turkeyfeathers

How would you rate yourself as a turkey caller ?

Not a dedicated Turkey hunter but I learned to call good enough to take a few. Years ago I raised some Merriam wild Turkeys and messing around with them is how I learned to call. They have an extensive vocabulary and a lot of it I could not duplicate with any calls I had. I got so I could sound half way decent with the basics using mouth calls and box types. The Tom below was the last of the ones I raised, I did a lot of conversing with him and what ever I said must have been bad because he hated my guts and he would try to dry gulch me at every turn if I was not watching him. Always amazed me how easy he could fly as big as he was.

132211100nYizvp_ph.jpg

• Like 4

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

I'm not sure where I rank numerically. TF said it best, the worst turkey talk you hear comes from a real turkey. I've heard hens do some crazy stuff, and cackle for 10 min straight (proving the over calling theory). So if I think I'm a bad caller, does it actually mean I'm good ? I'll take a 5 and stay safe

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Same, continuous Yelp for a solid ten minutes and sound more like a barking dog than a hen lol. One time she was ten feet in front of me I could see her tonghe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

I am at best an average caller.  But for me, proper set up is more important than calling ability.  By that I mean knowing a good location to set up and setting up in such away that when old goofy face shows up you are likely to get a good shot opportunity.  When it comes to calling a majority of times it's best to call less rather than more.  Over the last 25 years it seems to me that for whatever reason gobblers have become more cautious.

jperch

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jperch said:

I am at best an average caller.  But for me, proper set up is more important than calling ability.  By that I mean knowing a good location to set up and setting up in such away that when old goofy face shows up you are likely to get a good shot opportunity.  When it comes to calling a majority of times it's best to call less rather than more.  Over the last 25 years it seems to me that for whatever reason gobblers have become more cautious.

jperch

Bingo !!    Having hunted gobblers for close to 50 years now, I have had the opportunity to hunt birds in several areas the first couple of years when seasons have been established....Ontario, Canada...Maine...Kentucky...several locales in NY when huntable flocks were first established....In all cases, birds in areas recently opened to hunting provided lots of easy, naaive, gobblers....However, within a few seasons, these gobblers become just as tough to kill as in areas where they have been hunted many years...The toughest gobblers I have hunted have been in places where they have been hunted for many years, like Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and southwestern NY

• Like 3

I would Rate my Natural Voice Calling as a good 8. I only use 2 Calls-- the Yelp and the Whit-Whit. I form -Yelp and Whit-Whit in my Voice Box in my Neck. Those 2 Calls are my Finishers as, I Don't Like Diaphragms. I can be heard out to 75 Yards or so.  I first Learned this around age 14 while trying to mimic  the Cackle of a Rooster Pheasant. I used to Piss off Alot of Older-Stern Looking Pheasant Hunters in the Parking Lot-LOL! The Rooster Pheasant Cackle is one of my Locators up in the Day.  That Whit-Whit is my Ace in bringing in a Wary old Tom.  Quavers on a Slate will break a Gobbler from a Hang-up as well. 

Don’t need to.  I only hunt them at night with a thermal.   I just can’t seem to get them in the field even with rabbit in distress.   
And when the opportunity presents itself, will you be a hero...or a zero ???

Ill still give u a 10/10 pal

I would say right around 2003 or so--- the Gobblers in my area got super Wary .Things got Tougher after that time period.

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

And when the opportunity presents itself, will you be a hero...or a zero ???

Ill still give u a 10/10 pal

Depends.  Will the bird be 150ish - ie 280yds.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Bingo !!    Having hunted gobblers for close to 50 years now, I have had the opportunity to hunt birds in several areas the first couple of years when seasons have been established....Ontario, Canada...Maine...Kentucky...several locales in NY when huntable flocks were first established....In all cases, birds in areas recently opened to hunting provided lots of easy, naaive, gobblers....However, within a few seasons, these gobblers become just as tough to kill as in areas where they have been hunted many years...The toughest gobblers I have hunted have been in places where they have been hunted for many years, like Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and southwestern NY

Smartest/toughest birds I ever hunted were on public land, either Florida swamps or PA/NY mountains. Educated birds = smart birds.

