How would you rate yourself as a turkey caller ?

turkeyfeathers

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Bingo !!    Having hunted gobblers for close to 50 years now, I have had the opportunity to hunt birds in several areas the first couple of years when seasons have been established....Ontario, Canada...Maine...Kentucky...several locales in NY when huntable flocks were first established....In all cases, birds in areas recently opened to hunting provided lots of easy, naaive, gobblers....However, within a few seasons, these gobblers become just as tough to kill as in areas where they have been hunted many years...The toughest gobblers I have hunted have been in places where they have been hunted for many years, like Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and southwestern NY

Smartest/toughest birds I ever hunted were on public land, either Florida swamps or PA/NY mountains. Educated birds = smart birds.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Had a turkey walk right through my front lawn this morning after the kids got on the bus.  My wife thought it was quite amusing.  I might try the big bus diesel call this season.

When I hunt near the 400 if a dump truck gate slams and I dont hear a gobble I may as well go home

Back in the 80s and  90s I use to hunt turkeys  every chance I got.  I would say I was a solid 8 . Mouth calls  slate and glass were my go to. Never felt proficient with box calls . Worked a few pushbutton  calls  and did well with them . In early 2000 coyotes and increased  hunting pressure  changed the birds. If you called loud  birds shut up. If you got a gobbler really fired up hunters would jump in on you . Then it just seemed  gobblers were calling on the roost and shut up  when they hit the ground . I learned less is more . Work close  to roosted birds .  Try to put yourself between hen groups and gobblers before calling . I almost never cackle at birds . I will softly Yelp 3 or 4 times . If I get an answer  I go to cluck  purr .   I set up decoys inside wood lines not fields . No takers in the early  morning I then go set up inside field edges where I have seen Tom's strut . Set up decoys  purr cluck . Yelp maybe every 15 minutes  one series of 3 or 4 yelps.  Purr cluck every 3 to 5 minutes . I do get some nice naps. That's what worked  for me . I have to be honest I haven't hunted turkeys in a couple years.

• Like 1

ordered a new box call to try (primos) and a push button.  Gonna try the push button if i think they are close for less movement. Cant use a mouth call as gagging doesnt seem to attract turkeys that much.  lol .  But gonna try that push call you mentioned Bill as a backup sitting on the ground next to me.  

• Like 2

On 3/14/2019 at 9:38 AM, moog5050 said:

Had a turkey walk right through my front lawn this morning after the kids got on the bus.  My wife thought it was quite amusing.  I might try the big bus diesel call this season.

I use a horn on a 1982 honda 50 moped.. answer it everytime!!

• Like 1

Turkey all but disappeared in my hunting area.  I almost never see them.   When they were around,  I learned how to voice call with just my mouth. I could do a seductive purr pretty good. Peliated wood pecker call worked magic for locating.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Al Bundy-- what part of NY are you from? Turkeys are gone from your area??

Central NY. They are nowhere near as plentiful as 20 or so years ago. From my hunting land yes they are gone. From the surrounding area, there are a scattered few I see on rare occasions.