Liquid calcium for food plots?

Anyone have any experience using liquid calcium instead of granular lime for food plots? See https://buffalo.craigslist.org/grq/d/buffalo-food-plots-why-use-lime-when/6841256233.html I came across a couple of old threads where growalot was using it on garden plants, but that was about all I found on the forum. I think it's bogus, but the lazy part of me wants to believe. Last time I spread lime I bought over 3 pallets worth.

I don't know what fast acting lime is. Is it bagged granules? Last time I did like 3 tons over three acres. It was very labor intensive lifting the bags into the spreader. I've read about places where spreader trucks come on your property, but couldn't find any.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where your land is located. I've use McDowell & Walker in Afton. They will come to your land and spread lime as per the amounts needed. Very friendly people and reasonable cost. Making one phone call sure beats shoveling and spreading lime all weekend.

Depends on what it is. Calcium chloride has its moment in the spotlight, it increased the calcium content, but did nothing for the pH. Calcium carbonate can affect both, as a calcium fertilizer and pH adjuster... however there is no magic here. You still need product... and lots of it. It carrys the same weight/pH adjustment as lime. So if you need 1 bag of lime, you need the same 1 bag of calcium carbonate... where this is a real time saver is when you are soil conditioning while planting, such as a hydoseeder or liquid tanks on a no-til. The calcium carbonate seems to dissolve in water quicker, and seems to stay in suspension better at higher load rates, but I have run pelletized lime through my sprayer before with reasonable success... Hope this helps..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DDT said:

Not too hijack the thread but,

Anybody know where to rent a lime spreader, Steuben county?

Try Wade's rental in Addison....Don't know if they have a lime spreader, but they have lots of stuff....If you strike out there, try Wade's Farm & Home in Addison...They don't rent equipment, but are quite knowledgeable and might be able to steer you in the right direction...

When I bought lime I got it from  Cornell Bros. in Middlebury Center PA....You have to buy a truckload of 12-13 tons and they spread it with a big truck..Last time I bought it  cost me about $800 a load, but that was several years ago... Good luck...

• Thanks 1