ODYSSEUS

Reading Books In Our Off Time-- Becoming A Lost Art?

Currently reading Jim Bridger-Mountain Man. I can’t read enough books about the mountain men

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

This was really cool! Sort of strangely written because it’s really old but it’s an awesome look at how wild Pennsylvania wasfc6edc442317c1767ebdb4d816c3f0d3.jpg

• Like 3

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This was really cool! Sort of strangely written because it’s really old but it’s an awesome look at how wild Pennsylvania wasfc6edc442317c1767ebdb4d816c3f0d3.jpg

Great Read! It would have been amazing to have been able to be back in that day for a hunt. As I recall, on more than one occaision they have to resort to beating the poor bear to death with a stick. Their firearms were very....unpredictable, usually any smoothbore they could get their hands on . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Currently reading Jim Bridger-Mountain Man. I can’t read enough books about the mountain men

One of my on deck books!

• Like 1

ł just signed up for a 17 step reading course.

3-5 books per step. (This is going to keep me busy for a while.)

Hoping ł finish the 2 books ł'm in the middle of by the time the first part of the course shows up.

I used to love to read books. It the topic was of interest to me, I read it. Lovecraft was top notch and IMO the best horror author ( yeah I said it, King- HOLD MY BEER! ). I am also a huge fan Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Loved all his works with Sherlock Holmes! Bram Stoker, Poe, Rice, Barker..........

I remember going to my local library to check out books on hunting and fishing. No one was allowed to sign the books out because thay had had to replace them so many times. You read the books and took notes.

I don't read books much anymore because when it comes to what I like to read, there's no originality, just ripping the classics or repeating what 1000 other "authors" already did or said.

I used to love to read books. It the topic was of interest to me, I read it. Lovecraft was top notch and IMO the best horror author ( yeah I said it, King- HOLD MY BEER! ). I am also a huge fan Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Loved all his works with Sherlock Holmes! Bram Stoker, Poe, Rice, Barker..........

I remember going to my local library to check out books on hunting and fishing. No one was allowed to sign the books out because thay had had to replace them so many times. You read the books and took notes.

I don't read books much anymore because when it comes to what I like to read, there's no originality, just ripping the classics or repeating what 1000 other "authors" already did or said.

I started reading Stephen King when I was 12 or 13 and got through everything up to maybe dream catcher? I kind of got bored with him after that. I couldn’t even finish it

-Mitch Hedberg

I've been an avid reader since elementary school. My first book was, My Side Of The Mountain. About a kid who runs away from the city, and lives off the land in the Catskills. I was hooked after that.
I always have a book in progress, both E Books and Bound Books. My interests are widely varied. 

I still having that on a reading list for my students...plus Call of the Wild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ok so I had to go look for red fern grows . I have read it but got confused . Another good book I pulled for my grandson to read.  I should go through all my books and give them to my grandson each year as he matures. 

If you want to help a struggling reader or just build a reader, this is the best way to do it - and a tremendous help to the parents. It somewhat goes without saying that kids listen to others (especially respected family members!) more than their parents at times. If grandpa says I should read it, there’s a greater chance than if mommy or daddy say so....my two cents.

• Like 1

One final plea...go back a read some of those classics ON YOUR OWN. We teachers typically LOVE books and get so fired up about wanting our students to see the same thing we do. We often forget that not all are ready for certain books at certain ages. However, they are classics for a reason- May be worth another look.

• Like 1

One final plea...go back a read some of those classics ON YOUR OWN. We teachers typically LOVE books and get so fired up about wanting our students to see the same thing we do. We often forget that not all are ready for certain books at certain ages. However, they are classics for a reason- May be worth another look.

Gatsby was terrible. Change my mind

-Mitch Hedberg

I Love the ILIAD as well as the ODYSSEY. Not many know that THE AENEID goes with those 2 Books. Read it and you will know. I guess, I have read the Iliad-- a good 5 times since High School Now ODYSSEUS has been described as a Clever- Older Warrior. Still Powerful- but not much to Look at until he Talks and Wisdom is seen. This went well with my  Martial Arts  and Turkey Hunting background. So check out -- THE AENEID this year.

I used to read a lot more than I do now.

