How would you rate yourself as a turkey caller ?

turkeyfeathers

I’m a 6 of 10 at best. Only run a slate call. Yelps , purrs , clucks , some cutting is all I got. Although I think I have the know how of what to say and when , when to go silent and when to pizz him off.  If that bird has a mission to die that morning anything will drag him in. It’s the tough ones that make it the chess match I’m after. Any somewhat serious turkey hunter will agree the worst calling they’ve ever heard is by a real hen. Or it might have been me ^_^  

• Haha 1

TF, I too run just a slate.  And I can make decent sounds with it, but the hardest part for me is what calls to do and when.   I usually try to just repeat whatever sounds I am hearing from the hens, or if it is a gobble to just putt and purr a little, otherwise stay silent.  Come to think of it "stay silent" is probably my best turkey call and the hardest one to do 

• Like 4

1 out of 10... none of my calls seem to work early in the AM. A couple hours prior to noon they all come alive, so i've got to give myself something.  box, slate, pusher, or diaphragm seems i'm horrible at all of them. turkeys come in just so i shut up.

I consider myself a decent caller. Not as good as I used to be though. Back in the early 2000's I had some great and big places to hunt and no kids and not much job responsibilities so I hunted a lot in NY and PA and got to mess around calling to a bunch of birds. Now a day's between kids and my job I don't have much time to go even though I have Tom's gobbling right out my back door.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where I rank numerically. TF said it best, the worst turkey talk you hear comes from a real turkey. I've heard hens do some crazy stuff, and cackle for 10 min straight (proving the over calling theory). So if I think I'm a bad caller, does it actually mean I'm good ? I'll take a 5 and stay safe

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did have more success last year with my calling, but not enough to seal the deal with the bow. So, because I love to torture myself, I will be hunting mainly with the bow again this Spring season. I want the feeling I had from last season when that Jake came in but just not close enough. This season, I want that feeling and hopefully seal the deal on a bird with the bow.