ODYSSEUS

Reading Books In Our Off Time-- Becoming A Lost Art?

I just finished-- Fatal Dive. 256 pages- but a good book. If anyone here is interested in what happened to this Sub, let me know.

Just now, Nytracker said:

Coincidence  I gave a copy of My Side of the Mountain to my grandson for his birthday yesterday.

I did the same with both my grandsons. 

I read it to them before they were old enough to read on their own. Great memories of me reading it to them, while we were all sitting in my oversize recliner together.  My youngest, Zach, would always ask me to tell the story "about the boy in the woods". He's growing to be a fine outdoorsman now.

I thank my 5th grade teacher Mrs Roberts for seeing my interests back then, and suggesting My Side Of The Mountain to me. My reading skills were below average at that point. But turned around, to way above average by the time I got to HS. I couldn't read enough! It opened up whole new worlds to me, a poor kid from the sticks.

• Like 3

I had my girls read Where the Red Fern Grows when they were 8 or so, they loved it but were not happy with the ending lol and they let me know about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

20 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I had my girls read Where the Red Fern Grows when they were 8 or so, they loved it but were not happy with the ending lol and they let me know about it

I also read that when I was a kid and I proclaim the movie will make ANY grown man cry......otherwise your a monster!  Lol

• Like 1

Ok so I had to go look for red fern grows . I have read it but got confused . Another good book I pulled for my grandson to read.  I should go through all my books and give them to my grandson each year as he matures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Ya know does it ever freakin fail on this board for a group of members to crap on and ruin a thread?:aggressive:

Al

I actually found some of the comments quite funny ,they made me smile .

As for books I’ve read two in the last number of years that I can remember .

Henry David Thoreau’s Walden’s Pond, and  Kevin O’Learys ( of Shark Tank ) first book, the title I forget .

1 minute ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I actually found some of the comments quite funny ,they made me smile

I actually did not!!

• Like 1

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

I hated reading books .  I hated reading I had a really low  reading level for my age .When I was in the 8th grade I had the hots for a girl that worked in the library.  Librarian told me I couldn't hang out if I wasn't going to do anything. So she found books  that I would be interested in . Jack London series and alot of others.  That year I read 50 books .

Life lesson: hug your local librarian.

59 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Coincidence  I gave a copy of My Side of the Mountain to my grandson for his birthday yesterday.

Every kid that comes to my camp gets a copy.

18 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I also read that when I was a kid and I proclaim the movie will make ANY grown man cry......otherwise your a monster!  Lol

That and Old Yeller.

• Like 1

Why ? Each post was on topic ,some funny as well ,and directly related to  the OP’s question , of if book reading, was becoming a lost art ?

That question is going to generate answers from both readers and non readers .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Why ?

I stand by what I said and did not think anything was funny, I guess I do not have your sense of humor.

• Like 1

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Just ask my wife if I read a lot. I couldn't even guess how many books I have on shelves and packed in boxes. They are probably 90% fiction, with the majority of them being westerns and assassin books. William W. Johnstone is by far my favorite western author with a lot of Louis L' amour mixed in as well.

The kindle is a savior for me. I still go back and read my paperbacks, but almost all of my new books are on the kindle. No more finding space for all my books because I probably read 100 books or maybe even more in a year. 

• Like 3

I can Honestly say that without all those Turkey Books and over 1,000 Mags with Turkey hunting articles in them, I would probably have a tally of around 15 or so after 29 years instead of 118.  I read and reread everything in sight and then applied BootLeather as, I had no Mentor to Teach me anything. 

• Like 3

It is amazing for a lot of folks how just one particular book will open the floodgate....

My wife is not a reader, but we were at a yardsale and I picked up a copy of "The Miracle Worker" (Helen Keller} and mentioned she might find it interesting. She bought it, read it (first book in literally decades) and before she was through with it started lining up other books....to me, surprising choices, but excellent choices, including "Diary of Anne Franke". 

A lot of folks do read (to me ) mindless garbage....the erotic novels, gothics, etc, but any reading keeps up the literary /reading skills. I almost never touched fiction until I saw the movie "Apaloosa", and found out it was a novel. That led to the different worlds of Parker, including the Spencer novels. To me very light entertaining reading, but my heart is still with the historical novels: most recently "To Try Mens Souls, and Valley Forge, both co-written by Newt Gingrich, on Washingtons campaigns . The books truly show how far our leaders have fallen from the tree liberty grown from.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dom said:

I mostly read and collect cook books.

Remember Classic Comics for Christmas (Carrols restaurant I think?)

Back in the seventies, we had Economy Books in downtown Syracuse. Used comic books and magazines for 5 cents. just as exciting though were the old copes of Sports Afield, etc. with the great cover art/photos, of hunting all over the worlds. Those opened up a lot of worlds to us....

To me there's not much better than curling up naked on the floor in front of a fire with a good book and my main squeeze,lol!

I'm just starting these two, and I'm not sure who the author is, but I'm looking forward to getting more of these thrillers!

I've only made it to the part where the guy starts to mix the gas with the oil, and all of a sudden.....CAUTION!!!

I had to put it down at that point, so if anyone else has read them, don't ruin it for me and tell me what happens next!:scenic:

DSC_0305.thumb.JPG.d5aa4e6e9f67d34904dd730dc3cfcb8f.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

View my nature photos @

http://www.pbase.com/wooly

Post of the day Wooly!! Forget the sugarplums; visions of woodchips dancing dancing through our heads!!

• Like 2

"It's fun to win elections." -- Bill Whittle

I go in spurts, I do read a lot more when traveling.  Helps pass the time.  I like to read books that take place in the area I am traveling to, either fiction or non.  On our trip to Alaska, I read Alaska, by James Michener.  Great book and actually added a lot to the trip.  

I have all the Tom Clancy books in hardcover that he wrote on his own.  Just could not get into the second author series after he passed away.   And quite a few others that I liked enough to keep.  I try to recycle them to others so they can enjoy them as well.   Not doing much good sitting on my shelf.  

Currently reading American Buffalo by Steve Rinella, but only about 20 pages in.  And I have 3 or 4 recent purchases that will be read when I go on a trip.  Sooner or later.....

Reading is fundamental!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

Remember Classic Comics for Christmas (Carrols restaurant I think?) 

Carrols restaurants ... I remember them we had one back in the 70s. My parents use to collect the looney tune glasses

Edited by Nytracker

Did they eat venison  after that? Or am I thinking the yearling.

My one daughter read the copy of the Yearling that my grandmother bought me when I was a kid. It’s a bit more racist than I’d remembered lol

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

I go in spurts, I do read a lot more when traveling.  Helps pass the time.  I like to read books that take place in the area I am traveling to, either fiction or non.  On our trip to Alaska, I read Alaska, by James Michener.  Great book and actually added a lot to the trip.  

I have all the Tom Clancy books in hardcover that he wrote on his own.  Just could not get into the second author series after he passed away.   And quite a few others that I liked enough to keep.  I try to recycle them to others so they can enjoy them as well.   Not doing much good sitting on my shelf.  

Currently reading American Buffalo by Steve Rinella, but only about 20 pages in.  And I have 3 or 4 recent purchases that will be read when I go on a trip.  Sooner or later.....

Reading is fundamental!  

I just read a pretty good account of Adirondack crime history, I’ll search my Kindle for the title

Found it: Wicked Adirondacks

• Like 2

-Mitch Hedberg