Do you keep old hunting magazines ?

Hunter007

I always have my eye out for old sporting magazines, some catalogs.(pre-1970s). I have many from the 1930s and forties, some from the 20s. I love the great cover art. There was a lot more great story writing / adventure, hunting trip writing then. A lot of the writers could turn a trip into the back forties into an expedition to end all hunting trips with the details. Whereas todays writers tend to emphasize the end, O'Connor, Keith, Whelen and the others wrapped you around the whole hunt. Todays writers very obviously  for short attention spans.

"We went to Montana with my new Xbolt Custom 6mm Wonderbread and killed a new class record Umbilicus. See my pictures and support my sponsors".

I have framed a lot of the magazines with particularly great covers. I had fun tracking down several magazines and a Herters catalog from my birth year, to get a feel for what the scene was like then. Particularly fascinating are the magazines from during and immedialty after WW2, as a reflection on how the war affected us.

• Like 2

I have some old magazines, all hunting related.  One such “collection” is Traditional Bowhunter from the first 15 years or so.  A few missing but not many. I keep thinking about selling them on eBay.....

i also have a Bowhunter Magazine from 1975 or 1976 that is very cool.  A bunch of other single issues of magazines that I kept for one reason or another. 

• Like 1

I use to hang on to my old hunting magazines .They took up too much space and I never went back to any of them . Got rid of them . Now I pass my magazines along to one of my sons . I get several magazines because I get the Old Fart's price on the subscriptions . 

• Like 2

So I was looking through some wildlife art and came across the photo below which looked very familiar to me but I could not quite place it. After jogging my memory (easier to remember long ago than recently LOL) I remembered if was from a story called "Saga Of The Red One" about Wolves. I did an online search and it was published in 1955 in Sports Afield and written by Russell Anabelle and that is where I read it as my Dad had a subscription to the magazine. I can remember asking my Dad questions pertaining to that series and helping me with the words. The one thing that stuck in my mind was the main character "LOBO SMITH" a wolf hunter who poked some sort of catching pole down into a Wolf den and pulled out all the cubs and killed them, I was madder than a hornet that he did that.

So for old times sake I went over to ebay and started buying old 1955 Sports Afields found four so far and got the first one today. Ahhh Nostalgia can be great sometimes.

Al

2019-02-16_164926.png

• Like 2

Nope . Used to save a bunch of knife magazines, some gun ones , and  about 25 years of Playboys .After all the work cleaning out my parents house, after they  passed, we made the decision not to burden our kids with that task .

So junks been going out ,slowly .

Dinsdale , same here, had a knife article published , and was interviewed in Blade Magazine, saved those .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

Speaking of old magazines I was a subscriber to ODL for many years. Started when I was a kid probably 15 years old. This would make it 1978. Back then they always did these give-aways to subscribers. I have B&W drawing of bears, deer, dogs and turkey. Numerous patches I have on a hunting vest I wore back in the 70's. Drink coasters with wildlife scenes on them. Those are a few that come to mind but there are more. Best thing is that they are all still in my possession at the cabin! 

• Like 1

Old magazines can be worth some dough, especially if they were obtained at subscription prices or a box full bought at a garage sale for a song. There is money to be made if one wants to take the time to mess with them. There are vendors on Ebay that have businesses just selling vintage magazines and old catalogs. Before computers and the internet I bought tons of books and subscribed to many magazines to get info I wanted and at subscription prices most magazines were less than a dollar each. Most on ebay go for ten to twenty dollars on average plus shipping. 

Al

• Like 1

1 minute ago, airedale said:

Old magazines can be worth some dough, especially if they were obtained at subscription prices or a box full bought at a garage sale for a song. There is money to be made if one wants to take the time to mess with them. There are vendors on Ebay that have businesses just selling vintage magazines and old catalogs. Before computers and the internet I bought tons of books and subscribed to many magazines to get info I wanted and at subscription prices most magazines were less than a dollar each. Most on ebay go for ten to twenty dollars on average plus shipping. 

Al

Maybe some old copies of LIFE or TIME magazines might bring you a few bucks, but I highly doubt hunting magazines would bring you much.  You'd waste more time and energy trying to sell them than the money you'd get for them.  Most especially in this computer age.  No one cares to be flipping thru old dusty magazines anymore.  I used to save the hunting magazines also, but they have ALL been disposed of long ago now.  Not worth the space they took up.

3 minutes ago, airedale said:

Al

I have a stack of old shooting sportsman magazines, I didn't realize people would buy them. I think the only way they would sell is if you start the bidding at $00.99

13 minutes ago, steve863 said:

No one cares to be flipping thru old dusty magazines anymore. 

You would be surprised my friend, I for one love flipping through and reading old stuff. 

