Anyone familiar with the Kimber Hunter 6.5mm Creedmoor rifle?

goosifer

17 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I will have to check that scope out, that sounds perfect. Does Vortex have a calculator like Nikon where you input your ammo, zero, et al and it give you ballistics at each hashmark and magnification? (How/where did you run the eld x numbers?

My scope is the moa version.  I calculated the numbers based on the published subtensions.  Not really that difficult to do.  I am not sure if Vortex has a calculator. 

2 minutes ago, TACC said:

It'll drop at 300 yards, 1.5 mils or 5.13 moa, I was shooting 140 grain hornady hunter precision this past weekend and took it out to 980 yards on 18 x 18 inch steel. It was very fun shooting and it bucks the wind great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mind if I ask what kind of place you were shooting at for such distances? I'm trying to figure out where to go to shoot at 200+ yards. I'm thinking to join a gun club with an outdoor range of sufficient distance.

4 minutes ago, TACC said:

It'll drop at 300 yards, 1.5 mils or 5.13 moa, I was shooting 140 grain hornady hunter precision this past weekend and took it out to 980 yards on 18 x 18 inch steel. It was very fun shooting and it bucks the wind great.

And ł was excited about a 200 yard range at my place.

980 that's awesome!

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

My scope is the moa version.  I calculated the numbers based on the published subtensions.  Not really that difficult to do.  I am not sure if Vortex has a calculator. 

Thanks. My limited knowledge of ballistics and scopes is shining through. :)

Edited by goosifer
  • Like 1

In New York, no idea, right now I'm in SOUTH Florida, and I have 2 - 600 yard ranges, 1- 1000 yard range and 1- 500 yard range and the one I went to 980 at goes out 1.5 miles. All within 3 hours of me. And they have open shoots and competition on a monthly basis, and these guys take their shooting very seriously. They are both competitors and hunters.

Mind if I ask what kind of place you were shooting at for such distances? I'm trying to figure out where to go to shoot at 200+ yards. I'm thinking to join a gun club with an outdoor range of sufficient distance.

1 minute ago, TACC said:

In New York, no idea, right now I'm in SOUTH Florida, and I have 2 - 600 yard ranges, 1- 1000 yard range and 1- 500 yard range and the one I went to 980 at goes out 1.5 miles. All within 3 hours of me. And they have open shoots and competition on a monthly basis, and these guys take their shooting very seriously. They are both competitors and hunters.

Enjoy your time in Florida. They have some nice gun ranges down there.

Defender scope caps have a printed card that fit into the flip up cap that can be tuned to your individual load. These caps fit snugly on all vortex scopes.

Thanks. My limited knowledge of ballistics and scopes is shining through.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Pygmy saying kiss, but not actually meaning it.

One of my fav acronyms btw.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I apologize if I offended anyone..Sure did not mean it to be personal....I will plagiarize  Lawdwaz  and  say that KISS  means  Keep It Simple, Slim....

33 minutes ago, goosifer said:

So would you suggest a scope with hashmarks like a BDC?

No........just get a decent scope (Leupold VX3 2.5x8) and learn to shoot.  Anything out to 300 will be easy IF IF IF IF IF IF IF you can find a rest.  A whitetail deer at 300 is a poke and I'd bet there are very few here that have ever killed one at that distance in NYS, I know I haven't. Oh I'm sure a few will chime in and tell you they have but don't get sucked into the LR game to hunt deer.  Scope your rifle with quality glass in quality mounts, shoot that Hornady ammo and have fun.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

The Niagara County Sportsmans club has multiple ranges, pistol and rifle.

300 yard max goose, not far from your area.

Yes. Thanks. I drive past it on the way to Porter. Was holding off trying to join until I got my pistol permit, but now I have a reason to join it sooner. Hope the entrance exam isn't too tough . . . .

6 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Yes. Thanks. I drive past it on the way to Porter. Was holding off trying to join until I got my pistol permit, but now I have a reason to join it sooner. Hope the entrance exam isn't too tough . . . .

Background check and pledge to volunteer 10 hours per year for the first two years' if ł recall correctly.

They also have a 24 hour indoor pistol range, you get a "contactless" RFID card to unlock the door. It's nice to have access to one of those if you're the unlucky guy who draws a "Target Only" permit if you know what ł mean.

Annual Dues are reasonable for what they offer.

Edited by XGX7PM
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Great place for the $70-$80 a year.........

BhsmKp9.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Yes, I was assuming that Goosey would be hunting deer.... In fact he stated that in his original post.

I guess I always  think of rifles as multiple species capable and not limited to just one in a certain situation or particular distances. 

• Like 1

70-80 $ per year is cheap

The outdoor private ranges are running much more.

As a veteran the cheapest rate I can get is $40 per month.

That includes unlimited 25-100 yard range usage, and reservation required for longer rifle ranges.

Great place for the $70-$80 a year.........
BhsmKp9.jpg&key=4d7127dded173c32b7951eaecb491f5f99da96041ae5357d893d04754a9f8679

46 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

My Browning 6.5cm shoots everything pretty well. Currently shooting 95gr vmax out of it, since I probably wont be shooting it over a few hundred yards..  But it shot 143gr ELD-M very well. 

It is interesting all the different ammo options for this caliber, and how they are used for different types of game, et al.

Edited by goosifer
  • Like 1

Reading this thread makes me sad. My uncle just picked up a Ruger in 6.5 Creedmore with a Vortext BDC reticle 4x12 scope. It's never going to be shot anywhere near it's potential and he will probably complain about the scope because it's "too" powerful. 

56 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The goose is loose! New land, tractor, guns, trip to Florida! Quickly becoming one of my top 10 favorite WNY hunters!

Now all you need is a tracking dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new land didn't happen, but I have the old land to work with. I suppose I could use a tracking dog . . . .

I have to deliver in the field, that's what makes a hunter. 

• Like 1