Sign of Spring

Pygmy

I was standing at the kitchen sink doing my breakfast dishes about ten minutes ago and I looked out at my birdfeeders and saw my first grackles and redwings of the year..

They often travel in mixed flocks, sometimes with some cowbirds mixed in also...

I haven't seen any robins yet, but they are due anytime..They usually show up here in Dogpatch around mid-March..

• Like 4

I have robins all year for some reason. I actually plow some of the snow off the back yard at times so they can get to the grass and dirt while their hunting for food. One of the big signs of spring is when the female cardinal starts pecking at the side-view mirror on my truck. :rolleyes: Craziest bird on my property by a long shot.

• Like 1

We've had robins in Hamburg for a few weeks, I have a breeding pair and a nest in an arborvitae already.  A farmer friend of mine always says "when the skunks come out, winter's over".  I saw a few dead on the road about a week ago.

• Like 1

I saw my first woodchuck . Unfortunately  he was dead on the road. When do you guys think the bears will wake up? I am sure the neighbor has one living under his house  the last two years  I was thinking of put my camera near there to get his picture but I don't want it to be awake .

6 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

We've had robins in Hamburg for a few weeks, I have a breeding pair and a nest in an arborvitae already.  A farmer friend of mine always says "when the skunks come out, winter's over".  I saw a few dead on the road about a week ago.

I avoided a skunk crossing the road Sunday night. I thought the same thing. Winter is over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philoshop said:

What do robins eat during the winter? Serious question. I thought they were strictly bug/worm/grub eaters. They're not exactly built for pecking at trees or pulling apart pine-cones.

Robins are omnivorous and will eat seeds/berries etc when insects are not available....G Man is partly correct....SOME robins do not migrate, but stay in heavy evergreen cover through the winter, especially in areas where the temps are slightly higher, such as around Seneca Lake...I have seen large numbers of robins  in  dead of winter in dense evergreen cover  while hunting rabbits on the east side of Seneca, and also in hillcountry here along the Pennsyltucky border...

However, a great majority of robins DO migrate to warmer climates, where forage is much more abundant in the winter..

• Like 1