Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

I never heard a gobble...Had two hens come in....I have other places to hunt but I KNOW the toms are around..I figure with all the hen action I'm having the toms will show up sooner or later..

• Like 2

I took a jake at 6:09 am. Not many days open to me in May for more turkey hunting, so I planned to harvest one at my first opportunity. 36139ead71ec198813355e43527eb1b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 14

Ever smoked one before? Inject as much juice and flavors as you want into meat before smoking because they get dry quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second that. I forgot to do that on a bird I got a few years back. I think my kids are still chewing the drumstick.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Belo , great bird ! He’s probably 4-5+ years old. Count the rings when you carve him.  

Suggestions before smoking : rub a bunch of mayo all over him ( you’ll never taste the mayo ) it’s just adding fat / juices. And or toothpick bacon all around him.  

• Like 2

Good plucking job!!  I rather skin 10 deer than pluck one turkey.

Ya know this was my first attempt and it wasn’t that bad. Boiled some water, through it in a cooler and shook it around for a minute and it all just stripped off nicely.

Fn messy though haha

• Like 1

Belo , great bird ! He’s probably 4-5+ years old. Count the rings when you carve him.  
Suggestions before smoking : rub a bunch of mayo all over him ( you’ll never taste the mayo ) it’s just adding fat / juices. And or toothpick bacon all around him.  

Appreciate the advice. What do you mean by rings though?

Just did a domestic, but never wild. Significantly different?

Way different! I’ve never had a smoked wild turkey I liked but the ones that are better than others have a ton of seasoning injected in them. In my opinion wild turkeys just don’t have enough fat to be smoked but give it a whirl and see what you think.

• Like 2

Opening day I had to work all night. I came home went to bed and got up at 11. I went to my spot and walked in there was a whole flock of birds there. I picked a nice tom of about 20lbs and was back home in bed by 1205.

I'm going to go to the same spot on the 15th and should come back home with another bird.

Way different! I’ve never had a smoked wild turkey I liked but the ones that are better than others have a ton of seasoning injected in them. In my opinion wild turkeys just don’t have enough fat to be smoked but give it a whirl and see what you think.

Yeah my fear would be ruining it... to me there is nothing worse than killing an animal having it go to waste.

I think I’ll try the bacon wrapped turkey maybe

I'd breast it, slice up and coat with flour salt and pepper and fry. The legs I'd put by the door to beat a possible intruder with!

But realistically you should brine it for days.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 2

I'd breast it, slice up and coat with flour salt and pepper and fry. The legs I'd put by the door to beat a possible intruder with!

But realistically you should brine it for days.

Haha. I feel after the plucking I need to give it a shot to see how it goes. I suppose I could roast it too...

4 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I lost another Duel today with a Stubborn Gobbler. Tried another spot a few miles away. The same area that, I have hunted since 1974.  No more then 50 yards in, I turn around and another Turkey Hunter is behind me. Probably one of the homeowners who live right there. 0 for 8 so far..

How do you walk 50 yards in to the woods and not know someone is going in behind you? 

• Like 1

I take all the leg and thigh dark meat and put it in Crock-Pot for pulled turkey sandwiches and that comes out great. Gonna try smoking a breast wrapped in bacon and use a mix of TFs tip to use mayo and will mix in some nunda smoky Maple mustard.  Gonna slice it thin after for sandwiches and see how that turns out. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Otto said:

I took a jake at 6:09 am. Not many days open to me in May for more turkey hunting, so I planned to harvest one at my first opportunity. 36139ead71ec198813355e43527eb1b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No flies on a jake Otto.  Good for you!

• Like 1