DEC announces 2018 Bear Harvest

Bigfoot 327

My nephew killed only bear in my town and was one of 11 killed in youth season across state.. I do not think he realizes what he actually accomplished.. the officer that collected tooth was impressed it was 3rd bear in 6 years  out of same spot (50 yards or so) 

25 minutes ago, G-Man said:

My nephew killed only bear in my town and was one of 11 killed in youth season across state.. I do not think he realizes what he actually accomplished.. the officer that collected tooth was impressed it was 3rd bear in 6 years  out of same spot (50 yards or so) 

That is really cool! Did he get the age?

Among the six or so guys I regularly hunt with we all put in roughly 150 hours in a deer stand each year for lets call it 30 years. 27,000 hours on stand, and we have had exactly ONE bear sighting. I saw one in Cherry Creek about ten years ago. We did have a guy bump two small bears out of the corn on his way out one evening. Bears are incredibly elusive and any NY bear is a trophy in my opinion

• Like 2

I've been bear hunting in the daks for 2 seasons now and honestly both were crap as the temps were unseasonably high. Like in the 70's... I know that factors in for the northern zone. And without being able to bait I have to guess many a bear are then killed by deer hunters. 

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I've been bear hunting in the daks for 2 seasons now and honestly both were crap as the temps were unseasonably high. Like in the 70's... I know that factors in for the northern zone. And without being able to bait I have to guess many a bear are then killed by deer hunters. 

Id be 100% on board with baiting for bears. Never happen here in a million years

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Belo said:

I rented a cabin for the last weekend of Sept in the dacks two years ago.  And it was too hot to even fish!  Lol. It was 95 that weekend and broke records. And guess what we didn't see a bear. Lol. 

38 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

one of the 48 in the NZ Muzzleloader was me...lol

And one of 6 that week in 5H. I would have expected more in 5H. Big area with good population. 

I'm in 5H, and happy to see that only one bear was killed in inlet, which is where I hunt and it was regular season, so probably a deer hunter. Makes me feel better about my lack of success. Yes there are a ton of public big woods there, but most of it is real difficult to hike and it's thick. Not a lot of browse either. Would be great if we could hunt the dumps haha.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Id be 100% on board with baiting for bears. Never happen here in a million years

i agree. anywhere where there is good bear hunting there is baiting allowed. I would guess a good amount of baiting occurs in NY anyhow, but admit i have no proof to back that up.

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

i agree. anywhere where there is good bear hunting there is baiting allowed. I would guess a good amount of baiting occurs in NY anyhow, but admit i have no proof to back that up.

I dont think baiting for bear is big in NY. It's really a matter of deer hunters seeing and shooting them. All 3 here were shot by deer hunting, and the others that have been seen are while deer hunting

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That is really cool! Did he get the age?

He hasnt told me if he got letter back, but my guess is just a 2 year old  it dressed at 165.. maybe a 3 year old by their graph.. but I would bet on 2

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Among the six or so guys I regularly hunt with we all put in roughly 150 hours in a deer stand each year for lets call it 30 years. 27,000 hours on stand, and we have had exactly ONE bear sighting. I saw one in Cherry Creek about ten years ago. We did have a guy bump two small bears out of the corn on his way out one evening. Bears are incredibly elusive and any NY bear is a trophy in my opinion

I have been hunting with a small group since 1985 or so and only 2 of us have ever seen a bear.  My buddy shot one in Onoville in 1990 or so and I was fortunate to take the first bear I have ever seen hunting this past gun season.  We've all seen tracks several times, but to actually see a bear in the wild is amazing.

• Like 1