ODYSSEUS

Reading Books In Our Off Time-- Becoming A Lost Art?

Recommended Posts

Probably most reading today is on the Computer and Work related or Social Media like this Site. As far as reading a Good Book in our off time, I believe this is becoming a Lost Art.  Today there are Audio Books. Walk or Jog around a Lake for 30 minutes and you just read a Book.  I guess, I and countless others in their mid- 30s on have read 1,000 Books plus. I know, I have. Some get read 3-4 times like the ILIAD.    Just a small sample above of some of my Books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a big time reader and still love reading a good book and some magazines. I am not much for the novel-story type and prefer those that provide information to my interests. Over the years I have acquired a pretty big library on all things outdoors the shooting industry and hunting dogs. I just ordered former Outdoor Life's gun-shooting editor Jim Carmichael's "Just Jim" and have just recently finished up Elmer Keith's "Sixguns". Books will never go out of style for me.

Al

  • Like 4

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read probably 50 books a year, and have been known to crack open a paperback in early season in the stand.  As long as it's not windy or wet. 

  • Like 5

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At one time literacy was highly prized. It wasn't just the "poor mans college", it was how the world was brought to us. I enjoy a good movie every now and then, but otherwise there isn't anything on the tube that is worth my time. I usually have 3-5 books in process at any given time, and an endless backlog. 

There is a lot of truth in the saying "the more you know, the more you realize you don't know anything"....Every know it all I have ever known would brag of his never having read a book. 

I was resistant to getting an e-reader until I realized just how much easier it made reading. Adjustable font, lighting, and easy access to zillions of titles. I still prefer the physical bound paper book and treasure them, but find the ease of the reading enhanced with the kindle/ whatever. I have a few books on my iPhone. Perfect for when waiting on someone, when "indisposed" , etc. I have been known to listen to an audio book on long trips. they keep me from getting bored/ antsy. Neither the iPhone or audio books take away from my readiing time, rather enhance my access to books I wouldn't otherwise be able to .

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I have never finished an entire book in my life that i can recall. 

Haven't read a book in years, never made it thru an assigned book in school and made it thru 4 years of advanced English classes.  Never liked how they would force you to read something that is of no interest to you.  Just made me dislike the "classics" even more.  

I used to read a few here and there but they usually put me to sleep or I forget about them.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

At one time literacy was highly prized. It wasn't just the "poor mans college", it was how the world was brought to us. I enjoy a good movie every now and then, but otherwise there isn't anything on the tube that is worth my time. I usually have 3-5 books in process at any given time, and an endless backlog. 

There is a lot of truth in the saying "the more you know, the more you realize you don't know anything"....Every know it all I have ever known would brag of his never having read a book. 

I was resistant to getting an e-reader until I realized just how much easier it made reading. Adjustable font, lighting, and easy access to zillions of titles. I still prefer the physical bound paper book and treasure them, but find the ease of the reading enhanced with the kindle/ whatever. I have a few books on my iPhone. Perfect for when waiting on someone, when "indisposed" , etc. I have been known to listen to an audio book on long trips. they keep me from getting bored/ antsy. Neither the iPhone or audio books take away from my readiing time, rather enhance my access to books I wouldn't otherwise be able to .

It's funny because all the people i know who do read a lot don't question anything ,they eat it up with no thought to what they are reading.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Haven't read a book in years, never made it thru an assigned book in school and made it thru 4 years of advanced English classes.  Never liked how they would force you to read something that is of no interest to you.  Just made me dislike the "classics" even more.  

I used to read a few here and there but they usually put me to sleep or I forget about them.  

I'm the same way , forcing me to read some book because someone i have nothing in common with decided its a "classic"  . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm the same way , forcing me to read some book because someone i have nothing in common with decided its a "classic"  . 

In my junior year the english teacher spent 2 months on Moby Dick.  Dissected every damn thing about it.  He was talking about a line in the book and he took off his glasses and stopped talking and just looked at everyone.  He says " I have ruined this book for you , havent I". He told us to close the book we are done with it right now!  He actually was one of my favorite teachers in school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

In my junior year the english teacher spent 2 months on Moby Dick.  Dissected every damn thing about it.  He was talking about a line in the book and he took off his glasses and stopped talking and just looked at everyone.  He says " I have ruined this book for you , havent I". He told us to close the book we are done with it right now!  He actually was one of my favorite teachers in school. 

My favorite teacher was this old guy Mr. O ,he had a file cabinet that he kept for no reason other then to smash with a baseball bat to get someones attention . The dude had schnoz berry bushes for eyebrows .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The recently passed Crossfit/Vegan/GOT Act requires me to disclose within five minutes of meeting someone that I have in fact read all five Game of Thrones books. Twice actually

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The recently passed Crossfit/Vegan/GOT Act requires me to disclose within five minutes of meeting someone that I have in fact read all five Game of Thrones books. Twice actually

Bonus points if you also actually read them on the throne!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Bonus points if you also actually read them on the throne!  

 

Hemhorroids.  

 

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya know does it ever freakin fail on this board for a group of members to crap on and ruin a thread?:aggressive:

Al

  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been an avid reader since elementary school. My first book was, My Side Of The Mountain. About a kid who runs away from the city, and lives off the land in the Catskills. I was hooked after that.

I always have a book in progress, both E Books and Bound Books. My interests are widely varied. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you guys about the "classics", A Separate Peace was complete trash, bit we spent 2 months on it.


'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, grampy said:

I've been an avid reader since elementary school. My first book was, My Side Of The Mountain. About a kid who runs away from the city, and lives off the land in the Catskills. I was hooked after that.

I always have a book in progress, both E Books and Bound Books. My interests are widely varied. 

Yeah I read that quite early too.  Always wanted a hunting falcon since.  An owl would work too.....

  • Like 1

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hated reading books .  I hated reading I had a really low  reading level for my age .When I was in the 8th grade I had the hots for a girl that worked in the library.  Librarian told me I couldn't hang out if I wasn't going to do anything. So she found books  that I would be interested in . Jack London series and alot of others.  That year I read 50 books . The following year I read over 100 and started working in av and the library.  Sophomore  year I was dating the librarians daughter and reading at college  levels. I owe that librarian alot. I read a few books a year . I kept Walden  by Theroug on my bed stand  for years trying to get through it but it put me to sleep. Finally finished it . Probably took me 3 years.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, grampy said:

I've been an avid reader since elementary school. My first book was, My Side Of The Mountain. About a kid who runs away from the city, and lives off the land in the Catskills. I was hooked after that.

I always have a book in progress, both E Books and Bound Books. My interests are widely varied. 

I read that too when I was a kid.  Def a good one, something I was interested in. When I was real young I read every one of Jim kjelgards books as well.  But after that just didn't read very often.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like to drop alot of money on a Book. I often go to OLLIE'S in Middletown. A huge selection of most Topics.Many up to 70 present off. I prefer Shorter Books of 150 pages or less. Something that you know you can finish. Another trip soon. A Handful of Fav books get read more then once. I won't read a Thick Novel though. I wrote my own 4 Books in the Short Story Format on purpose and kept them under 100 pages. I have around 30 or so books on WW1 Flying Aces on Both Sides and over 50 Turkey Hunting Books. All of those were Read at least twice each. Reading is enjoyable with your Fav topics. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's 2 7 foot tall 3.5 foot wide bookshelves filled to overflowing, stacked doue deep and double high in some places.  I like capstick's African hunting tales, and Jim Corbett's Indian man eater stories. 

IMG_20190310_102319.jpg

IMG_20190310_102355.jpg

  • Like 6

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.