snipers shooting deer in East Amherst

goosifer

I wonder what they do with the meat.  Hopefully, it goes to a food kitchen or something.  I am glad they are doing something to control the deer population in that town because I need to drive thru it twice each weekday.        

"Specially trained police snipers go into the woods in an effort to cull deer from January to March."

Sniper, sniper, sniper sniper, everyone's a sniper now.  :rolleyes:

Specially trained?  To shoot deer?  Perhaps they're also licensed by the government of the united nations to kill gophers. 

"According to the police department, the operation is only conducted when school is not in session."

Wouldn't it be safer when the kids are... I dunno, IN school? Rather than possibly wandering around in the woods? 

• Like 3

When it was done in Irondequoit, the meat was dumped. 

Under USDA rules only head shot animals could be used for consumption.

With today’s venison donation programs , things may have changed , idk .

I believe this happens more then we know by local governments all over   with out the public knowing .  I can think of at least 2 parks  that  were full of deer and all at once they disappeared. After complaints from homeowners in the  area. 

There is no hunting in those  places  so where did they all go ?   And it  is very suspicious they all magically disappeared right after a lot of homeowners complained about them being there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

OT pay for some guy to sit and shoot deer on the cities dime . 

It isn't overtime, regular pay.  Patrolman pulled off the streets doing a job that has/had to be done.  25 years easy it's been going on.  Lots of meals provided to the homeless and countless deer/car collisions avoided.  Human lives saved? Probably..........

• Like 7

It isn't overtime, regular pay.  Patrolman pulled off the streets doing a job that has/had to be done.  25 years easy it's been going on.  Lots of meals provided to the homeless and countless deer/car collisions avoided.  Human lives saved? Probably..........
Guessing they gotta fill the spot of the guy taken off the road patrol ...so probably extra pay somewhere along the way.
Can't believe the police union would let them drop number on patrol in order to use someone for deer duty.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

The city owns staffing, not the union  . No way they’re going to pay OT .

28 years union FF , union steward.

union doesn’t care if your on patrol or shooting deer, as long as you’re getting paid 

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

I thought suppressors were illegal in NYS, but I guess it is ok for these snipers.

When they are shooting varmint poontang

The USDA has been doing it here on Long Island for years. Mostly in State Parks and Brookhaven National Laboratory. The use corn, night vision scopes, and silencers. They can pretty much wipe out an entire location in no time. 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If people were given all of the costs involved to do this deer genocide, they might begin to understand these killings are done to control deer numbers AND hunters.  These towns do not trust the average hunter when it comes to doing this job.  They are willing to spend a million dollars to wipe out a deer population in a given area to avoid allowing responsible hunting and creating a renewable hunting resource.

Costs are paid for training, equipment (bait, rifles, ammo, suppressors, tree stands, night vision, labor on all of this stuff,etc.)  overtime, harvesting the dead deer, processing the deer, inspecting the meat, transporting it to food banks, administering the program from start to finish, getting political approval and permits and maybe public relations needed to avoid public protest.  If any local government is doing it without all of these things, it's doing it illegally without the knowledge or approval of the public.  What else do they do illegally without the public's knowledge and approval?

The NY DEC should never allow these shoots to happen.  How is it NY game laws are not applied to these "special" shoots?  Everything these government agencies are doing, from night hunting, baiting, either sex, no quota, suppressed shooting, to no check in or accountability for the take, is completely illegal for hunters who pay to harvest an animal they use for food.  When something is legal for government, but illegal for the public, that is tyranny.

The hunting community in NY should be at the forefront of outrage against these shoots.  Hunters are the ones who are getting screwed here.  No game animal population in NY state should be controlled by any group other than licensed and trained hunters. These animals are the property of the entire state public, not the local government.

Question: Why can't we hunters apply for positions to take these deer legally with special training and conditions? 

Answer:  Because we are not part of the government elite and they despise us.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lawdwaz, perhaps you would be so kind as to fill me in on your thoughts, since you indicated my post was humorous.

I've had quite a bit of experience with these town shoots, many in upper class neighborhoods.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

They also shoot them in stiglemeir park.  Suppressed 308’s I heard.  43 was number I heard a few years ago. Just rolled past that section on Como Park blvd and didn’t see a deer and we were looking. 

If you mean USDA  they  use suppress 243-caliber bolt guns with a  trigger jobs  all shots  are head and neck 

They use frangible ammo designed to break apart on impact and not go through the game . 

Full disclaimer I'm no expert  :)

Edited by Storm914

I think it is important for all hunters to realize these problems were created by the same governments that are now proclaiming themselves to be the solution.

Until they passed laws preventing deer hunting in these areas, there was no deer population problem.

BTW, no local jurisdiction has the power to ban hunting, as that is strictly a state authority.  They stop hunting within their borders by banning the discharge of weapons that could be used for hunting.  Therefore, hunting is technically and legally not banned, but discharging a firearm or bow is.

Unless you happen to be allowed to discharge a weapon inside their town limits because you are a police officer.  Now, how do they connect the ability of a L.E.O. to discharge a weapon in order to defend himself, with hunting deer?  They do so by saying they are doing it to keep the public safe from deer/car collisions.  (The public also appreciates not having the deer eat their expensive landscaping).

That all makes sense until you realize they created the problem and are now making taxpayers fork over millions so they can fix it, especially when allowing controlled hunting would fix the problem for free, and in many cases, bring money into the town.

If I lived in a town that was doing this, I would certainly be voicing my displeasure with town officials and making sure the media was exposing all of the details I've outlined about it.

• Like 1