Barrel Break in

A discussion in the 6.5 build thread got me thinking about barrel break in.

I have a savage 30-.06 that I was never happy with. It just seemed to be all over the place at 100 yards. Never even went to 200 yards with it.

It was mentioned with varying procedures to break the barrel in before even trying to zero in. Which got me thinking that I probably don’t even have 40 rounds through the barrel.

Could that be the issue? I’ve shot 2 different types of ammo and had the same inaccurate results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Surprised a savage is having issues.  The break in is supposed to smooth out imperfections while also removing copper fouling in the process.  Can’t hurt to clean well and start over. I will say my most accurate rifles had no break in but they also have the higher end barrels.  

The Savage rifles have a very good reputation especially when it comes to accuracy so while it could be possible that the cause of the poor performance could be the rifle I would bet the problem is elsewhere. I would first start looking at the scope and mounts, make sure all the screws are locked down and tight. If it still shoots lousy try a different scope to eliminate that as being a factor.

Check to make sure the action screws are tight.

The ammo and bullets can also affect accuracy, some rifles can be picky with not only bullet weights but also bullet manufacturers. One of my most accurate rifles a Ruger 220 Swift started performing the way it should just from the bullet being seated at a length it preferred.

They can make you pull your hair out sometimes but I am one that like to solve the puzzle if it is possible.

Al 

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

I follow a break in period  my gramps taught me . 

2 @3 shots swab between each . Then full clean.

4 @ 5 shots full clean between  each of 4

2 @10 full clean . 

If it's not shooting well by then dump it and get a new gun . By then it should be broke in or showing a bigger problem .

Shooting well is subjective.

Personal ability, basic quality of the rifle bought.

Average modern  bolt action sporter in my opinion should be 1 inch group with  scope and factory ammo.

I wont own a gun that can't shoot to my ability .

Edited by Nytracker

What ammo are you shooting ? My 06 is all over the place when i shoot the core lok crap .

I shoot those 168g winchesters , that rifle is stupid accurate ,at least out to 300 ,thats as far as i can shoot at the range.

Edited by Jeremy K

Shooting for accuracy starts at the bench.....
What is your setup?
After that the rifle, scope, rings/bases and ammo need to be up to snuff. Are they?
Ammo?

Last box was Hornady Whitetail 150 grain. The box before that was I think Remington core-lok maybe 165 grain.

I haven’t even shot it in 2 years because I was so disappointed in it.

Shooting for accuracy starts at the bench.....
What is your setup?
After that the rifle, scope, rings/bases and ammo need to be up to snuff. Are they?
Ammo?

I’m shooting from a seated position at a table with a sled.

Last time I shot it everything seemed to be in order besides changing up ammo. Already tried 2 different types.

I understand the bbl break in esp. with premium long range cartridges, where every fraction of a minute of angle makes the difference, but in real world hunting ranges I think it is over thought. Certainly I think a bit more attention to cleaning thoroughly a new bbl is practical, but there are a lot of break in products I think are just cash register bait. 

My buddy has a savage 06 and it shoots the core lok nicely ,he bought the combo deal and the scope that came with it actually took a dump and had to be replaced.

Mine was the combo deal as well with the accu-trigger which I love.

I don’t even remember what scope is on it. I’ll have to look when I get back home.

8 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Mine was the combo deal as well with the accu-trigger which I love.

I don’t even remember what scope is on it. I’ll have to look when I get back home.

His started out as a shooter until one day he shot a does leg off ,took it home and it was all over the place from one shot to the next ,he put a mid range nikon scope on and it shoots good now. I shot with him the day he loaded a .308 round in it ,still shot good after that ,luckily nobody got hurt from that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I’m shooting from a seated position at a table with a sled.

Last time I shot it everything seemed to be in order besides changing up ammo. Already tried 2 different types.

Do you shoot at home?

My Savage followed break in process. It will eat anything Hornady out far. Core lokck stuff gets iffy after 100. Definitely shoots noticeable tighter groups with the Hornady accutip than the American whitetail. I put some Winchester through it as well, and that was similar results to the rem.

I'm a firm believer that the Savage rifles are fantastic for the money, but they are almost like a ML where the more you shoot / clean the tighter your groups get.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Bought the wife a savage axis muddy girl 243 a few years ago . Scope rings and base were junk best we could do with it was 1.5  with her shooting . Maybe  an inch with me shooting . Used Remington corlocks  and blue box  federals.. . Took the gun to the range the following year and tried federal fusions  shot a little better. Scope tanked at 2 years old . Took it off changed to  steele base and super slam steele rings and new scope.. she is much closer to an inch at 100 and I'm under an inch. Trigger is probably the biggest  failure now . Wish it had accutrigger.  Not terrible  for $270  gun.

Wife is happy with it  that's all that matters.

9 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Trigger is probably the biggest  failure now . Wish it had accutrigger. 

There are a number of videos on YouTube showing how a non-accutrigger Savage trigger can be improved.  Check them out.  Not very difficult to make the trigger much better.

31 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

According to John Krieger, a premium barrel maker their isnt any reccomend break in procedure. This guy produces some of the most accurate barrels made. Shoot, clean and enjoy.

THIS.

In the past 60 years I have had many rifles from stock factory ( mid priced ) to there top of the line, Custom made rifles with custom barrels and related parts, and custom bench rest rifles . I wasted time and ammo with the so called BBL break ins.                                                                                           First what are you shooting the rifle off of, Second it could be you and how you are holding it or pulling the trigger ( let another person shoot it ) and see how they do with it, Next spend the time and money to find out what  ammo the rifle likes.And most important was the rifle and components  assembled and adjusted properly.

I have had bench rest rifles that shot 1/16" center to center bullet holes in a target at 100 yards And top of the line expensive rifles that shot 3" center to centers at 100 yards which had the screws holding the actions over tightened , putting stress on the action and barrels.  And some other better rifles with composite stocks that just need a good glass bedding of the action and bbl , done by a pro. 

I do a quick test right away to see if a new barrel needs to be broken in. Most don't, and I don't ever remember a Savage barrel requiring a rigorous process of break-in.

At a very stable bench I'll use my top bench rest gear and technique at 100 yards and shoot five rounds. If the group starts to open up after 2 or 3 rounds it's probably a candidate for a good break-in. Most of the time it's a very coarse rifling that is easily fouled. It takes a lot of ammo and patience to fix that. Fortunately I enjoy loading and bench shooting.

The worst offender I've ever seen was the stainless T/C 14" barrel that I have in .223. It required over 200 rounds with substantial cleaning every two shots before it started to come together. I swear half the copper in the bullet jacket was left inside the barrel on every shot. It's capable of nailing woodchucks at 300 yards now if I do my part. Consistently hitting a 55 gallon drum at 300 yards would have been impossible when I first bought it. Things are trickier with factory ammo though.

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

I understand the bbl break in esp. with premium long range cartridges, where every fraction of a minute of angle makes the difference, but in real world hunting ranges I think it is over thought. Certainly I think a bit more attention to cleaning thoroughly a new bbl is practical, but there are a lot of break in products I think are just cash register bait. 

Ya I didn’t even know it was a thing , although I did find the responses educational.

I got an old picnic table in a farm field , two sand bags, which vary from  dry, to wet or frozen .

i set gun on it shoot and dial scope till shots are tennis ball sized and in the center .

thats the last time it’ll be shot of a rest, as I don’t hunt off rests . But I do find benchrest and long range accuracy shooting cool and see their need to shoot that way .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad