Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

4 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

No more then 50 yards in, I turn around and another Turkey Hunter is behind me. Probably one of the homeowners who live right there. 0 for 8 so far..

Public land I assume?

Get up earlier...........OR, sleep out there in a bivy.

Been raining steady in Seneca County since 5am. Got the blind up and decoys out in the field. Not feeling very optimistic, but it's my Friday off anyways. Nothing better to do and have a thermos of coffee to help pass the time...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Had a classic hunt. 

My but no sooner hit the ground at 5:02, and the gobbling started. Two were about 400 yrds away and on the neighbors. Not a fan of hunting close to borders, but I snuck to within 30 yrs of the posted signs. Toms were probably 250 yrds out. One would barely catch his breath before gobbling again. Must have gobbled 100 times.  Used a pot and a month call to give some soft tree yelps.  5:25 he hit the ground.  He gobbled the entire way in.  Ay 50 yrds he put on a show, spitting and drumming, and triple gobbling.  I hadn't made a single call since he was coming in willingly.  He slowly closed the distance while doing his dance and gobbling constantly. 

At 25 yrds, I putted to get him to break strut, and down he went. 

Shot at 5:38.   23#, 1 1/8 hooks, 11" beard. 

IMG_20190503_064808982.jpg

IMG_20190503_065222577.jpg

IMG_20190503_065254360.jpg

• Like 29

7 minutes ago, mowin said:

Had a classic hunt. 

My but no sooner hit the ground at 5:02, and the gobbling started. Two were about 400 yrds away and on the neighbors. Not a fan of hunting close to borders, but I snuck to within 30 yrs of the posted signs. Toms were probably 250 yrds out. One would barely catch his breath before gobbling again. Must have gobbled 100 times.  Used a pot and a month call to give some soft tree yelps.  5:25 he hit the ground.  He gobbled the entire way in.  Ay 50 yrds he put on a show, spitting and drumming, and triple gobbling.  I hadn't made a single call since he was coming in willingly.  He slowly closed the distance while doing his dance and gobbling constantly. 

Nice bird!!!congrats

• Like 1

Out at 445 in 3G. No vocalizations from the roosts. Setup in a little clearing on a hilltop that showed sign. 630 gobble responded to a few of my yelps. Over the next hour he slowly works his way almost 270 degrees around my position. I never see him, but can hear him gobble and work through leaf litter. I wanted to move as I realized where he was working towards. But he let out a closer gobble when I readied to move and I stayed put.

Finally see him bobbing his head through some brush almost dead behind me. He didn't like something he saw, gave the alarm and turned tail. Tried a couple soft calls to get him to come back, but no luck. I should have moved.

Bummer that I blew the opportunity, but at least I have progressed in calling beyond saying "run away I am a hunter" in turkey. Congrats to those that have connected and good luck to all those out there. Weather looks awful for the next week or so. Not sure when I will be out again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Had a classic hunt. 

Way to go mowin!!!  Congratulations!!  

Great gobbler. Great story, pictures, and hunt too!

• Like 1

Heading to Lake George for a firm retreat this weekend.  Guessing I will see a ton of birds on the ride up and back.  Perhaps it will inspire me to actually get out next weekend.  Congrats to all you bird killers and those that will get it done shortly!

Heading to Lake George for a firm retreat this weekend.  Guessing I will see a ton of birds on the ride up and back.  Perhaps it will inspire me to actually get out next weekend.  Congrats to all you bird killers and those that will get it done shortly!

Bring your gear big fella you can hunt with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Just now, Buckmaster7600 said:

Bring your gear big fella you can hunt with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have done that and got out with you Sunday.  But I am willing to take the ride again if you want company.  Did you say that your wife works in Lake George?  Sagamore?  That's where we are staying.

What loads is everyone running? Last I used was dead coyote, but ran out and need to hopefully find something for this weekend locally

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I run rem nitro turkey with six shot its the best I have found to shoot out of the 870 sure shot sythentic

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1