Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Calling it. Gobblers I had roosted flew down and headed over the ridge opposite my direction on private. Heard one shot in distance.

Slow walk back to the house to see if I can locate a roaming tom and then off to the stadium. Paxton sounds like he will hit DL today. Joy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bumped a Jake on the way out.  A big Tom in the field across the Rd that I don't have permission for, but maybe next time he will be on this side. 

But.....best of all my Buddy Ed dropped one.  He tags one or two every year.  He's a stone cold turkey killer and is retired and relentless!  

839.jpeg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 14

Nothing for us.  Really thick fog dont know if that kept them quite.  Kiddo was cold by 8 so we headed out and got some food.  Stopped at parents to see if they heard gobbling in stateland next to them(same one we were in but 1/2 mile away from where we were hunting)  brother said they were going nuts from 530-7. So im going to try there in am before my daughters hunting course.

• Like 1

Sorry for the late post, today is the first chance I get on a computer. 

I called this 1 in on Wednesday morning, took a good friend for his first turkey hunt. 8.5" beard, 7/8" Spurs. He was alone, came in strutting and gobbling. Almost too easy.

The next morning I called in a gobbler with 3 hens, got him to check out my decoys, 35 yds I knocked him down only to watch him get up and run off! I think my shot was low and because I was shooting up hill and he was over a slight crown, I think I shot through the tall grass? This scope/ no scope  decision is going to drive me nuts! Yesterday heard 1 gobble at first light and nothing until around 10 am. Only gave me courtesy gobbles. Great 3 days even though the weather man called for rain, most if the rain came over night or after noon near Little Valley. Taking today off to recharge, going out tomorrow in 9f.

IMG_20190501_071017230.jpg

• Like 13

48 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

This morning, I walked in at 4.20am. I walked out at my 3rd area around 11.15am.  I managed to sit in the Pre-Dawn-- for 30 minutes on a ridge. I had a Tom 80 yards out Gobbling . Another was 100 yards to my East. Still another was a 1/4 mile away. Raspy Boss Hen flew out 30 yards behind me to the North. I hit some Clucks on my Yelper. The Tom Flew out and landed 60- 65 yards away. Too far for a Shot. I use Longbeard XR. Not comfortable with such a Long shot though. He walked to the Boss Hen. 2nd area was a 1 1/2 mile hike. No Gobbling here. And the 3rd area- also on public land was just 40 minutes. 0 for 10 days now.. Watch  Matt Dale's Video, I uploaded yesterday in the Turkey Forum--- What's Going On Right Now Out There? Matt is having a hard time like me in getting the Trigger pulled. Walked around 7 miles today. 

Getting closer , at least you had some action. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had at least 3 gobblers that were very vocal this morning. They gobbled ~500 times between 5:30-7:30, then either stopped or were out of ear shot. I packed up at 9:45 and thought I would move the blind to a spot ~400 yards away, to where I plan on hunting tomorrow, to save me from lugging it in and putting it up in the morning. I finished putting it up and brushing it in and looked at my phone, it was 10:45. I thought I would throw out a few yelps and had 2 gobblers respond, both ~200 yards away in different directions. I jumped in the blind and hoped for the best. They gobbled several times, but didn't sound like they were getting any closer. I packed up at 11:55 and headed in. Hopefully tomorrow will end in my favor...

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 4

Was up at 7 and it was super foggy east of Rochester. Felt bad for you guys, but tomorrow looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not for me...bummer was hoping to do some good work. Though I did read they like to go to fields in the rain so may just set up my blind and give it a shot for the hell of it. Hopefully my 870 doesn't turn to rust dust after the rain though121863390696fcf055f27f0289f14f76.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk