Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

i'm not sure if this mornings flurry of pics has me excited for tomorrow or depressed as I always figure out how to screw it up lol. Congrats to all who braved the weather even if you didn't have success. I'm sure the knocking the rust off and getting some woods therapy was still worth it.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WWJD_Hunter said:

This morning I chose to hunt public land instead of private land where I saw two hens last evening. I was able to drop this jake nothing big , but the hunt was fun.  With the conditions this morning I wasn’t going to give him a pass. I am always grateful to Jesus for allowing me enjoy his outdoors. 

25CB173E-EC3D-4CBD-9478-65D05099338F.jpeg

Good Job!

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Quick hunt. 3 gobbles on roost. They flew down   I cut the distance from 250 yards to about 150 using ridge as cover.  1 purr and cut me off. 2 hens got behind me at 10 yards. This gobbler was on a string as I purred one more time. He and another was behind him a bit.  Saw him at about 30 yards but too thick. Oh crap he’s going to walk on my feet if he gets any closer. Full on search mode even with two ladies right in front of him.  Shot him at 8 yards. Love me this fastfire 3. Hole in neck size of quarter. Bang no flop on this one.  View from gobbler lounger , hat where I shot him.

41CD976E-C532-44F6-8321-F80A0D52E8C4.png

601B4BD1-BD6A-4C95-B322-EB0A8E7FD382.png

Strong offering SIR!

I worked for this guy.  First ever opening day bird.  Got in my spot before light and as it got light gobbles on each side but 1/2 mile away each.  Gunshot at 6.  But not a gobbler near me.  It started raining so I was gonna call it.  Get up and pickup dekes and see movement in the woods....damn is it a turkey... Nope it's 2 racoons.  No wonder no action .  So now it's raining hard.  I walk out to road across and the road in one of the fields is a bird. 

What the hell already soaked let's make a play. I sneak around the back side to fenceline.  Stop and call....I look and he is now in the next field over.  200 yards away.  He starts my way then I can't see him.  Wait 20 min and nothing.  So I walk back out towards truck

In the big green field behind where I park at 400 yards is a strutter and he is gobbling. Gotta be him.  So again what the hell.  I go and sneak into woods.  Have to cross a creek and a mud ditch which I fall on and am covered in mud  and soaked.  Then get up over gully and it's a 40 yard belly crawl to the edge of the field.  So I drop my pack and take the gun and a call

I get there and there is a hen on my left in the field at 80 yards.  I am peaking over the field edge at the hen and can't see where gobbler was cause there is a little rise.  He has to be in the field.  

I call a couple times and nothing.  Hen paces back and forth by wood edge and goes into woods and I can't see her. All of sudden a head comes up over the rise in the field.  Strutter all fanned out.  Walks right to me and I take him at about 8 yards.  

Not a huge beard or Spurs.  About a 4 in beard (which wasn't much left of it after shot.), 1/2 in Spurs, weighed 18 pounds though. Dunno if that is considered a Jake or not but I am a happy hunter. Haven't tagged a bird in two years.  

Oh and I fell again on the way out down the mud gully....what a mess. But a successful day. 

IMG_20190501_081253696.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 22

15 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I worked for this guy.  First ever opening day bird.  Got in my spot before light and as it got light gobbles on each side but 1/2 mile away each.  Gunshot at 6.  But not a gobbler near me.  It started raining so I was gonna call it.  Get up and pickup dekes and see movement in the woods....damn is it a turkey... Nope it's 2 racoons.  No wonder no action .  So now it's raining hard.  I walk out to road across and the road in one of the fields is a bird. 

What the hell already soaked let's make a play. I sneak around the back side to fenceline.  Stop and call....I look and he is now in the next field over.  200 yards away.  He starts my way then I can't see him.  Wait 20 min and nothing.  So I walk back out towards truck

In the big green field behind where I park at 400 yards is a strutter and he is gobbling. Gotta be him.  So again what the hell.  I go and sneak into woods.  Have to cross a creek and a mud ditch which I fall on and am covered in mud  and soaked.  Then get up over gully and it's a 40 yard belly crawl to the edge of the field.  So I drop my pack and take the gun and a call

I get there and there is a hen on my left in the field at 80 yards.  I am peaking over the field edge at the hen and can't see where gobbler was cause there is a little rise.  He has to be in the field.  

I call a couple times and nothing.  Hen paces back and forth by wood edge and goes into woods and I can't see her. All of sudden a head comes up over the rise in the field.  Strutter all fanned out.  Walks right to me and I take him at about 8 yards.  

Not a huge beard or Spurs.  About a 4 in beard (which wasn't much left of it after shot.), 1/2 in Spurs, weighed 18 pounds though. Dunno if that is considered a Jake or not but I am a happy hunter. Haven't tagged a bird in two years.  

