ODYSSEUS

Reading Books In Our Off Time-- Becoming A Lost Art?

A couple of favourites ...

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman concerns an average Londoner who inadvertently slips into London Below - the fantasy world under the streets of London.

Fool on a Hill, written by Matt Ruff,  may be the only fantasy novel set in Ithaca. Loved this book.

The Traveller series should concern those worried about individual rights and privacy in the world of The Great Machine. John Twelve Hawks is the author's pseudonym. No one knows his/her real name.

Who wants this gem that I just received at a conference? Nobody?! Me either lol0d979e4c4e7a75481ccdd0a1295d1990.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

On 3/10/2019 at 10:40 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I had my girls read Where the Red Fern Grows when they were 8 or so, they loved it but were not happy with the ending lol and they let me know about it

One of my favorite books along with old yeller and many other animal book another favorite is watership down 

• Like 2

My mom is the reader in our house she reads 4 to 5 books a day .  Barnes & Noble is a twice a week stop for her . I have books all over the place . I bring most of them to the doctor offices and drop them there for others to read

• Like 1

I usually have 2 or 3 books going.  I need to check out Barnes and Noble on RT. 300 in Newburgh down the road.

3 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I usually have 2 or 3 books going.  I need to check out Barnes and Noble on RT. 300 in Newburgh down the road.

If you read love novels  . Let me know I have bags of them lol

Just came today, Jim Carmichel is my favorite outdoor-hunting-shooting writer and author next to Jack O'Connor, I can tell from the preliminaries this is going to be a good one.

Al

2019-03-14_181027.png

2019-03-14_180914.png

• Like 3

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

One of Carmichels' 338 win mags (one of the favorites he extolled) is owned by a customer of mine here in Dutchess county. Had something to do with publishing business and ended up with the gun. I almost bought it for a hunt, but ended up with a 375HH the client ordered for me as a part of tip for his job (I spent almost 2 years there). After many trips I'm rather fond of that 375 even though its just tupperware stocked; that 338 was very well crafted.

That book is a good read.

• Like 1

Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

Best recent read was "Beyond the Bear" by Dan Bigley.

He's in Alaska fishing and is mauled by a grizzly bear and the bear literally bites across his face and takes his forehead, nose and both eyes. The book was a story of his amazing recover and how life went on, even after being blinded, beyond the bear..

Great inspirational read.... 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 11:28 AM, Dom said:

I mostly read and collect cook books.

rinella's new wild game cook book is great. It's actually a good "read" even haha.

On 3/10/2019 at 2:45 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just read a pretty good account of Adirondack crime history, I’ll search my Kindle for the title

Found it: Wicked Adirondacks

how was it? Worth the $20? My old man might get a kick out of it as we have a cabin up there.

https://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Adirondacks-Dennis-Webster/dp/1609497171/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=wicked+adirondacks&qid=1552655752&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

rinella's new wild game cook book is great. It's actually a good "read" even haha.

how was it? Worth the $20? My old man might get a kick out of it as we have a cabin up there.

https://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Adirondacks-Dennis-Webster/dp/1609497171/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=wicked+adirondacks&qid=1552655752&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Sheesh did I spend $20 on it?? Not worth $20, about a third of it was about mineral rights and federal laws about forestry. I wish I could find a good account of the Loomis Gang but it does not seem to exist especially not for Kindle

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

It looks like I spent $9.99 for Kindle version

-Mitch Hedberg

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

Sheesh did I spend $20 on it?? Not worth $20, about a third of it was about mineral rights and federal laws about forestry. I wish I could find a good account of the Loomis Gang but it does not seem to exist especially not for Kindle

that's for the paperback. Kindle is a lot cheaper i believe. 

• Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

It's nice to see that people are at least reading. It engages the mind and the imagination, no matter what the subject is.

Mark Twain said, "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." Salient point.

• Like 3

"It's fun to win elections." -- Bill Whittle

59 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Mark Twain said, "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." Salient point.

My Dad used to say "the more you read the more you learn, the more you learn the more you can earn."

Al

• Like 2

I've always been a voracious reader. Mostly it involved reading books, especially as a kid, but it's also involved reading people during business dealings over the years. There's a lot to be learned from an 'opponent' in a business deal if one is paying attention. It's something that President Trump does exceedingly well, and something that President Obama has never done in his life.

"It's fun to win elections." -- Bill Whittle

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I grabbed this for the kindle last night

-Mitch Hedberg

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I grabbed this for the kindle last night

Crack into it yet?!? Looking forward to initial thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have about 10 Books total by the Late Zechariah Sitchin.  His 1st Book-- the 12th Planet discusses another Planet in our Solar System. A Planet with a 3,600 year orbit with a wide Arc like a Comet . Called Planet Nibiru - it passes between Mars and Jupiter in the Asteroid Belt. Populated by a Giant Race of Humans called Nefilim  who came here 445,000 years ago to mine Gold which they suspended in their Dwindling Atmosphere. There is current debate that Nibiru is the Wormwood in the Bible.   Very interesting books. Sitchin was one the first men to  read the ancient Sumerian Seals. 

• Like 1

Another 2 Books that, I am rereading. Grand Days In The Turkey Woods  will get you Pumped for Spring Turkey Hunting!! And Black Fokker Leader is about Carl Degelow. He was the last WW1 German Ace to receive the most coveted award-- The Blue Max. He survived WW1 with 30 Victories.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:07 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Who wants this gem that I just received at a conference? Nobody?! Me either lol0d979e4c4e7a75481ccdd0a1295d1990.jpg

I'll take it. I'm leading through a major work initiative across AI and RPA. 

www.pursuitoutdoors.com or pursuitoutdoorstrailcameras on Facebook
Trail Camera Sales, Reviews, and Troubleshooting - PM for HNY pricing!

Three excellent books from the master, hunting all over the world and the firearms used. Jack O'Connor

2019-03-23_201256.png

• Like 1