Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

39 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Raining a bit here, but should end shortly. Probably just long enough to get me soaked for the walk out. Don’t feel like messing with the rain gear.:hunter-smiley-face:

Raining here too.  I have a camo umbrella that I use to walk in.  Easier than messing with rain gear.  Also makes a nice ground blind in a pinch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Congrats Zag!

Thanks sj, started out great, I got up late, quarter of the drive down I remembered I forgot my camo jacket grrrr but there was no turning back. Parked the truck and of course being late they were already gobbling on the roost. Busted some deer as I approached my spot sat down made a couple calls and nothing. Few minutes later they all tee off in the distance, sounded like they were heading away from me. Made a few calls no response. Minutes later they respond closer, then they showed up (5) flanking my left side. They bunch up about 30yrds out and two broke away heading away. The other three turn and start coming in front of me strutting and gobbling but there all bunched up and would have shot all three if I attempted a shot. Finally they walk behind a two trunk red oak, I adjust and once the lead bird popped out I hit the trigger. With the limited time I'm tickled as hell!!

• Like 7

I went out for an hour in 9f.  Heard a few distant gobbles, just after sunrise, and a single shot that sounded about a mile away.   It was a nice morning and I picked out a good spot for a late spring / early summer planting of field corn.   There is way too much standing water in the fields to even think about plowing yet.  As long as I can get it planted by the Fourth of July, it should do ok.   

Its possible i heard more gobbles today than in the last ten years combined, two birds just hammering back and forth for an hour and forty five minutes. The fog kept them in the trees until after 7. They worked their way to a gas line and strutted before a real hen came in, and I also had a deer blowing over my left shoulder. I finally decided to move on them every time they got behind a big maple, didnt work lol. They werent spooked too badly but they moved off with the hen so I backed out

• Like 2

On the ride home sure as heck I am looking into a cut corn field across from a dairy farm and I see a huge Tom in full strut.....get out and my binos to glass....and sure as heck he is courting a hen. What a cool experience

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Still out, hoping to take one with the bow. Had about 8 gobbling within ~200 yards of me at daylight. At 7:20, a group of 6 of what looked to be jakes, came out ~75 yards. They looked over my decoys and went back the way they came. I can't imagine they were intimidated by my strutting jake decoy. This isn't the first time this has happened, so I took it down as a precaution after they left today. Guess I'll just depend on the hen decoys to bring them in from now on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got Soaked! Had my rainsuit of course but my Legs got drenched. I quit early at 8am. 0 for 11
Sorry to hear that, but happy you validated my decision to stay in bed this am and catch up on sleep.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1