Climbing harness for hunting?

mlammerhirt

I used to when I was using tree/telephone spikes to get up trees but haven't in years - too dangerous using those spikes at my age. I used to use a window washer's belt used in hi-rise window washing operations. You would wrap belt around your waist and the rope (about an inch thick) around the tree and leave about a foot gap between you and the tree. If you slipped you'd only have about a foot drop.

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

Anyone use a climbing harness for hunting out of a treestand?

Looking for the positives and negatives of using one.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

If you fall out of the tree stand and the harness arrests your fall, you could still be left dangling, with all the pressure around your thighs. I forgot the medical term, but being in that position, with the legs dangling, is not good for blood flow. That's why the hunter safety harnesses have an attached loop strap that you pull out after you've fallen and put one or both of your feet into, so you can "stand" while dangling, if that makes any sense.

• Like 2

Anyone use a climbing harness for hunting out of a treestand?
Looking for the positives and negatives of using one.f817e4af99066c315e2039924ed629bd.jpg&key=6d39cfc84435d26d54aace20256a63d09a0c8641723cf95dfd4ea1b28a222725

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

The guys on the hunting collective use saddles to hunt out of trees. I think this is what they use: https://aerohunter.us/. Looks like a similar setup.

As I am afraid to step on a step stool I can't say I have any hands-on experience but those dudes rave about them.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, goosifer said:

If you fall out of the tree stand and the harness arrests your fall, you could still be left dangling, with all the pressure around your thighs. I forgot the medical term, but being in that position, with the legs dangling, is not good for blood flow. That's why the hunter safety harnesses have an attached loop strap that you pull out after you've fallen and put one or both of your feet into, so you can "stand" while dangling, if that makes any sense.

suspension trauma and it's no joke. If it helps anyone in their decision, OSHA requires you have a plan "after you fall" because you're basically still dead if you're left dangling. 

• Like 3

There are quite a few on hunting beast that use rock climbing harnesses.  Good place to ask.  Most seem to prefer them.  I am not sure why they would be any less safe for hunting than rock climbing since the risk of falling is the same if not worse in rock climbing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

There are quite a few on hunting beast that use rock climbing harnesses.  Good place to ask.  Most seem to prefer them.  I am not sure why they would be any less safe for hunting than rock climbing since the risk of falling is the same if not worse in rock climbing.

no expert, but in climbing you're going to have some tension and you're also leaning back or active in what you're doing where treestand hunting is a little  more passive. At the end of the day, if it's a 5 point, it'll meet the recommended safety standards. 

The climbing harnesses I used to wear were designed to attach in front, and to fit closely. When in a tree hunting, the safety harness attaches to the back. Not only that, a climbing harness that would fit over your heavy hunting clothes is not going to fit tight enough to be secure, and is going to bunch you up something fierce. I don't think climbing harnesses, despite being designed for more intense use and safety with probable falls, are right for tree stand harnesses. 

There are quality safety harnesses now designed like a vest that I think are a good compromise. 

• Like 1

Years agoI thought about using mine and ascenders to do a static ascent, then repel down, instead of using a ladder. For sure no one else would be using my stand. lol 

My worry using it as a safety harness would be ending up hanging upside down. That and a spinning twisting jerk should I fall. 

• Like 1