Hunting Crows In The Woods?

Killed lots of them in the woods, Rob...This time of the year you MUST set up in evergreens.....Find a pine or hemlock stand and then find an area where you have opening overhead to shoot.. Call from there..When they come in it will be fast and furious..Good luck....A'int no WAY you will ever call crows in the open ( leafless) hardwoods this time of the year..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rob... said:

I forgot about that one. Thanks for the reminder, that could have been ugly.

There's a list of invasive species / unprotected species on dec website if you want to have some fun with a gun and help out DEC get rid of these pests in are woods .

The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow, crossbow, or firearm.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

There's a list of invasive species / unprotected species on dec website if you want to have some fun with a gun and help out DEC get rid of these pests in are woods .

The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow, crossbow, or firearm.

I have killed many red squirrels, and eaten quite a few, not recommended. Killed many woodchucks as well, eaten a few. A few porcupines, never eaten.

As for the birds, starlings and pigeons have been targeted many times. Never bothered with sparrows. I have personally never seen a monk parakeet, can't shoot what I don't see.

• Like 1

There is an enormous colony of monk parrots in the Throgs Neck section of the Bronx. They created massive nests in the lights of a baseball field my kids played at a bunch in little league. My guess is there is a White Castle close by for your viewing and dining pleasure.

I would not recommend bringing a gun to hunt them though. You will not be the only(or most heavily) armed person in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

There is an enormous colony of monk parrots in the Throgs Neck section of the Bronx. They created massive nests in the lights of a baseball field my kids played at a bunch in little league. My guess is there is a White Castle close by for your viewing and dining pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So apparently they prefer the company of those liberal downstate Democrats in large metro areas. I hope they keep that mentality. I don't want to have try and choke Parrot meat down my gullet. LOL!

• Like 1

I don't get the love affair with white castle ?  Did you get into a fight with the Hamburglar and Burger King or something and this is your way of getting back . Last time I went there I wish I didn't, And same for my colon  :(

images.jpeg-4.jpg

download.jpeg-6.jpg

Edited by Storm914

42 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I don't get the love affair with white castle ?  Did you get into a fight with the Hamburglar and Burger King or something and this is your way of getting back . Last time I went there I wish I didn't, And same for my colon  :(

images.jpeg-4.jpg

download.jpeg-6.jpg

I wish you would keep your back and forth with these guys out of my threads. Thanks and have a nice night.

• Like 1

Rob, If your timing is right meaning the right wind and temps, being right on the shoreline of lake ontario can be a world class crow shoot.   early march hard south west or west wind rising temps you can burn through a ton of shells.  generally you want to be within a few hundred yards of the lake. this morning was a different story as the crows were 4-500 yards inland but they were coming through by the thousands. 

as far as setting up  in the woods goes, yes it can be done but generally its field edges/fencerows that folks set up on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reeltime said:

Rob, If your timing is right meaning the right wind and temps, being right on the shoreline of lake ontario can be a world class crow shoot.   early march hard south west or west wind rising temps you can burn through a ton of shells.  generally you want to be within a few hundred yards of the lake. this morning was a different story as the crows were 4-500 yards inland but they were coming through by the thousands. 

as far as setting up  in the woods goes, yes it can be done but generally its field edges/fencerows that folks set up on.

I live in Up State NY. Albany County. Robhuntandfish lives out near the lake, not me . LOL.

Thank you for information though.

Im far from an expert but i do hunt them heavily theclast 8 or so years. Have killed close to 300 this winter. The problem with calling in the woods is that they will remain too high to kill many. I set up in brushy apple thickets snd such for good cover. Put some dekes as high up in the trees as you can. Concealment is foremost. When they come in over that brush they are right in the kill zone. I put one deke on a 15 foot extension pole. Works great!!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Rob... said:

I live in Up State NY. Albany County. Robhuntandfish lives out near the lake, not me . LOL.

Thank you for information though.

sorry, too many Rob's on here to keep up with. LOL  oh well if your out this way in early march on a fri-mon trip and its warm and breezy from the west bring your shooter and lots of shells.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, reeltime said:

sorry, too many Rob's on here to keep up with. LOL  oh well if your out this way in early march on a fri-mon trip and its warm and breezy from the west bring your shooter and lots of shells.

Anyone know why you can't hunt them every day of the week ? 

35 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I Don't hunt Crow myself- but, I call in Plenty with that Primos Power Crow. Loads of fun as they keep coming back.

At the risk of this being a "Personal Attack" and taking a ban, I want to thank you for adding nothing to this thread, or what it's meant for. You like to whine when people derail your threads, but you have no problem doing it to others. Please, go take more pics of you and your hats and stop crapping on actual hunting threads.

Good Day To You Sir!

To try and get this thread back on track, I'm still going to get my scouting time in tomorrow. At this time for my area, the weather looks OK for Friday in my area ( yeah, forecasters have been spot on the last few years ), so I may try and give it a shot then.

I honestly appreciate and thank the people who have given advice. Not a big time crow hunter here, so I always appreciate solid advice.

Woods near me are a mess. Plenty of mud, and even still holding snow and ice. I didn't have much luck locating signs of turkeys on either of the places I hit today. I have another month to scout turkey, and a couple weeks to do some crow hunting.

On 3/11/2019 at 4:02 PM, Pygmy said:

Killed lots of them in the woods, Rob...This time of the year you MUST set up in evergreens.....Find a pine or hemlock stand and then find an area where you have opening overhead to shoot.. Call from there..When they come in it will be fast and furious..Good luck....A'int no WAY you will ever call crows in the open ( leafless) hardwoods this time of the year..

Im about to give this a go

On 3/11/2019 at 4:57 PM, Rob... said:

I have killed many red squirrels, and eaten quite a few, not recommended.

Oh red squirrel is great! ;) 

The way I describe it to people is... put some over cooked chicken in your mouth, some pine needles and a couple old pennies.  That's what they taste like. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1