, and have often mixed them with cottontail rabbit.   The squirrel is always better tasting than the rabbit.   Last fall, the breasts and drumsticks of a young wild turkey hen were in the crockpot with the squirrel.  Those drumsticks were pretty good (wife and daughters had the white meat).  I never liked the taste of spring tom turkey breasts (or almost any other white meat for that matter).  

The only exception to that, and some of my favorite wild game, is ruffed grouse.  It has been a few years since I got to enjoy one of them.  They are especially tasty, roasted on a stick over a camp fire.   At this time, my family goes thru about 200 pounds of boneless whitetail venison per season.  I killed and ate a mule deer once, and I would not do that again (it tasted very bad).  Canada goose and mallard ducks are ok but not great in the crockpot. I have also eaten moose, elk, and black bear, but never killed any of those myself.   The moose is excellent, especially when it was canned.   I would rate it slightly better than Western NY whitetail.  Elk is about a tie.

I might try a small raccoon in the crockpot someday.  The problem there is that I wont touch them when they are full of bugs, and most that I take are long before the first good frost.  I try to take them out before they have the chance to destroy much of my corn.         

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

When I was younger, I ate a lot more grey squirrels, but I don't get time to chase them much any more.  I did eat one last fall that I took with my shotgun while turkey hunting.  I always cook them in the crockpot, and have often mixed them with cottontail rabbit.   The squirrel is always better tasting than the rabbit.   Last fall, the breasts and drumsticks of a young wild turkey hen were in the crockpot with the squirrel.  Those drumsticks were pretty good (wife and daughters had the white meat).  I never liked the taste of spring tom turkey breasts (or almost any other white meat for that matter).  

The only exception to that, and some of my favorite wild game, is ruffed grouse.  It has been a few years since I got to enjoy one of them.  They are especially tasty, roasted on a stick over a camp fire.   At this time, my family goes thru about 200 pounds of boneless whitetail venison per season.  I killed and ate a mule deer once, and I would not do that again (it tasted very bad).  Canada goose and mallard ducks are ok but not great in the crockpot. I have also eaten moose, elk, and black bear, but never killed any of those myself.   The moose is excellent, especially when it was canned.   I would rate it slightly better than Western NY whitetail.  Elk is about a tie.

I might try a small raccoon in the crockpot someday.  The problem there is that I wont touch them when they are full of bugs, and most that I take are long before the first good frost.  I try to take them out before they have the chance to destroy much of my corn.         

Really squirrel  over rabbit , I like rabbit better ,  other game I have had , Phesents deer turkey quail  but honestly I enjoy  hunting them a  little more  then eating them . My Father on the other hand is like you  hunting is all about the food to him . 

14 hours ago, Nytracker said:

This is nothing more than another attempt to break down sportsmans organizations  and yank out the base of our outdoor heritage  while crippling recruitment of our youngsters

Agreed.

I hope you know how upset I get at your comments. It keeps me up all night and I'm constantly in fear of your next little snip. You still haven't figured out why I even bother going back and forth, and it's actually quite sad that your so foolish. The yote tastes great. Alot better than baby buck balls, I assume. You keep asking about this big buck.... Again I'll ask you, which one ? ?

Still jealous cause I can provide better for my family ?

Plenty of deer in the freezer...

Pounds of fish still left.....

Dinner at the wolc house was a road kill coon with a side of pine cones. And your gonna waste time hooting at me. Maybe you should be out there providing. Or is that another thing in life that you profess to do but don't follow through with??

I hope you know how upset I get at your comments. It keeps me up all night and I'm constantly in fear of your next little snip. You still haven't figured out why I even bother going back and forth, and it's actually quite sad that your so foolish. The yote tastes great. Alot better than baby buck balls, I assume. You keep asking about this big buck.... Again I'll ask you, which one ? ?  
Still jealous cause I can provide better for my family ?

Plenty of deer in the freezer...

Pounds of fish still left.....

Dinner at the wolc house was a road kill coon with a side of pine cones. And your gonna waste time hooting at me. Maybe you should be out there providing. Or is that another thing in life that you profess to do but don't follow through with??

I hope you don’t mind...I may just copy and paste the first part of reply ( Edie’s you discuss bucks and food!)for my future use..we all have our crosses to carry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/30/2018 at 9:31 AM, TreeGuy said:

Lots of scores this year. Congrats to all ! I feel like this could be a forum record with all these bucks hitting the dirt. Nice work all !

