Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

28 minutes ago, kpkot said:

Found this in a field today. I am assuming something ate it. early lay ?

20190501_095607.jpg

Birds are about done laying some maybe sitting already, an uncovered nest is being sat on a covered is still laying.. wet weather is so bad for nesting as scent stays and many critters will go after nest or hen itself...most likely a busted early nest. Hen should renest again.. surprisingly it may not even have to mate again as hens can store sperm incase of events like this.

• Like 2

Met my step goal on the Fitbit today by noon. Not a gobble to be heard, again proving my hypothesis that turkeys in Putnam county have developed the ability to read the hunting regulations.

Saw herds of deer which was promising, a few with little ones from last year in tow. Looks like the winter was an easy one. Fall should be promising.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Congrats to all the successful hunters today. :drinks:.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to prepare a empty shotgun shell. Lol.

Good luck to those going out tomorrow morning. Alarm is set, but I've got serious doubt I'll get up. 

We had a great morning two birds gobbling , they flew down and a bunch of hens appeared out of nowhere. Gobbler went into full strut about 70 in front of me and the Jake was in range. Then they all got together and walked the opposite way of course. No way to get around them so I backed out. I don’t think I was going to have much luck with all those hens around anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Great morning in Ontario county .  I had birds talking this morning, one Tom at came 30 yards and my gun misfire.The Tom saw movement and left in a hurry.     20 minutes later had another Tom give me a shot at 20 yards and I miss him. I guess that is part the game sometimes you win some and other you lose some. 

030DF0C5-7E69-44B0-9845-BD295D857E0D.jpeg

• Like 2

Had a great morning. First set up I got a gobble right off. He was on the other side of a steam. We played back and forth for about an half hour. Then figured I’d go to him I couldn’t see him but he was right in front of me gobbling away. I slipped out to check my map and see if I could get over to him no way,so I left. Driving to a new spot I saw two hens crossing the road, so I parked and headed in nothing. I desperation I ripped out on my aluminum call boom got a gobble way out the started heading towards it. Hit the call boom now there was a few birds gobbling. I cut the distance and waited. They keeper gobbling so I slipped closer,then they stopped so I figured there gone nope. Walking out a I bumped them six jakes. I took a shot I should’ve and blew it. Fun morning ether way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3B4CDE99-A492-47DE-9E13-205A2E7A5B26.jpeg

Edited by rachunter
Add photo
  • Like 2

Live from my tailgate.  Just getting around to posting pics.  Tough morning in central VT.  The cold weather had the birds flocked up.  Shadowed a flock of 17 birds until almost 10am.  The hens made a dash to cross the dirt road and left 3 satellite toms behind.  I managed to pull in the biggest with some soft clucking, yelping and leaf scratching.  

20.9lbs.  9" beards.  One spur was pretty much 1.5".  I was happy to get in done in difficult conditions.

tom19 (4).JPG

tom19 (3).JPG

tom19 (1).JPG

tom19 (2).JPG

• Like 22