Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

I might get up tomorrow and go for my first time out this year. Both kids want to go, I’m going to try and spot one tonight but don’t expect to see any tonight being it’s the first weekend and I know they have been hunted or bothered. 

That leaves the place that’s an hour away. 

3 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

How do you guys get so good at telling how far are birds are from the roost? Ive come to the conclusion im not a very good turkey hunter lol. 

I had bird I thought was 250 yards out other morning. Then gobbled again on ground and now facing me. A lot closer than I thought  oh crap, he’s soon at 40 yards. A fun surprise that I think I muttered oh crap 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I had bird I thought was 250 yards out other morning. Then gobbled again on ground and now facing me. A lot closer than I thought  oh crap, he’s soon at 40 yards. A fun surprise that I think I muttered oh crap 

Not a bad problem to have. I usually have them closeish, but not being able to call them in. Is it possible for a pot call to be worn out? I used to be able to strike birds up with my pot call, but the last couple years theyve been ignoring it. 

1 minute ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Not a bad problem to have. I usually have them closeish, but not being able to call them in. Is it possible for a pot call to be worn out? I used to be able to strike birds up with my pot call, but the last couple years theyve been ignoring it. 

You condition it with a scotch brite pad ? Back and forth , not circles . Find the sweet spot and mark it    You want striker to skip across condtioned lines with stutter steps.  My primos jackpot slate has aided if not killed every bird. Can’t wear em out. Slate sucks moisture and humidity.  Even foggy humid days pot call needs to be repetitively conditioned.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You condition it with a scotch brite pad ? Back and forth , not circles . Find the sweet spot and mark it    You want striker to skip across condtioned lines with stutter steps.  My primos jackpot slate has aided if not killed every bird. Can’t wear em out. Slate sucks moisture and humidity.  Even foggy humid days pot call needs to be repetitively conditioned.  

Im using a crystal call so I use sandpaper. Primos crystal call if im correct. I was thinking about picking up a slate call though

8 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Im using a crystal call so I use sandpaper. Primos crystal call if im correct. I was thinking about picking up a slate call though

Side to side conditioning not circles ? 

Sweet spot usually just outside edges  in my experience 

22 minutes ago, zag said:

Gonna give it a go in the am. First of only a few changes for me. Good luck in the am boys

I had a bird going real hot next to your dad's property opening day on my buddies.  He headed YOUR way with his hens, pronto after he heard me.  :(

Kill 'em tomorrow.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I had a bird going real hot next to your dad's property opening day on my buddies.  He headed YOUR way with his hens, pronto after he heard me.  :(

Kill 'em tomorrow.

Awesome!! Yeah they usually roost towards the back line. Hopefully it's a quick hunt in the morn, but there has been many of times it's been a ghost town for hearing birds. Have lawn duty and another baseball game so I won't have a ton of time.

2 minutes ago, zag said:

Awesome!! Yeah they usually roost towards the back line. Hopefully it's a quick hunt in the morn, but there has been many of times it's been a ghost town for hearing birds. Have lawn duty and another baseball game so I won't have a ton of time.

South side of H Rd..........(cryptic enough?)

:)