Senate votes to block Trump's national emergency

Does not matter, Trump will veto it and still get the wall.   Even though a few Republicans have defected, those that remain loyal to the President are more than enough to prevent an congressional override of that veto in both the Senate and the House.   The inevitable lawsuits also don't matter because a solid majority of the Supreme court is also on Trump's side.    The bottom line is, Trump will get the wall and there is not a darn thing the Democrats can do to stop it, with control of just 1/6 the power in DC.  

• Like 3

The 'no' votes are more about maintaining separation of powers than their feelings about border security.  Many on this forum often site loyalty to the constitution as the most important job for elected officials.  'Siding with the President' is tribal and shortsighted when it has serious long-term consequences like eroding separation of powers. 

even as a proponent of the wall and a republican, I think this is the right move. We're not a dictatorship and even if we disagree with how the dems are treating this issue, you can't just bypass our checks and balances.

Lets be honest with ourselves. He had 2 years to get this done with a house and senate majority and didn't. And lets be real honest, and let me remind you that I voted for the man. If he wasn't such a buffoon all the time with his mouth and just let his legislative actions speak for him, maybe he wouldn't have lost the house? Trends show that the president almost always loses a branch in midterms, but maybe... just maybe.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, virgil said:

I agree.  I'm all for border security.  But, I'm more concerned about the erosion of checks and balances.

I do believe he is within his right to declare it an national emergency. I do not believe any president should have the ability to manipulate the purse strings. That is the role of the House. I just can't get behind backroom money deals just like I couldn't support the last president with his "I have a phone and a pen" approach. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

even as a proponent of the wall and a republican, I think this is the right move. We're not a dictatorship and even if we disagree with how the dems are treating this issue, you can't just bypass our checks and balances.

Lets be honest with ourselves. He had 2 years to get this done with a house and senate majority and didn't. And lets be real honest, and let me remind you that I voted for the man. If he wasn't such a buffoon all the time with his mouth and just let his legislative actions speak for him, maybe he wouldn't have lost the house? Trends show that the president almost always loses a branch in midterms, but maybe... just maybe.

Well said!

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Bothers me also that he had 2 years with the majority and nothing. Checks and balances is the way to go, but if Dems gain control, I do not believe they will take the high road, and will do whatever they want. Country as we know it is on the brink. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Merlot said:

Bothers me also that he had 2 years with the majority and nothing. Checks and balances is the way to go, but if Dems gain control, I do not believe they will take the high road, and will do whatever they want. Country as we know it is on the brink. 

perhaps, but imagine if this was reversed and the dems were pushing gun control in 2020 and were going to declare a national emergency to do it. We would all be losing our shit and these senators know that. This is the long game and just as much about defense for the future. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, virgil said:

If the Republicans truly believed in the wall, they would have easily been able to get it done when they had the majority.

to be fair it was like a 2 seat majority with a few senators sick or mia. but yes you're right. The shame of course is that the dems funded this already back in the day and now it's just political.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ADK Native said:

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/senate-vote-trump-national-emergency/index.html

So our elected leaders do not think that a wall is needed to deter illegal aliens and drug transporters from entering America? 

So much for security and reducing illegal drugs entering America.

Some Republicans voted against this because the Emergency declaration could be used by a Liberal Dem President for many things as well..... Such as banning Guns.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Field_Ager said:

Rubbish. Guns are protected under the Constitution. Such a ban would be a declaration of war.

Gun owners in NYS couldn't even be bothered to get to the polls two elections in a row to vote against Cuomo and the Democratic anti-gun legislation in New York that is banning things left and right, like death by a thousand cuts. I'm pretty sure nobody is going to start slinging lead against a gun ban. Won't happen.

Which war started in the last federal ban against AR-15's?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, virgil said:

If the Republicans truly believed in the wall, they would have easily been able to get it done when they had the majority.

The problem is so many of the Rep's don't want it to really happen becasue of the big money supporting them that profit from the illegal invasion. It is big business on both sides of the isle. It was like the Republicans that kept voting against Obamacare when he was in office knowing it would be vetoed so they were safe voting against it. Once the President changed so did their "very vocal support" for reversing it. They ALL suck. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Gun owners in NYS couldn't even be bothered to get to the polls two elections in a row to vote against Cuomo and the Democratic anti-gun legislation in New York that is banning things left and right, like death by a thousand cuts. I'm pretty sure nobody is going to start slinging lead against a gun ban. Won't happen.

Which war started in the last federal ban against AR-15's?

Great reply!  I still believe if more people voted upstate Cuomo could have been dethroned.  The numbers were there but people didn't show up to vote.  The same could be said for downstate.  Plenty of people who don't like him sat it out and just gave him the victory.

Also, if one thinks that every gun owner is so concerned with the possibility of strict gun laws or bans, you'd have 60 million or more members in the NRA and other gun rights organizations.  The true membership numbers are not even close to that so obviously for most gun owners the subject of guns is not as important to them as many people think it is.  I could see civil upheaval happening in this country, but guns alone won't be the reason.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1