Who is doing spring clover?

• 1 month later...

the spring has been great for my little experiment. I'm happy that the 7 year old opened bag of clover I found and just tossed around at the end of March is actually taking off pretty well. Who knows if it'll survive and not get mowed down, but my only goal is to just stop the deer or maybe get them to take a particular run over another. For basically no work, i'm fine either way.

001.thumb.JPG.286d69323cd74efeb02f5e910919d8d8.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

the spring has been great for my little experiment. I'm happy that the 7 year old opened bag of clover I found and just tossed around at the end of March is actually taking off pretty well. Who knows if it'll survive and not get mowed down, but my only goal is to just stop the deer or maybe get them to take a particular run over another. For basically no work, i'm fine either way.

001.thumb.JPG.286d69323cd74efeb02f5e910919d8d8.JPG

Nice.  Surprised its growing so well.  Ferns are usually a bad sign for growth in my experience.  If I recall, its an indicator of highly acidic soil and little sun.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Just checked a DeerAg clover plot i started June 2017.. Needs a high clipping and maybe chemical but doing well! 

Same with a few others that were fall planted and frost seeded. Just hard to see through The WW nurse crop..

20190529_162647.jpg

I need to get out and check mine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Nice.  Surprised its growing so well.  Ferns are usually a bad sign for growth in my experience.  If I recall, its an indicator of highly acidic soil and little sun.

hmm that's interesting to hear. we have a mix of old growth, heavy dense older pines and new brush so thick you can barely walk it. There a few stands where the sun just kind of peaks through and this is one of those spots. 

Like I said, it was low effort, so i'm ok with whatever. We did fertilizer it last fall when i did my fall plot and i do believe these are real ideal growing conditions (confirmed by how often we're all mowing our lawns). I do have a soil ph probe I could use to check it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

hmm that's interesting to hear. we have a mix of old growth, heavy dense older pines and new brush so thick you can barely walk it. There a few stands where the sun just kind of peaks through and this is one of those spots. 

Like I said, it was low effort, so i'm ok with whatever. We did fertilizer it last fall when i did my fall plot and i do believe these are real ideal growing conditions (confirmed by how often we're all mowing our lawns). I do have a soil ph probe I could use to check it.

Pines are also an indicator of acidic soil, but if its growing, I wouldn't worry about it.

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Pines are also an indicator of acidic soil, but if its growing, I wouldn't worry about it.

in this particular case this is an old christmas tree farm planted by the boyscouts probably 40 or 50 years ago. It's the coolest thing to see. All the lower sections are dead so you can walk through a lot of it pretty easily, but it's super quiet with the needles on the floor. It's also super spooky at dawn and dusk haha.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

in this particular case this is an old christmas tree farm planted by the boyscouts probably 40 or 50 years ago. It's the coolest thing to see. All the lower sections are dead so you can walk through a lot of it pretty easily, but it's super quiet with the needles on the floor. It's also super spooky at dawn and dusk haha.

Love hunting them dank dark quiet pines. Visability is good and the deer still surprise the hell out of you with their stealthiness.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

As Moog stated that is the general rule of thumb, ferns and or pines typically mean low Ph(acidic soil). This plot was super low effort as well. This spot was a mature Spruce plantation. I just spread this clover blend with soybeans down on the logging roads and decks. And let rain do its magic. I didnt roll it or anything. Pines forests are usually in, or create acidic soils. I have done, nor added anything to this plot and it literally took right off. No sunlight for several decades no veg on forest floor.. But the clover has done well. Thats one reason why i dont buy into all the hype, until i witness it first hand. Our soils are quite crappy, but we've grown just about everything on them so far..   and I refuse to use fertilizers. Besides the very rare application of nitrogen. Many seeds can be planted with very minimal effort. Good hard seeds will last awhile as long as they are free from moisture.. 7 years, that is impressive though!

34 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I need to get out and check mine

With raising these kids, Ive turned a lot of my plots into perennials.. No time to use my green thumbs lately lol. and the quick no till methods let me get more done in less time! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

As Moog stated that is the general rule of thumb, ferns and or pines typically mean low Ph(acidic soil). This plot was super low effort as well. This spot was a mature Spruce plantation. I just spread this clover blend with soybeans down on the logging roads and decks. And let rain do its magic. I didnt roll it or anything. Pines forests are usually in, or create acidic soils. I have done, nor added anything to this plot and it literally took right off. No sunlight for several decades no veg on forest floor.. But the clover has done well. Thats one reason why i dont buy into all the hype, until i witness it first hand. Our soils are quite crappy, but we've grown just about everything on them so far..   and I refuse to use fertilizers. Besides the very rare application of nitrogen. Many seeds can be planted with very minimal effort. Good hard seeds will last awhile as long as they are free from moisture.. 7 years, that is impressive though!

sitting in my parents flood prone / moisture rich basement no less. Imperial for the win haha.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got in the woods Friday as the weather was a little cooler and took down the turkey blind. Replaced a stand with a more comfy one and added a ladder stick to another tall stand for a safer and easier climb.

Given the shade and soil, i guess my clover is doing ok still. Will probably still try my remaining throw and grow seed in the fall as well. It's not nearly enough to attract the deer, but with the east and west side fields not having corn this year, maybe it'll stop them. and that's all it takes.

005.thumb.JPG.ef4471e2e8fb77fd21721b1988fc8321.JPG006.thumb.JPG.0413ba006a709acdaaee8dec8d7f612a.JPG