Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

23 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

I read yesterday that a hen will lay eggs even if she hasn't been  bred? I'm not sure that's true but I did read it on the internet!

23 hours ago, kpkot said:

Yea that's what chickens do.... can't wait to see the trail cam photos! my parents live by park school and had two long beards in the yard last year. 

technically our woman do the same once a month as well. If not "bred", they "shed/drop" an egg with the lining. And if NO egg drops, it's time to get another job :rofl:

20190513_085552.thumb.jpg.b97000f88e64f2d8e3b6a67d83c636e8.jpg

One of the funner hunts I have experienced.  My best friend since a kid joined me. No gobbles off the roost and quiet until couple hens entered field. Just after gobbling ensued from a good distance out. That bird came in quick and I saw him about 70 yds in timber strutting looked like a full fan and he was gobbling. Suddenly two Jake's materialized and we made a quick decision to try the double. I'm not certain in anything associated with Turkey hunting, but I think that longbeard would of came in. No regrets as my friend and I will never forget today.  Quality hunt.

Edited by kpkot
  • Like 16

55 minutes ago, kpkot said:

20190513_085552.thumb.jpg.b97000f88e64f2d8e3b6a67d83c636e8.jpg

One of the funner hunts I have experienced.  My best friend since a kid joined me. No gobbles off the roost and quiet until couple hens entered field. Just after gobbling ensued from a good distance out. That bird came in quick and I saw him about 70 yds in timber strutting looked like a full fan and he was gobbling. Suddenly two Jake's materialized and we made a quick decision to try the double. I'm not certain in anything associated with Turkey hunting, but I think that longbeard would of came in. No regrets as my friend and I will never forget today.  Quality hunt.

Congratulations - great morning!

thought'd i'd recap my Saturday for you guys if you're interested.

Wanted to get to bed around 9:30 on Friday, it'd been a long week. Didn't really get to sleep till almost 11. Alarm was set for 4:00am, but who was I kidding? Especially with one tag already punched. So I snooze the alarm and end up getting into the woods a tad before 7. This was ok with me. Typically in my woods I get opportunities right at flydown 6-7am window, or sometime after 9 in the fields. I make my way back towards the fields taking my time, clucking here and there but not trying for any shock gobbles. 

Around 7:15 I near the stonewall and hedgerow that separates the pines from the fields. I approach very quietly and slowly and through some brush I see some brown objects not 10 yards out from the wall. I get the binos and sure as shit one is a decent tom in full fan. I am literally 40 yards away.

I take off my decoy bag and spend the next 15 agonizing minutes inching, commando crawling and cautiously making my way the next 10 yards to the wall. I now have a shot to the field (west), and the birds are about 40 yards north. The stone wall runs north-south. I can make out objects, but there's brush concealing the birds. I'm not sure if they will come into the pines and give me a 5 yard shot to the east or if they will continue in the field. Eventually I'm convinced as they work their way south that they are staying in the field. I belly slide like a snake over the rockwall and am fortunate to have a small forked sapling that is the perfect gun rest. 

the birds are now invisible behind the brush that is in front of me. They then appear, but have started to work their way into the field and diagonally away from me. wtf... They are at about 40 yards and still not clear of the brush. I make out 4 birds. 2 of which are jakes, a 3rd unknown and a decent 2 year old Tom. Man do cut corn fields mess with your id skills or what?

I wait a minute or so for them to make a move, leery of calling and spooking. When all the sudden they start moving briskly. They were spooked. Not terrified, but spooked and I know it wasn't me. Dangit I think. coyote maybe? I make some yelps and they stop, but they're not changing their minds and they disappear over the crest of the field and out of site. I hadn't even setup shop yet and figure i'll give it 10 before getting in a spot. When out of the corner of my eye comes the neighbor. ahhhh I see now. Not a trespassing issue, but a miscommunication. What was a "hey I might try turkey this year and let you know", was confirmed. I had been really lucky the last 5 years without any competition. oh well.

In a way I'm glad i didn't punch #2 on my second hunt, also less than an hour into it.

• Like 7

One more egg laid today! I've been very careful not to disturb the nest. I only check it out when I know she's moved on feeding.

I don't know how she is going to be able to sit on that nest for 28 days without me bumping her? I will have to cut my lawn eventually!

