Who is doing spring clover?

I'm sure this is beaten to death, but my fall throw n grow annual didn't work out so well. Going to give this one spot one last shot with some clover. Any local mixtures that work best? I've had success in past years with imperial but it got plenty of sun. Wondering if it's even worth it in partial shade. When to start the work? It doesn't feel like it, but I seem to remember starting early spring last time i did it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Belo said:

. . . When to start the work? It doesn't feel like it, but I seem to remember starting early spring last time i did it.

Belo, when are you looking to have the clover available to eat? I'm in the same boat. I did food plots two years ago, and I forgot what I did when, and I still need to figure it out for this year.

ł am in the process of clearing a 200 yard stretch that's 10 yard wide.

ł plan on seeding it with a clover mix at the very least once ł fully clear it. Lots of big stuff ł havent gotten out because its been too cold.

Hoping to have all the big stuff drug out for the splitter and the scraps burned before the burn ban goes in to effect.

W-S looks good to me this week.

Earliest I can frost seed is the last week of April. I was chomping at the bit last year but snow was 6 inches deep till May. I've seen people say not to mix red and white clover because they compete with each other. Chicory and clover is what I've had success with as far as mixes.

By failed what do you mean? If you plan to frost seed, do it now or within the next couple weeks. But also make sure weed and grass competition is eliminated as best as possible. Unless you have a grain re growing for a nurse crop. OR you can wait until everything turns green and is warm enough, spread seed and spray it with roundup. A rain will seat your seed for you. Lots of good choices for seeds, but I like products with minimal weed seed and little "inert matter" like seed coatings....

I had planned on frost seeding but I am going to wait for green up, spray and start over. With a different perennial blend.  

Edited by LET EM GROW

By failed what do you mean? If you plan to frost seed, do it now or within the next couple weeks. But also make sure weed and grass competition is eliminated as best as possible. Unless you have a grain re growing for a nurse crop. OR you can wait until everything turns green and is warm enough, spread seed and spray it with roundup. A rain will seat your seed for you. Lots of good choices for seeds, but I like products with minimal weed seed and little "inert matter" like seed coatings....
I had planned on frost seeding but I am going to wait for green up, spray and start over. With a different perennial blend.  
After green up............So do you spray.....wait a few days .....remove dead vegetation .....they spread seed?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

if you remember we had a very dry august and then a very wet fall. so my annual plot went in drier than i'd have wanted and then too wet. It's a shady spot and i planted a shady annual but the deer also destroyed it which makes me think i need a better base. 

heres the thread complete with pics 

i guess i'll have to read up on frost seeding. I'll only be doing a 1/4 plot and only have hand tools. 

2 hours ago, Belo said:

so basically as soon as the ground is clear of snow is ok? Assuming it also needs to not be frozen?

Frozen is ok you want a freeze /thaw to set the seed. If your just planting clover for green manure for a fall pot just plant red clover. If you plant later throw oats in it in april will give you summer feed and good compost for a later summer turn down and fall plot

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Last year the ban started on 3/16. Is it the same this year? I've been dropping some of my poor quality trees the last few weekends and was hoping to burn a mountain of scraps this weekend.

March 16th --> May 14th

17 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

After green up............So do you spray.....wait a few days .....remove dead vegetation .....they spread seed?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You can do it the same day. Spread your seed, then spray your vegetation with round up. If you can, roll it after spreading the seed. If not, a rain will seat your seed into the soil for you. Have done this method many times before. 

15 hours ago, Belo said:

if you remember we had a very dry august and then a very wet fall. so my annual plot went in drier than i'd have wanted and then too wet. It's a shady spot and i planted a shady annual but the deer also destroyed it which makes me think i need a better base. 

heres the thread complete with pics 

i guess i'll have to read up on frost seeding. I'll only be doing a 1/4 plot and only have hand tools. 

Yea, Last summer was brutal for late season planting, more than half of my fall plots failed last year, they germinated perfect but the rain never gave up and drowned most everything I planted from August through September. Without seeing it, its hard to say, when in doubt I always start over from scratch. Spray it and seed it same day. ( Did this with a clover plot in early June, results were phenomenal)  Hate to see more weeds than plots species and waste money on seed. These pretty, smaller green plots within the woods draw attention like crazy.  

also, anyone frost seeding with "shelf bags of clover" should read the label.. Products like WI Clover, is 1/2 berseem clover which wont work with frost seeding.. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

That’s sucks. Still have close to a foot of snow in the woods.

Burn it. You will not have a problem. They need a ban for people that have no idea that woods are dry in spring after snow melt..

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

Burn it. You will not have a problem. They need a ban for people that have no idea that woods are dry in spring after snow melt..

I'll likely observe the ban. I know sparks and embers can travel, and not all areas are wet. I'd hate to be the start of a problem on a neighboring parcel.

It just seems odd as the particular spot is in a gully that's usually wet anyways, under 6-8 inches of snow and within 50 ft of a small pond. And it's going to rain on Friday (was going to burn on Saturday).

Elderly guy across the road from me got ticketed two years ago, but his fire got out of control and started a couple acre fire that the local fire company responded to.

16 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I'll likely observe the ban. I know sparks and embers can travel, and not all areas are wet. I'd hate to be the start of a problem on a neighboring parcel.

It just seems odd as the particular spot is in a gully that's usually wet anyways, under 6-8 inches of snow and within 50 ft of a small pond. And it's going to rain on Friday (was going to burn on Saturday).

Elderly guy across the road from me got ticketed two years ago, but his fire got out of control and started a couple acre fire that the local fire company responded to.

Just take a hot dog with you and it's a cooking fire not effected by ban..

• Haha 1