Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Long week at work and slept through the 430 alarm. Out by seven and hearing nothing but beats work. Here till 10 or so when my boys are done with NYSMMA solos, then out to mother's day chores. Good luck all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Well, I got my neighbors rooster riled up. Does that count for anything?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got my Jake to my left and two feeding hens in front along with a relaxed hen around 1o clock. Gonna give it a few more hours then home to finally take a dump and Maybe a brief napdf50720fa2270d8145bbdbb705bcae0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Today I get in early and setup where he's been heading after fly down, he lands on the power lines and goes into the woods on the other side. Strutting and gobbling for an hour. At 7 he walks away gobbling. I tried to get around and ahead of him but never heard him again. I did have three wood ducks jumping from tree to tree over me that was pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

Today I get in early and setup where he's been heading after fly down, he lands on the power lines and goes into the woods on the other side. Strutting and gobbling for an hour. At 7 he walks away gobbling. I tried to get around and ahead of him but never heard him again. I did have three wood ducks jumping from tree to tree over me that was pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Haven't heard a single peep over here. Hopefully mid morning improves as the internet claims it does

• Like 3

Never heard a thing until 6:30, then heard 3 gobblers in 3 different directions within 150 yards. They responded to my calls, and gobbled several times, but none showed up. Haven't heard a peep since 7:15...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cool hunt, but no bird. Set up on the inside corner of a field, two hen dekes out. Had a bird gobbling on the roost behind me about 5:10. About 5:20 he’s down and coming closer behind me gobbling over and over.  Then he’s off to my left and inside the woods about 50 yds. I can see movement, but no clean look at the bird. He continues to move away inside the woods toward the cut corn field 300 yds away. Heard him gobbling up there til almost 6:00.

Then 50 yds behind me I hear a couple of clucks and a boomer gobble that startled me. They moved in the same direction as the first bird, but stepped out in the field about 120 yds away. 4 hens, and then the tom. Gave a couple of clucks and the hens all looked over. The tom gobbles twice and I can see his swinging beard. Big bird. They all moved away along my field edge to the corn field. Couldn’t get either tom interested. Saw them on the horizon 500 yds away in the corn stubble on my way out at 7:30.

I must have heard 50-60 gobbles between those two, but not a gobble after 6:10. Had things to do today, so it was a short sit, but I’ll be inside the woods 50 yds off that field tomorrow morning.

Oh yeah, heard what sounded like a freaking roar from 100 or so yds in the woods when I was setting my dekes. Never heard that before, and I imagine it was a bobcat. Made the hair on my neck stand up! Short sit, but a cool sit this morning.

D6F8085E-1C62-488C-9B33-1C0AB0FC005F.jpeg

• Like 10

Just had a big light brown spider crawling on my arm inside my fleece. Needless to say I may not have to take that dump anymore. Hopefully that means turkeys will come soon. Hopefully this wind isn't going to skunk me out today

• Like 1

In my vocabulary, passing up means you had  the chance to take  a good shot and chose not to, for whatever reason...
What Bill did, was  chose not to take a marginal shot, which is to his credit...

Don’t disagree one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Never made it out. Last week our school district had a student pass away and daughter&wife new her. So we let her sleep in today since she had a rough time at the funeral yesterday.  But we are shooting to hunt all next weekend.  Cant tomorrow since its motherday and i have breakfast duty.   Good luck to all going out this weekend and a happy mothers day to all the moms on here.

Jerkman-- this is funny and no disrespect- but, I learned the (Tree Squat) along with countless others if, I can't make it out in time! A tree without poison ivy is preferred.  Then to Dollar General to buy more Brown Jersey gloves- LOL.

A must have in every hunters pack
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Campers-Toilet-Paper-Rolls/dp/B000JFTDPE

So you have a response at about 9 o'clock a decent distance away, 100 plus yards, he gobbles three times, closer each time. Then hes completely silent. I never laid eyes on him as we were in hardwoods. What do you do? Keep calling or be quiet. Help a rookie out lol 

22 minutes ago, BigVal said:

So you have a response at about 9 o'clock a decent distance away, 100 plus yards, he gobbles three times, closer each time. Then hes completely silent. I never laid eyes on him as we were in hardwoods. What do you do? Keep calling or be quiet. Help a rookie out lol 

if he was getting closer he cut the distance NOW you as a hen are supposed to go to him. We are reversing nature by trying to call him ALL the way in.  Go silent/he'll continue to come in/scratch leaves in behind you to sound as hen feeding with a soft purr around the side of your leg mixed in

• Like 5

A must have in every hunters pack

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Campers-Toilet-Paper-Rolls/dp/B000JFTDPE

I can’t step in the woods without having to crap, never go anyway without a small baggie of baby wipes. There’s some in both boats some in the truck and in a pocket of every pair of hunting pants I own.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Water Rat said:

Just tagged out. I was just getting ready to leave when 2 gobblers snuck in. I shot the first one who gave me the best shot. 

I'm scheduled for another knee replacement surgery in a few weeks. To be able to hobble around the woods this year and shoot 2 nice gobblers was one of the most gratifying spring turkey seasons I've had. The tale of the tape from this morning : 19 pounds , 91/2" beard and 1" spurs.

IMG_2750.thumb.JPG.164340dc8b600bd4d2b41b7814830807.JPG

• Like 24

I can’t step in the woods without having to crap, never go anyway without a small baggie of baby wipes. There’s some in both boats some in the truck and in a pocket of every pair of hunting pants I own.

I’m usually good with deer, but with turkey I too am a guarantee. I think I drink more coffee and I KNOW it’s because I’m up and moving more. Which is good, because pooping out of a stand is an art

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I’m usually good with deer, but with turkey I too am a guarantee. I think I drink more coffee and I KNOW it’s because I’m up and moving more. Which is good, because pooping out of a stand is an art emoji23.png

The climbing harness infringes things for sure 

• Like 1