Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

I checked my other turkey spot, omg there were a few absolute studs strutting around tonight. Im taking this Thursday off and my son's playing hooky from school so we can go to a 11am red wings game so I think I'll take him with me that morning and see if we can nail one of those birds.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

if he was getting closer he cut the distance NOW you as a hen are supposed to go to him. We are reversing nature by trying to call him ALL the way in.  Go silent/he'll continue to come in/scratch leaves in behind you to sound as hen feeding with a soft purr around the side of your leg mixed in

Awesome thanks Jay I can use the help lol

• Like 2

Taking my grandnephew and his buddy out tomorrow.  

His buddy has never hunted. 

I'm super excited to get him hooked.  I'm praying for a classic hunt.  

Nothing better than getting a youth that has no avenue into hunting hooked.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mowin said:

Taking my grandnephew and his buddy out tomorrow.  

His buddy has never hunted. 

I'm super excited to get him hooked.  I'm praying for a classic hunt.  

Nothing better than getting a youth that has no avenue into hunting hooked.  

Hats off to you for giving it a go and hopefully it all comes together.good luck!

• Like 1

We had a great hunt this morning.  I was expecting to get soaked, but we beat the rain. 

About 5:15, we could hear hens all around us. Luckily leaf out is complete, and nothing seen us as we were only 50 yrds from the nearest hen.  After some soft calling, we seen a couple fly down into the field, and finally heard a gobble. 

Took about 3 minutes and we had a jake 15 yrds out.  Kayden made a great shot. 

His buddy has his his safety course, and has asked if I could take him hunting.  I think the bug bit him good.

IMG_20190512_055435905.jpg

• Like 27

18 minutes ago, mowin said:

We had a great hunt this morning.  I was expecting to get soaked, but we beat the rain. 

About 5:15, we could hear hens all around us. Luckily leaf out is complete, and nothing seen us as we were only 50 yrds from the nearest hen.  After some soft calling, we seen a couple fly down into the field, and finally heard a gobble. 

His buddy has his his safety course, and has asked if I could take him hunting.  I think the bug bit him good.

Congratulations on a successful hunt. Way to go.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mowin said:

Atta boy!was hoping to see that pic.congrats to all!!

• Like 1

Not exactly live from the turkey woods but, I found this nest in my back yard under a small Alberta spruce. I think it's a turkey nest as I have been seeing a hen in my yard a couple if times for the past week. I'm going to put a trail camera on it if I can, hopefully I haven't spooked her away.

I live in Amherst not exactly out in the country. I don't expect them to hatch as I have only seen hens around for several years, never see any gobblers. We'll see??

IMG_20190511_173907473.jpg

Edited by 2012_taco
added text.
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Not exactly live from the turkey woods but, I found this nest in my back yard under a small Alberta spruce. I think it's a turkey nest as I have been seeing a hen in my yard a couple if times for the past week. I'm going to put a trail camera on it if I can, hopefully I haven't spooked her away.

IMG_20190511_173907473.jpg

I see that hen, I am just wondering who bred her. I havent seen a Male in the hood...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kpkot said:

I see that hen, I am just wondering who bred her. I havent seen a Male in the hood...

I read yesterday that a hen will lay eggs even if she hasn't been  bred? I'm not sure that's true but I did read it on the internet!

Just now, 2012_taco said:

I read yesterday that a hen will lay eggs even if she hasn't been  bred? I'm not sure that's true but I did read it on the internet!

Yea that's what chickens do.... can't wait to see the trail cam photos! my parents live by park school and had two long beards in the yard last year. 

Off topic ,  but egg related. Buddy lives on Irondequoit Bay, a duck laid an egg in his boat , he couldn’t put it on shore, because of all the muskrats , Fox , and coyotes around . Put  it under a heat lamp in a box, then she laid 2 more in his boat, so now he has three under the light , and rotates the eggs every 4 hours .....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Off topic ,  but egg related. Buddy lives on Irondequoit Bay, a duck laid an egg in his boat , he couldn’t put it on shore, because of all the muskrats , Fox , and coyotes around . Put  it under a heat lamp in a box, then she laid 2 more in his boat, so now he has three under the light , and rotates the eggs every 4 hours .....

Temp has to be consistent and at a specific temp, think it's 95*. Humidity has to be consistent too. Too hot and they cook, to cool and they won't do anything but rot... 

Edited by mowin

1 hour ago, 2012_taco said:

The hen came back today around 2 PM. Laid another egg. I'm going to get a camera on the nest asap.

IMG_20190512_154632721.jpg

1 per day til complete. Very cool   I’m never found a nest. I’ve had same hen waddling through bunch of days in a row while hunting as close as I’ve got.