DEC announces 2018 Bear Harvest

Bigfoot 327

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I'm in 5H, and happy to see that only one bear was killed in inlet, which is where I hunt and it was regular season, so probably a deer hunter. Makes me feel better about my lack of success. Yes there are a ton of public big woods there, but most of it is real difficult to hike and it's thick. Not a lot of browse either. Would be great if we could hunt the dumps haha.

You wouldn't want to smell or taste the ones that live in the dumps. lol

5 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Id bet on 3+, try and find out or tell him hes never allowed back lol

It was fun, turkey feathers and red  were here and heard the shot. Him mad his friend are hooked so much his friends father wmata to take his course and hunt as well. I think really think 2..but the letter will tell..

• Like 1

i've seen moose but no bear. on a couple occasions only people have seen them on the farm. same for trail cam pictures. yet one person literally shot a 250lb dressed boar from practically under my stand one year. some people in the area got made at him but most congratulated him. bear is weird. there's a season but we don't have many at all around. get up into the bigger tracts of land around here and there are more.

14 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've seen moose but no bear. on a couple occasions only people have seen them on the farm. same for trail cam pictures. yet one person literally shot a 250lb dressed boar from practically under my stand one year. some people in the area got made at him but most congratulated him. bear is weird. there's a season but we don't have many at all around. get up into the bigger tracts of land around here and there are more.

there are more, but the land is more vast. So it's kind of like a wash. Without bait they're tough. Harder to pattern than deer, dont get all horny and run around during the season and you can't call them in like you can a turkey. I guess that's kind of what makes them awesome if you're successful. 

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

there are more, but the land is more vast. So it's kind of like a wash. Without bait they're tough. Harder to pattern than deer, dont get all horny and run around during the season and you can't call them in like you can a turkey. I guess that's kind of what makes them awesome if you're successful. 

if you've patterned it or take advantage of an opportunity. most i know who took one here in NY had dumb luck they were in the right spot at the right time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Belo said:

The 2nd bear I shot on my.place I had to call in a dog for tracking. The handler asked where 1st one was taken .about 50 yards from where second was . My nephews was same spot as second. We have seen numerous bears from same 50 yard area ,usually bow season out of range and before it opened with deer I  gun they would be seen the 1st week of gun. 

Handler told me if you see a bear on a non pressured run even if bear is killed another will use same trail in future.. I believe him as it now 3 bears in 6 years from basically same spot. There is always sign there and trail cam photos from same area every year. 

• Like 1

The 2nd bear I shot on my.place I had to call in a dog for tracking. The handler asked where 1st one was taken .about 50 yards from where second was . My nephews was same spot as second. We have seen numerous bears from same 50 yard area ,usually bow season out of range and before it opened with deer I  gun they would be seen the 1st week of gun. 
Handler told me if you see a bear on a non pressured run even if bear is killed another will use same trail in future.. I believe him as it now 3 bears in 6 years from basically same spot. There is always sign there and trail cam photos from same area every year. 

Any reason you think they use that run? Cover to food source? They’re just so different from deer I can’t wrap my mind around it. Then I do research and it’s all Canada or states with baiting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always enjoy looking at the bear stats on DEC.  I live in the zone with the high concentrations of bear take of 3k.  There really are some big beasts out there.  I have seen some monsters in my travels, and a few bigger than the average(of what I typically see) here in my yard.  

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Any reason you think they use that run? Cover to food source? They’re just so different from deer I can’t wrap my mind around it. Then I do research and it’s all Canada or states with baiting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mange my habitat very heavy, your lucky to see 75 yards. That and food plots and just lucky to be in great area for game that has been written up since the 50s in old conservationist magazines. I think all play a factor into it.

I believe they are patternable but you need to have them on the property and by having all they require for all seasons, dennings, spring feed and a consistantly fall food source. I have several apple orchards that they seem to come to every fall, although They do range . The bear my nephew got was seen by a friend a few miles north of me several times in summer ( we we believe it was some bear by its size.) But it came through every 6 and 7 days north to south on 6rh and south to north on 7th.. he just happened to be there on its return trip..  

My notes always show oct 12 till Halloween as the most sighting of bears in that area split over 100 yards and 3 stands.. since 2007 when bears seem to have expanded range into my area

On 3/15/2019 at 10:29 PM, G-Man said:

I mange my habitat very heavy, your lucky to see 75 yards. That and food plots and just lucky to be in great area for game that has been written up since the 50s in old conservationist magazines. I think all play a factor into it.

I believe they are patternable but you need to have them on the property and by having all they require for all seasons, dennings, spring feed and a consistantly fall food source. I have several apple orchards that they seem to come to every fall, although They do range . The bear my nephew got was seen by a friend a few miles north of me several times in summer ( we we believe it was some bear by its size.) But it came through every 6 and 7 days north to south on 6rh and south to north on 7th.. he just happened to be there on its return trip..  

My notes always show oct 12 till Halloween as the most sighting of bears in that area split over 100 yards and 3 stands.. since 2007 when bears seem to have expanded range into my area

yeah I think that's what makes the daks difficult. And in a way, I think the same thing applies to deer. The area is super thick and vast, but the canopy is huge and there just isn't a ton of feed and obviously not really any orchards. With such a vast landscape I feel like I will just get lucky one day and that's about it. I still enjoy the early season up there as it's a good excuse to get away. But man I hope it's not 70* this year.

• Like 1