Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I’m not sure what they didn’t like. We were trying a new strutting decoy Haley got. First time using one like that. After the birds left I took It down. 

Don't give up on that decoy just yet.  Some gobbler yelps may have closed the deal for you.  Especially if the hens were being drawn towards your setup, one or all of those gobblers may have come in to fend off the new guy.   

Just a tip/suggestion that may help you next time you have a similar situation.  

I did have a friend and his grandson here yesterday and today.  They got a nice Tom, 20#’s, 1 1/4 inch spurs, 9 1/2 inch beard.  Very nice first bird for him!  

(I have a pic but won’t post here without their permission) 

• Like 10

I did have a friend and his grandson here yesterday and today.  They got a nice Tom, 20#’s, 1 1/4 inch spurs, 9 1/2 inch beard.  Very nice first bird for him!  

That’s awesome! And good on ya’ for hosting them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Otto said:

That's fantastic.  Opening your land to a youth is outstanding. :drinks:

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 7:21 AM, ODYSSEUS said:

30th Spring for me Today in NJ. No Gobbling in my first State Park area. Gave that area a solid Hour. Used 4 calls.No Response. Now at my 2nd NJ State Park waiting for the Gates to be unlocked at 8am or before. Coffee and a Cat Nap until Park officials unlock that gate.

Keep us posted Bill.

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

Do you guys that shoot red dot type scopes find that your head has to be way up to see through it? I just mounted one and its so high that my shooting form needs to be terrible in order to see through it

Is it a tactical red dot or more like a fastfire?  The smaller fastfire or venom are pretty low with a simple rail installed.

43 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Do you guys that shoot red dot type scopes find that your head has to be way up to see through it? I just mounted one and its so high that my shooting form needs to be terrible in order to see through it

I did, but my mossberg came with a cheek piece that was replaceable with one that was much higher. Before I did that I had to rasie my cheek off the stock a bit and sort of rest my chin on the stock instead. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Burris speed bead (fast fire mounted between receiver and buttstock). if it dies i can still see through it and use the stock bead at the end of the barrel.

• Like 1

No idea tacks.  is the vent rib higher than the receiver.  Mine has a rail on the receiver (drilled and tapped receiver to install) and works well.  Or maybe you can relocate your eyes a bit higher.  I know a Guatemalan plastic surgeon that can do it for you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Burris speed bead (fast fire mounted between receiver and buttstock). if it dies i can still see through it and use the stock bead at the end of the barrel.

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Now that is pretty cool