Corned Venison

I tried this for the first time this week and cooked it last night. Wow, it turned out great! Hands down, one of the best roasts I ever made. Brined a shoulder roast in the fridge for six days and boiled it last night. No plate pics as we dug into it too quickly, was fall-apart tender. Didn’t follow any one particular recipe for the brine, rather I read a few different ones and freestyled it. Very easy prep for such a good dish!

Going to try the next one in the smoker for pastrami.

A017C677-4126-4711-9BC7-946BC1FEBD01.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 13

Still remember my dad making venison corned beef in a huge crock and letting it brine in our basement during the winter months. It was delicious and no one got sick. Is the refrig method used today mainly for safe food handling concerns?

5 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Is the refrig method used today mainly for safe food handling concerns?

I think so. I’m careful with food prep in general as I seem to get food illnesses easily at times. Seems different to leave a big chunk of meat sitting around for a week, so besides the recipes saying brine it in the refrig, I felt the need to keep it cold. 

Had venison Reuben sandwiches from the leftovers last night. Was just as good on the second day.

I’ve still got 2 or 3 roasts in the freezer, might get another one going next week for a St. Patty’s day dinner!

20 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

That looks awesome!  I think I want to try this myself.

It really is super easy. Mixing and boiling the brine mix took all of a half hour. Then when it cooled, just soak the roast in it for 5-7 days, and then boil for 3-4 hrs (I went for 4). Very little work for such good results. The only other work was to trim off any outside silverskin from the thawed roast which took all of a couple of minutes. It was recommended on some recipes that I flip the roast every day. I forgot to do that until Tuesday evening.

I started soaking it the previous Sunday morning and cooked it the following Saturday evening.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 7:18 AM, Steuben Jerry said:

I tried this for the first time this week and cooked it last night. Wow, it turned out great! Hands down, one of the best roasts I ever made. Brined a shoulder roast in the fridge for six days and boiled it last night. No plate pics as we dug into it too quickly, was fall-apart tender. Didn’t follow any one particular recipe for the brine, rather I read a few different ones and freestyled it. Very easy prep for such a good dish!

Going to try the next one in the smoker for pastrami.

A017C677-4126-4711-9BC7-946BC1FEBD01.jpeg

i made pastrami a little while back from some recipe help from some guys on this site - came out great !  IMG_20181229_125511762.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i made pastrami a little while back from some recipe help from some guys on this site - came out great !  IMG_20181229_125511762.jpg

I remember that post - at the time I didn't know that corned beef (venison) made pastrami. Been wanting to try that since I read your post.

• Like 1