Oh and I fell again on the way out down the mud gully....what a mess. But a successful day. 

IMG_20190501_081253696.jpg

Belly crawl, 40 yds soaked and muddy in the rain. That $hit is HARDCORE!

• Like 4

Smidge over 20 pounds / just under 10” beard / 1 3/16th “inch spurs. Sorta disappointed how fast it happened. Never got a good show He simply wanted to die this morning. On hot pursuit of those quiet hens and liked me talking I guess Breasted him out. Always manage to shoot one on garbage day. As he just woke up the crop was empty.
Congrats to all who tipped one over today. Out of likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Congrats to everyone who scored today. Rained all morning not one gobble had three hens come in. Tried three different areas with no luck. My new vest and rain jacket where a great addition only down side was no where to put my coffee Thermos,but I’ll figure something out. Come on tomorrow!!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Smidge over 20 pounds / just under 10” beard / 1 3/16th “inch spurs. Sorta disappointed how fast it happened. Never got a good show He simply wanted to die this morning. On hot pursuit of those quiet hens and liked me talking I guess Breasted him out. Always manage to shoot one on garbage day. As he just woke up the crop was empty.
Congrats to all who tipped one over today. Out of likes.

Nice bird Jay! Congrats.  Quick morn but you got more to come too. 

5 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I heard Plenty of Gobbling Today!! Makes up for the 6 mornings in NJ and just 1 Gobble. Heard my last Gobble around 9.30am. They Love those Fields.  Pic of Parking lot-- 11 Vehicles!

20190501_103047.jpg

Is that your shotgun leaning up against that car?  I bet if a DEC officer came by he'd go right for it and want to make sure it was unloaded.  In a public spot like that, I'd put it inside the trunk and out of sight if I wasn't carrying it.  The fewer reasons you give a DEC officer or any officer to ask you questions or give you $#!+, the better in my opinion.

• Like 1

I heard Plenty of Gobbling Today!! Makes up for the 6 mornings in NJ and just 1 Gobble. Heard my last Gobble around 9.30am. They Love those Fields.  Pic of Parking lot-- 11 Vehicles!
20190501_103047.thumb.jpg.1556c56e5ff2b154b75e554ec4428e89.jpg
Is that a camper someone stayed in last night?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, PREDATE said:

Thanks!
It's a Remington Mod. 11.
It was made in 1939.
My grandfather left it to me.
2 3/4" shells and full choke gets the deed done!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

LOVE the Model 11s. I collect Broening A5’s but own several Midel 11s. My grandfather bought his in 1937 for $85. My 90 yr old Uncle uses it to date. His first and only shotgun. I believe yours is a 11A...safety in front of the trigger. One of Mine has a 32 inch solid rib full choke barrel. Its a tank!!

• Like 1

@turkeyfeathers shamed me into going back into the woods at 10:30, I heard a bird gobble a couple times so I setup and worked him for well over an hour. He gobbled, came in but I decided it was too far, he walked away hammering to every call I made but wouldnt turn around. A jake comes in silent and that seemed to bring the tom back. He came in to 15 yards and went to full strut and...MISFIRE! By some miracle I cycled that shell out, put it back in and promptly missed him lol. It was one of the best hunts I've ever had but no bird

• Like 23

2 hours ago, Belo said:

i'm not sure if this mornings flurry of pics has me excited for tomorrow or depressed as I always figure out how to screw it up lol. Congrats to all who braved the weather even if you didn't have success. I'm sure the knocking the rust off and getting some woods therapy was still worth it.

It turned out to be a gorgeous morning, at least west in Dunkirk where I was first and then here in Clarence

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

20190501_103047.jpg

omg whoever has their gun leaning against their car is asking for trouble, so easy for it to slide 

Edited by Belo

Heading down for a nap, but had a bird come in silent mode, hung up at 70 yards.  Very nervous, didn't fan much and was peering at me the whole time.  Took a poke at him, didn't even ruffle his feathers. Had another gobbler come in, peeked his head over the hill at the deek, skedaddled back into the woods and wouldn't come out.  Gobbling like a maniac, tried creeping on him and got busted.  Entertaining morning!

7 hours ago, FLXmatt said:

A half dozen deer winded me and snorted 20+ times.  So much for keeping a low profile!

Had a bird on rope last year. Suddenly he gets spooky and two deer almost run him over. I had him in scope between one deers legs at 20 yards lol. Waited til deer clear but they almost botched it 

4 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

20190501_103047.jpg

Stewart Forrest Parking meter reader needs to wake up 

Very little gobbling today in Dogpatch....Passed up a jake, had 2 or 3 hens come in...Busted 3 longbeards that were coming in silent....Set up and called, heard nothing...Got up and walked about ten yards and there they were..

Tomorrow is another day...

• Like 3