should I cut my timber

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

A clear cut is not devastation. It's a good thing most New York woods are hy graded.. clear cut allows diversity to return. It may not look nice to you but to game its is a housing and food bonanza 

I don't disagree. In fact, I'm going to knock down a few acres this year. But I'm fighting bramble and striped maple which was a result of taking everything of value. I guess it depends on what you want.

37 minutes ago, left field said:

I don't disagree. In fact, I'm going to knock down a few acres this year. But I'm fighting bramble and striped maple which was a result of taking everything of value. I guess it depends on what you want.

Bramble is good ,as long as it's not multiflora rose.  striped maple isnt. Hack and squirt.

i doubt anyone buys your place and considers the timber, most are likely to look at your bathroom and kitchen. If it's a hunter, they'll generally understand the benefits of selective logging. Honestly, selective logging will be you leaving the land better than it is.

My dad has done ours twice now and we're now entering the 3rd spring since the last cut and the growth is amazing and we're seeing more animals and even different species like fisher that we haven't seen in quite some time.

key is "selective"

Steuben Jerry: no real single triggering event. Kids have grown up and 4 out of 6 live out of state (don't see them ever moving back either). Already have a sister, a son, and grown grandchild living in Florida. High property taxes. Feeling that I am not represented in either state or local governments. Over regulation. My neighborhood has drastically changed. Swat teams raiding neighboring houses for drug busts- Crime- heroin being sold within 500 yards of my house. I could go on and on.....

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Steuben Jerry: no real single triggering event. Kids have grown up and 4 out of 6 live out of state (don't see them ever moving back either). Already have a sister, a son, and grown grandchild living in Florida. High property taxes. Feeling that I am not represented in either state or local governments. Over regulation. My neighborhood has drastically changed. Swat teams raiding neighboring houses for drug busts- Crime- heroin being sold within 500 yards of my house. I could go on and on.....

I understand and except for the neighborhood and crime part, I'm experiencing the same things. I've come to just lump all of that together as general NY BS. Darn shame too. I know it's an old saying, but I really do love NY. Except for the NYBS part. With retirement a few years away, costs are the biggest driver for me.

• Like 2

I would never have the property logged again, the last company that did it hired some fellow that just cut the tree top off of what they could sell ,left  the tops where they fell and totaly blocked off every trail I had before they came,I cannot even ride my atv or sled  to get around the property any more, it would cost me more to have the mess cleaned up then what I got for the lumber.  

1 hour ago, left field said:

Please come and help yourself to all the bramble you desire!

Umm ... explain the squirt part.

Take a machete and hack your striped maple and then in the cut you simple squirt a tree brush killer this let's you cover acres quickly and no. Regrowth to the tree from stump. The method is called hack and squirt.  I have acres of brambles. Deer and bear love em only.live 3 to 5 years and are shaded out.

https://youtu.be/TglNG-yjabU

Edited by G-Man

28 minutes ago, thphtm said:

I would never have the property logged again, the last company that did it hired some fellow that just cut the tree top off of what they could sell ,left  the tops where they fell and totaly blocked off every trail I had before they came,I cannot even ride my atv or sled  to get around the property any more, it would cost me more to have the mess cleaned up then what I got for the lumber.  

That is a great method for tree regrowth removing the tops is highly destructive and discouraged, of you wanted trails left open it should of been worded in contract. 

• Like 1

As land owners I'm surprised many of you know little of your woods and methods used to maintain and propagate them.thru timber harvest and. Manangement,,  Before you log , or even if you just bought what is considered free ed a disaster someone else logged I seriously urge you look into joining the nys forest owners association in your area.

Vast knowledge is given at the meetings as well as how to apply and implement programs at state, county and federal level on your land.. at worst use a forester . Many of you belong to nwtf, or a qdma branch these groups have on staff foresters who can assess and implement programs on your property for free!! As part of your membership( a great perk from joining) our forests will only improve thru education of their owners.. 

Edited by G-Man

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Take a machete and hack your striped maple and then in the cut you simple squirt a tree brush killer this let's you cover acres quickly and no. Regrowth to the tree from stump. The method is called hack and squirt.  I have acres of brambles. Deer and bear love em only.live 3 to 5 years and are shaded out.

Oh, I thought it was what you do to a sea urchin sting.

Yes, they do love them. But they also choke out a forest floor and don't allow anything else to grow. I;ve been trying to keep them controlled.

Good idea on the free woodlot knowledge available. I started with mywoodlot.com and also reached out to the QDMA and the CFA. All offered good advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a letter from the tax accessor today informing us that our property value has increased another $20K this year. This is after a $28K jump 2 years ago. This is for a modest 1100 sq. ft home that hasn't seen any improvements since 2014. There is no end to this madness...…...

7 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

I received a letter from the tax accessor today informing us that our property value has increased another $20K this year. This is after a $28K jump 2 years ago. This is for a modest 1100 sq. ft home that hasn't seen any improvements since 2014. There is no end to this madness...…...

I feel your pain. Built our house in 2009. Haven’t done a thing to it since then and my taxes have tripled. Must be all the tree stands. 

• 1 month later...

Update: the "one year" plan when off the rails when my wife fell in love with a property in Florida. That house closing was in late April.....

I had a forester walk the NY property and I received lots of free advice. Timber will not be cut at this time. Timber company is not interested in buying the forest due to our ridiculous taxes.

A fellow hunter found out by word of mouth that the property was available. He has hunted an adjoining parcel for the last 20+ years. We are in negotiations and things look promising at this point. As an unexpected kicker he offered to grant me lifetime hunting rights!

• Like 3