IMG_20190513_194423384.jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

One more egg laid today! I've been very careful not to disturb the nest. I only check it out when I know she's moved on feeding.

I don't know how she is going to be able to sit on that nest for 28 days without me bumping her? I will have to cut my lawn eventually!

IMG_20190513_194423384.jpg

Pretty darn neat!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Back at it in the AM, this bird has to make a mistake soon or I'm going to find a dumber one. I'm trying a decoy tomorrow, a lone hen on the gas line he roosts over

Cant wait to read how the hunt unfolds. This guy has taunted you one too many times lol

• Like 1

Giving it a half ass try this morning. Raining believe it or not. More of a leek digging mission if no gobbles early  Opening day killed a bird , that Sunday heard 3 gobble on roost followed by few gobbles on ground , Monday of opening week heard 1 gobbling on roost , few on ground. Then quiet those days by 6:30. Lots of days left   Good luck to all out there this morning 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

First gobble 5:35 same spot as always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ive had this same battle a few times.  Roost in same spot and walk away with the same hens.  Only way i could get em was to have tthem come back after 9.  Or one time i was calling real loud and two pissed off hens came out wiht the gobbler following .  BUt most of the time I couldnt get em away for days and days at a time.  Good luck - hope he gets it in the face today! 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

ive had this same battle a few times.  Roost in same spot and walk away with the same hens.  Only way i could get em was to have tthem come back after 9.  Or one time i was calling real loud and two pissed off hens came out wiht the gobbler following .  BUt most of the time I couldnt get em away for days and days at a time.  Good luck - hope he gets it in the face today! 

Exactly what happens each time. I may go back later since this is my last hunt for at least ten days

• Like 1

Well that was a bust. As soon as I did a fly down and a couple yelps the hens got really vocal. Last gobble o heard was on the ground and much further off than the roost

Sounds like we need to team up on that bird. If we set up on opposite sides of the roost site he should come by 1 of us? I'm willing to give it a try. Or at least my calling will send him running to yours! LOL

• Like 1

Had him cutting me off then hen got in between us. He was going other way and then little towards Tried playing with hen but no dice. Then played silent treatment and dug some leaks. Going to take slow walk over to cam over fox den soon. Accomplished all I wanted too so far. Played with gobbler , leeks and got wet. 2dbaaa2d0d5d4a8e208460647d2d1a62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Exactly what happens each time. I may go back later since this is my last hunt for at least ten days

one time I went back in late and could still hear him gobbling 1/4 mile away. But he kept getting closer and closer til he was too close for his own good.  But figured he was on the roam after his morn with those hens.  Good luck  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Well that was a bust. As soon as I did a fly down and a couple yelps the hens got really vocal. Last gobble o heard was on the ground and much further off than the roost

I've used this trick a few times.  Call from your usually spot as soon as he gobbles, or when he should start taking. Quickly and quietly move to the area he and his gals head to after hearing you call.  Don't make a sound in second spot.  You might get lucky and have him walk by you.

This works well now that leaf out is complete, but the earlier you can get moved the better. You want them on the roost when you move.  Doesn't work all the time and obviously terrain will determine if it's possible. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2012_taco said:

Sounds like we need to team up on that bird. If we set up on opposite sides of the roost site he should come by 1 of us? I'm willing to give it a try. Or at least my calling will send him running to yours! LOL

The trouble is, the other side is right smack the middle of a nice neighborhood lol

50 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

one time I went back in late and could still hear him gobbling 1/4 mile away. But he kept getting closer and closer til he was too close for his own good.  But figured he was on the roam after his morn with those hens.  Good luck  

Opening day I hunted in Dunkirk, stopped in these woods at 10:30 and heard him gobbling. I setup, called him in, and missed him

Opening day I hunted in Dunkirk, stopped in these woods at 10:30 and heard him gobbling. I setup, called him in, and missed him

Ya, that certainly doesn't help.  I've educated more than I care to admit. Some now have a PHD in avoiding hunters. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mowin said:

Ya, that certainly doesn't help.  I've educated more than I care to admit. Some now have a PHD in avoiding hunters. 

Ive had two more good chances at him but wasnt comfortable with the shot. Both times I had to lean way out to the side and didnt feel like I was truly "on him". I find it tough to shoot turkeys, that sitting position can be a PITA when the bird gets out to one side or the other

• Like 3