My wife is a crafter and goes to a couple of shows every year to sell some of her creations. For the heck of it I purchased a small magazine rack and gave her a dozen old hunting and car magazines to set up in her booth. Every show she sells 3 or 4. 

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, airedale said:

You would be surprised my friend, I for one love flipping through and reading old stuff. 

My wife is a crafter and goes to a couple of shows every year to sell some of her creations. For the heck of it I purchased a small magazine rack and gave her a dozen old hunting and car magazines to set up in her booth. Every show she sells 3 or 4. 

Al

https://books.google.com/books/serial/ISSN:87558599

Have a look at this link.  You can read all Field & Stream Magazines from 1968-2008 for FREE right from your computer screen.  I'm sure one could find back issues of other magazines also on the internet if they went searching.

25 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Maybe some old copies of LIFE or TIME magazines might bring you a few bucks, but I highly doubt hunting magazines would bring you much.  You'd waste more time and energy trying to sell them than the money you'd get for them.  Most especially in this computer age.  No one cares to be flipping thru old dusty magazines anymore.  I used to save the hunting magazines also, but they have ALL been disposed of long ago now.  Not worth the space they took up.

I bought this house 5 years ago. Original owner passed in 1987 she was a school teacher. It was left to her niece who used it as a summer home. When she died it was put up as an estate sale. I bought it with some original property left in basement and garage. One of the things I found were a stack of National Geographic magazines. hat stack contained an issue from 1911. It had a 64 inch B&W pullout of a picture taken of the Rockies. Value $350 bucks. There were a bunch more from that era I still have never looked into the value!

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

https://books.google.com/books/serial/ISSN:87558599

Have a look at this link.  You can read all Field & Stream Magazines from 1968-2008 for FREE right from your computer screen.  I'm sure one could find back issues of other magazines also on the internet if they went searching.

You never know collectible stuff is like the stock market they go up they go down. 

What has little value today may be worth lots tomorrow .

3 minutes ago, First-light said:

I bought this house 5 years ago. Original owner passed in 1987 she was a school teacher. It was left to her niece who used it as a summer home. When she died it was put up as an estate sale. I bought it with some original property left in basement and garage. One of the things I found were a stack of National Geographic magazines. hat stack contained an issue from 1911. It had a 64 inch B&W pullout of a picture taken of the Rockies. Value $350 bucks. There were a bunch more from that era I still have never looked into the value!

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You never know collectible stuff is like the stock market they go up they go down. 

What has little value today may be worth lots tomorrow .

I don't know if I want thousands of dollars worth of headaches storing old junk and having it take up precious space for years on end that only "might" one day have some value.  Was it worth the $350 in First-lights example?   I may be dead by then so it won't really matter.  LOL  The only sure way to make some money in my opinion is to work for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

I don't know if I want thousands of dollars worth of headaches storing old junk and having it take up precious space for years on end that only "might" one day have some value.  Was it worth the $350 in First-lights example?   I may be dead by then so it won't really matter.  LOL  The only sure way to make some money in my opinion is to work for it.

To Some it's just a hobby ,They got guys who do just that collect mountains of old stuff  hoping it  will go up in price overtime. 

I suppose if you have the space for it it could be profitable basically a junk yard for collectibles . I mean the stuff at the antique stores a lot comes from the guys that collect mountains of stuff .Then the antique expert  decides if it's worth to sell in his retail store .   It works know different then the stock market more or less .

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, airedale said:

So I was looking through some wildlife art and came across the photo below of the wolf after the magpie which looked very familiar to me but I could not quite place it. After jogging my memory (easier to remember long ago than recently LOL) I remembered if was from a story called "Saga Of The Red One" about Wolves. I did an online search and it was published in 1955 in Sports Afield and written by Russell Anabelle and that is where I read it as my Dad had a subscription to the magazine. I can remember asking my Dad questions pertaining to that series and helping me with the words. The one thing that stuck in my mind was the main character "LOBO SMITH" a wolf hunter who poked some sort of catching pole down into a Wolf den and pulled out all the cubs and killed them, I was madder than a hornet that he did that.

So for old times sake I went over to ebay and started buying old 1955 Sports Afields found four so far and got the first one today. Ahhh Nostalgia can be great sometimes.

Al

So I have acquired many of the old 1955 Sports Afield magazines and started reading "Saga Of The Red One" and came across the episode and illustration described above of that no good Lobo Smith sticking that pole down into the wolf den and pulling out all the cubs and killing them. Funny how a person remembers things like that, I was around six and a half years old when I read that story,  it was over 60 years ago. Boy these old outdoor magazines had some really good reading, some good memories and I am enjoying the hell of them.:yes:

Al

2019-03-21_193012.png

2019-02-16_164926.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1