• Like 2

I think everyone here are much better then they think ! I see conservative numbers. You would probably see all 9s and 10s across the board for this question on OLD GOBBLER AND GOBBLER NATION!  I am more of a Lurker on those 2 Sites. Anyway-- about 12 years ago in late May, I was halfway up a Mountain in Sterling Forest near a communication Tower . I had a Gobbler answering my Box Yelps and he was coming up to me. Then, I heard another (Hunter) Yelping off to the side and working in. Soon the Hunter would be between me and the slowly coming up the Mountain Gobbler. Closer to me actually. I was Pissed at first. More  Old Raspy Yelps just out of sight and now just below me. I yelled out  H-u-n-t-e-r-r-r.. Then a Really Big Hen Turkey Appeared at almost the same time While walking Towards me. She Spooked of course and no more Gobbles were heard as he was Spooked. I thought for sure that was another Hunter trying to get between me and that Tom! Her Yelping sounded awful!!   Anyway-- sometimes Hens in very Late May will answer you and come Looking for you. These are Probably Old Hens or a Hen that has Lost 1 or 2 nests to Pradators . She wants the Company of another Hen. I killed just 1 Tom this way. A Hen came Looking for me on Memorial Day Weekend. Cutting and Yelping just like you would hear in the first few days of May. I  forgot about the Gobbler, I heard and kept calling her back 3 times. Loads of Fun!! Then that Gobbler came right in and, I dropped him.

Had a turkey walk right through my front lawn this morning after the kids got on the bus.  My wife thought it was quite amusing.  I might try the big bus diesel call this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Had a turkey walk right through my front lawn this morning after the kids got on the bus.  My wife thought it was quite amusing.  I might try the big bus diesel call this season.

When I hunt near the 400 if a dump truck gate slams and I dont hear a gobble I may as well go home

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Back in the 80s and  90s I use to hunt turkeys  every chance I got.  I would say I was a solid 8 . Mouth calls  slate and glass were my go to. Never felt proficient with box calls . Worked a few pushbutton  calls  and did well with them . In early 2000 coyotes and increased  hunting pressure  changed the birds. If you called loud  birds shut up. If you got a gobbler really fired up hunters would jump in on you . Then it just seemed  gobblers were calling on the roost and shut up  when they hit the ground . I learned less is more . Work close  to roosted birds .  Try to put yourself between hen groups and gobblers before calling . I almost never cackle at birds . I will softly Yelp 3 or 4 times . If I get an answer  I go to cluck  purr .   I set up decoys inside wood lines not fields . No takers in the early  morning I then go set up inside field edges where I have seen Tom's strut . Set up decoys  purr cluck . Yelp maybe every 15 minutes  one series of 3 or 4 yelps.  Purr cluck every 3 to 5 minutes . I do get some nice naps. That's what worked  for me . I have to be honest I haven't hunted turkeys in a couple years.

• Like 1

Members here who don't think they call well- check out the Matt Dale Video, I just uploaded. His new Video from yesterday-- Myths + Lies Of Turkey Hunting. A Few below this Thread. Then Practice up on those Clucks + Purrs on a Slate. They work Great!!

I personally think everybody posting are much Better then they think .  That said-- you need well earned confidence to call Loud with Loud Yelping and Loud Cutting as a combination.  You do that combination correctly and Toms will often come Quickly.    With 6 weeks to Practice- now is the time to hit it at least 4 times a week for 5 to 10 minutes.   Keep running those Clucks and Purrs until they are Perfect. 

ordered a new box call to try (primos) and a push button.  Gonna try the push button if i think they are close for less movement. Cant use a mouth call as gagging doesnt seem to attract turkeys that much.  lol .  But gonna try that push call you mentioned Bill as a backup sitting on the ground next to me.  

• Like 2

Just now, ODYSSEUS said:

They work good Robhuntandfish. Try resting the Peg on the ground and pushing straight down.

will do - should have it Friday and will practice with both before season.  Thinking the push might be my closer if needed or if they start to hang up.  Thanks