I've been grinding it pretty hard and in the stand every chance I can morning evening whatever. I'm hoping to settle the score on a good one that I had a chance at earlier in gun. Don't want to give up all the details cause I think it will make for a fantastic story (that biz will author). This guy ruined my 18' because he's the first buck in many years that is my sole target. Hunting 1 specific buck can be fun but time consuming and difficult. Haven't hunted a different stand since my encounter. Hoping to put this guy on the ground in 18' but not scared to tag him in 19' if it has to be that way.

Either way, good luck to all those hammering it out for the hail Mary. I'll be on that boy till the last minute of legal for 18.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

You keep asking about this big buck.... Again I'll ask you, which one ? ?

It was a challenging hunt to locate the specific post that I was about 90% sure that  I remembered from the "live" thread, but I was eventually successful.   You didn't want to release details then so I can understand why you may be reluctant now.   The buck you mentioned in that 11/30 post is the one I am wondering about.  Do you think he made it ?  

I have only been targeting a "specific buck" for the last two seasons.  I ended up killing both of those bucks, but I was not fully "exclusive" and would have taken a lesser buck (providing it had at least three antler points on a side), had it showed up prior to my "target" buck.   In 2017, my "target" was the largest-bodied buck, from a group of six, that I had first observed in the late summer.   I did well that year, killing him with my crossbow on my first attempt.  That 3-1/2 year old had a marginal, busted up 5-point rack, and a 43" chest girth.    Last season, I killed a significantly larger racked 3-1/2 year old on my second attempt.  I blew my earlier chance at him with my crossbow (when he had 8 antler points), but scored on my second try (with my slug gun), after he had broken a couple of those antler points off.   His rut-worn body was slightly smaller than the one the year prior, with just a 42" chest girth, but he still weighed 182 pounds field dressed when I put him on a certified scale after hanging in the wind all day.   

If that buck you were after is still kicking this fall, here is a small tip that might help you take him down.  Ditch the coffee up in the stand and drink hot-cider instead.   The pleasant aroma of hot cider brought this big one in on a wire from downwind on two consecutive hunts last year.  The smell of coffee is offensive to mature deer.     

deertongueshotchallenge.jpg

"WOLC'D"      ^

Edited by wolc123

It was a challenging hunt to locate the specific post that I was about 90% sure that  I remembered from the "live" thread, but I was eventually successful.   You didn't want to release details then so I can understand why you may be reluctant now.   The buck you mentioned in that 11/30 post is the one I am wondering about.  Do you think he made it ?  

I have only been targeting a "specific buck" for the last two seasons.  I ended up killing both of those bucks, but I was not fully "exclusive" and would have taken a lesser buck (providing it had at least three antler points on a side), had it showed up prior to my "target" buck.   In 2017, my "target" was the largest-bodied buck, from a group of six, that I had first observed in the late summer.   I did well that year, killing him with my crossbow on my first attempt.  That 3-1/2 year old had a marginal, busted up 5-point rack, and a 43" chest girth.    Last season, I killed a significantly larger racked 3-1/2 year old on my second attempt.  I blew my earlier chance at him with my crossbow (when he had 8 antler points), but scored on my second try (with my slug gun), after he had broken a couple of those antler points off.   His rut-worn body was slightly smaller than the one the year prior, with just a 42" chest girth, but he still weighed 182 pounds field dressed when I put him on a certified scale after hanging in the wind all day.   

If that buck you were after is still kicking this fall, here is a small tip that might help you take him down.  Ditch the coffee up in the stand and drink hot-cider instead.   The pleasant aroma of hot cider brought this big one in on a wire from downwind on two consecutive hunts last year.  The smell of coffee is offensive to mature deer.     

deertongueshotchallenge.thumb.jpg.1d28848af909f81cdaa2258e74aab51f.jpg

"WOLC'D"      ^

I quit. Wolc the BB Slayer giving me advise on killing a mature buck....

Spend some more time digging for pics of me with that very same coffee mug.....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I quit. Wolc the BB Slayer giving me advise on killing a mature buck....

Spend some more time digging for pics of me with that very same coffee mug.....

No problem, In your 11/30 post you mentioned you would not mind using you 2019 tag on that buck and I hope that happens.   Your odds would be much improved if you would consider using that other "secret" weapon, which I have mentioned on many of my prior posts, but am reluctant to mention here for fear of being "banished" to the political section (see pm).    

Edited by wolc123