Anyone familiar with the Kimber Hunter 6.5mm Creedmoor rifle?

goosifer

Yep hornady eld x 143g are touted as being very accurate.  

My ar in 6.5 loves loves loves the eldx... if you want to step up from the standard hornady black hills makes a round using the eldx bulket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Get a vortex viper pst, you can’t ask for a better scope for than gun. You get a lot for the money with that scope... if your into long range at all that is

I need to figure out the difference between the vortex Viper vhs and the vortex viper pst. I am used to BDC style scopes

On 3/1/2019 at 9:07 PM, moog5050 said:

If you plan to reach out there even if only for fun occasionally, the vortex Viper vhs series has a BDC reticle that is very easy to calculate aim points based on subtensiom.   In fact, I ran the eld x numbers on it and each point below the crosshairs was just about 100yds farther.  Very easy to remember.   

Moog, I can't find the vhs flavor Viper scope. I found PST, HST and HS. The HS has a Dead-Hold BDC (MOA). That one has the subtension increments you sent me. Is that the one you suggest for me? I think it's a good fit. The other one's have fancier reticles, but I'm no sniper.

7 hours ago, goosifer said:

Moog, I can't find the vhs flavor Viper scope. I found PST, HST and HS. The HS has a Dead-Hold BDC (MOA). That one has the subtension increments you sent me. Is that the one you suggest for me? I think it's a good fit. The other one's have fancier reticles, but I'm no sniper.

Yes.  Sorry.   HS not VHS.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I hear VHS is what Pygmy still use to watch adult films

Yeah, I watched " Sally's Strange Vacation"  last night for the 417th time.....<<grin>>……..

I officially own the Kimber Hunter. Did the FFL transfer at Gander Outdoors, as that was most convenient location for the seller. Was quoted $30 fee over the phone, but was charged only $10. I didn't argue. They had the scope I wanted on sale for $474.99 with the Good Sam card, the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 Dead-Hold BDC. They only had the display one, and I ran out of time as I was late for an appointment, so I didn't buy it. I looked to buy it online, but they only had the lower magnification model. So I started poking around the internet and found a too good to be true deal on the discontinued Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16X44 Dead-Hold BDC for $419.99 shipped, no tax, from scheels.com. Not sure if there is any real additional benefit with the LR model for me, but it was cheaper than the plain HS, so what the heck. If anyone is interested, the link is here

I still need to figure out what size (height) rings I should get, and what kind of rail mount to attach the rings to the rifle. I will call Vortex and or Kimber on those issues. If anyone has any input on rings or rail, fire away.

• Like 1

I officially own the Kimber Hunter. Did the FFL transfer at Gander Outdoors, as that was most convenient location for the seller. Was quoted $30 fee over the phone, but was charged only $10. I didn't argue. They had the scope I wanted on sale for $474.99 with the Good Sam card, the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 Dead-Hold BDC. They only had the display one, and I ran out of time as I was late for an appointment, so I didn't buy it. I looked to buy it online, but they only had the lower magnification model. So I started poking around the internet and found a too good to be true deal on the discontinued Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16X44 Dead-Hold BDC for $419.99 shipped, no tax, from scheels.com. Not sure if there is any real additional benefit with the LR model for me, but it was cheaper than the plain HS, so what the heck. If anyone is interested, the link is here
I still need to figure out what size (height) rings I should get, and what kind of rail mount to attach the rings to the rifle. I will call Vortex and or Kimber on those issues. If anyone has any input on rings or rail, fire away.

Get the lowest rings you are comfortable with

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Get the lowest rings you are comfortable with

Well, factoring in for the double chin, probably should go with the mediums.