I blame it on age and my eyesight fading, I have a tough time reading the print at the end of the day, which is when I would typically open a book. Along with spending the whole day looking at a computer screen at work.

I still read a lot in airports, airplanes, and on long drives when I'm not behind the wheel. And if I'm sitting for deer or turkeys, I'll bring a book to read when the action is slow, it keeps me out there a lot longer.

• Like 3

i'm traditionally a fiction reader. I like the escape. With 3 kids under 6, it's hard to read. Wife and I just had this discussion last night. I'm what you call an immersive reader. I can't just read a chapter, I get hooked in. So TV is easier when the kids are screaming or I just have an hour at the end of a long day. Knowing that I want to start reading more I bought 2 books that were recommended by hunters. The Jack London books I plan to read to my boys as I loved them as a kid. Living in Oxford for 2 years I'm ashamed that I haven't read any Faulkner, so I figured I'd get this collection in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1534907815/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0679752528/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS for those that just like learning about stuff. There's a free podcast called "how stuff works". You can skip around the topics of course but they're great on a commute and you'll learn a ton. I encourage you to listen to the topics you don't think interest you. I get the most from those. 

Gatsby was terrible. Change my mind

As Rodney Dangerfield said best before performing his triple lindsey, “The great Gatsby? He was.......GREAT!”
Satisfied!

• Like 1

As Rodney Dangerfield said best before performing his triple lindsey, “The great Gatsby? He was.......GREAT!”
Satisfied!

Thanks for helping me straighten out my Longfellow

-Mitch Hedberg

Thanks for helping me straighten out my Longfellow

Well done....what’s a bath without bubbles....hey...Bubbles get in here!

Now I may get banned for taking a literature thread and now quite sophomoric movies!

• Haha 1

If anybody needs fantasy or sci-fi recommendations, just ask.  I read more for a mental escape than anything else.  It shuts down a portion of my brain that really needs a rest.

• Like 2

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

12 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

If anybody needs fantasy or sci-fi recommendations, just ask.  I read more for a mental escape than anything else.  It shuts down a portion of my brain that really needs a rest.

In recent years I seem to have transitioned to enjoying Terry Brooks and Tolkien type books the best. .

I started out young reading all the black stallion series, moved on  to every book written by Louis l'amour. Then to james Michener, Asimov, Stephen King, Robert Ludlum, Clive Cussler, Frank Herbert, Dean Koontz ..too many to list ..lol.. if I like an author I will usually read everything they wrote..

It's funny , one of my least favorite books is the Game of Thrones series.. i didnt even finish it..  Amazingly it's an awesome show.. one of the rare cases where the movie is better than the book/s

• Like 1

Pic above is one of my older Classics-- Earth Is Room Enough by Isaac Asimov-- printed in 1957.  Great Book that, I read decades ago. Since it is out-- once again soon. Good condition too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

In recent years I seem to have transitioned to enjoying Terry Brooks and Tolkien type books the best. .

I started out young reading all the black stallion series, moved on  to every book written by Louis l'amour. Then to james Michener, Asimov, Stephen King, Robert Ludlum, Clive Cussler, Frank Herbert, Dean Koontz ..too many to list ..lol.. if I like an author I will usually read everything they wrote..

It's funny , one of my least favorite books is the Game of Thrones series.. i didnt even finish it..  Amazingly it's an awesome show.. one of the rare cases where the movie is better than the book/s

I might not go that far on ASOIAF.

If you like fantasy, I would check out The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay who edited The Silmarillion with Chris Tolkien. Also The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson. Both are series that follow a modern-day person thrown into an otherworld. Kay is the better writer, but the Donaldson books are strong.

The Riverworld series is worth reading for their great conceit - everyone who has ever lived is resurrected alongside a million mile long river. The story follows Richard Francis Burton, Sam Clemens and Hermann Goring among others.

Others will come to mind.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 6:25 PM, XGX7PM said:

ł just signed up for a 17 step reading course.

3-5 books per step. (This is going to keep me busy for a while.)

Hoping ł finish the 2 books ł'm in the middle of by the time the first part of the course shows up.

Ha, got the first book in my reading course today and it's one of the two ł was trying to finish before it arrived. (ł finished the other.)

Looks like it will be returned ahead of schedule.

Funny how things work out sometimes...