Edited by goosifer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Finally got the scope mounted. I still need to sight it in. Not sure where or when I will be able to hunt with this rifle, but I'll be ready when the opportunity arises.

y4mbKk_SfZdKY0torApjnPjBXLPKmWCzgbsuvAkRtk9BdO0aAOk5z6mx943ZpPtV72L6h2yNcU9eJUmqJt1XKKS6C7U4d76DKGNzgYFQSBrJjL_q7yiIVIues-35o_Fd33NLQeShmUR5p67ajdgHCRph5f8UCocxoCYXrAshU0mVv1lvkLb_d7Vlt10FVa4B69s4klkqeWijgodQgSyMzZBNw?width=1024%26height=768%26cropmode=none&key=51b0e0e7698d4c8a4e99766efce2c5e2c9d70279d01ec12937d898c34eb28de9

I hate to brag but@sodfather and I are somewhat expert at sighting in rifles. Three trips to the range and 55-70 bullets and we will have you on paper, I guarantee it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hate to brag but@sodfather and I are somewhat expert at sighting in rifles. Three trips to the range and 55-70 bullets and we will have you on paper, I guarantee it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would be delighted to go to the range with you and @sodfather, whenever your schedules would allow.

11 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Anytime Goose just a couple of qualifications needed. You must know your right from left and if you don’t have enough ammo just grab whatever is closest to ya 

Thanks, Jay. Hopefully the weather will dry out and get above 60 at some point . . . .

On 3/1/2019 at 10:02 PM, Lawdwaz said:

No........just get a decent scope (Leupold VX3 2.5x8) and learn to shoot.  Anything out to 300 will be easy IF IF IF IF IF IF IF you can find a rest.  A whitetail deer at 300 is a poke and I'd bet there are very few here that have ever killed one at that distance in NYS, I know I haven't. Oh I'm sure a few will chime in and tell you they have but don't get sucked into the LR game to hunt deer.  Scope your rifle with quality glass in quality mounts, shoot that Hornady ammo and have fun.

haha.... i'll put myself out there. i've taken multiple deer at around 300 yards. some just under and some just over. one was a lot further. more often than not i make up a 100 yards that puts me close to my 200 yard zero. even then you won't see me without shooting sticks. most of the time i sit right down with them too.  drop is nothing hard. wind people don't pay any attention to. if the creedmoor is close to a 300 win mag it'll still drift a handful of inches in your everyday 10+mph wind at 300 yards. if wind and your shot being at either edge of vitals (say tight to behind the shoulder) add up then you can end up into brisket or the opposite would put you into guts just past the diaphragm. 300 yards is definitely poke if you're not thinking about everything.  i know someone who connected at something around 400 yards with a BDC reticle but didn't do anything for wind. when i say connected i mean he shot it in the A$$.

35 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

haha.... i'll put myself out there. i've taken multiple deer at around 300 yards. some just under and some just over. one was a lot further. more often than not i make up a 100 yards that puts me close to my 200 yard zero. even then you won't see me without shooting sticks. most of the time i sit right down with them too.  drop is nothing hard. wind people don't pay any attention to. if the creedmoor is close to a 300 win mag it'll still drift a handful of inches in your everyday 10+mph wind at 300 yards. if wind and your shot being at either edge of vitals (say tight to behind the shoulder) add up then you can end up into brisket or the opposite would put you into guts just past the diaphragm. 300 yards is definitely poke if you're not thinking about everything.  i know someone who connected at something around 400 yards with a BDC reticle but didn't do anything for wind. when i say connected i mean he shot it in the A$$.

A guy that hunts my neighbors property said he shot a buck at 700-800yds this past year.  Even offered to teach me to shoot such distances with ease.  lol  I told him I am no sniper and don't plan to be.  He did kill a buck but I am guessing his "rangefinder" was a bit off.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 11:34 AM, moog5050 said:

A guy that hunts my neighbors property said he shot a buck at 700-800yds this past year.  Even offered to teach me to shoot such distances with ease.  lol  I told him I am no sniper and don't plan to be.  He did kill a buck but I am guessing his "rangefinder" was a bit off.

funniest story related to long shots i've got for long shots out your way is hunting public land. we came upon a NG pipeline. hunter in full orange was standing there with no sling or sticks or rest of any kind. he pointed out a spot in the distance where deer were crossing. his buddy was doing a drive.  it was waaayyyy too far for a shotgun slug. i wouldn't take it with a rifle under those conditions. he had no idea of the distance and i didn't have the heart to tell him "getting the crosshairs on them as the run by" will basically put the slug in dirt long before it reaches the deer.