Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

16 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ive had two more good chances at him but wasnt comfortable with the shot. Both times I had to lean way out to the side and didnt feel like I was truly "on him". I find it tough to shoot turkeys, that sitting position can be a PITA when the bird gets out to one side or the other

That's exactly how I missed this opening day.  Right handed, and it was a very hard right shot. When the gun went off, I pulled to the left, a lot. I should have waited, but the opening day jitters got the best of me. 

32 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Hmm. No fox pics. Wonder what happened to them. Had woodchuck, coon and grinner all checking out the den. Bunch of deer pics. Neat barbwire I’ll make sure not to walk through in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

their den is probably a pool and they were sick of being so pruny all the time.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, Belo said:

20 gauge at 40 yards is a decent poke my man. heck i'm shooting 3.5" mags out of a 12 lol.

I build my own turkey loads.. My 20 patterns better than my 3.5" 12ga and that thing patterns well too. Heres my pattern board at 40 from one of my 20ga thats a 10" (partial)circle lol

20190424_200106.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I build my own turkey loads.. My 20 patterns better than my 3.5" 12ga and that thing patterns well too. Heres my pattern board at 40 from one of my 20ga thats a 10" (partial)circle lol

20190424_200106.jpg

I think this is an interesting website to play around with

http://patternboard.winchester.com/#/compare/

if you compare a #5 winchester double XR load 3.5" 12 gauge load vs a 3" 20 gauge load, the velocities are the same but the pellets within 10" @ 40 yards basically double. @ 20 yards they more than double. Both are killing machines. Like I said earlier, i think it's up to the hunters comfort.

Edited by Belo

2 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Not a peep yet... Finally a morning with no rain, so I was hoping they would be vocal and feeling frisky.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

good luck Bob. I'll be in your shoes tomorrow and I'm hoping the break in rain will get them out too

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Well , I am home now and having Farina. Getting ready to try Sterling Forest in a bit. Round 1 went to a Wary Gobbler on another Chuck of Public Land. I called up a Gobbler to 40 yards on my 10 o'clock.  He saw me move though at the wrong moment. Putt-Putt- Putt.  Walked off  fast. I called that Tom up from 100 yards+ with the late Season 3 Note Yelps and Deadly Clucks + Purrs.  Only Mid Season though.

Farina??? God gave me flashbacks of that crap as a kid. My mom always made that for us before school. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I think this is an interesting website to play around with

http://patternboard.winchester.com/#/compare/

if you compare a #5 winchester double XR load 3.5" 12 gauge load vs a 3" 20 gauge load, the velocities are the same but the pellets within 10" @ 40 yards basically double. @ 20 yards they more than double. Both are killing machines. Like I said earlier, i think it's up to the hunters comfort.

It is interesting, and fun to play around with for sure! I dont really believe much of those pattern tests at ranges beyond 40yards. Even though they say they are based off actual real life testing. Before i made my own handloads with tungsten.. i swore by winchester loads, specifically the Longbead XR, The Winchester high velocity, and the ole Extended Range shells, never liked double x shells. These 3 shot well out of many 12ga guns we shot with several different chokes. Tight to more open constriction. That Pattern board is calling out some insane pellet strike numbers. I have a few pics I could show from my Winchester loads throughout the years, that do not come close to matching these.

Here is a 12ga 3" 2oz handload of 8s that shot pretty well, 285 for 1 choke, 300 for the other choke.  And i could even make them better if i played around with it more.. It shoots within a dozen hits as the 20 gauge does more or less..  @ 40 yards. BUT the 20 ga load is only a 1-5/8oz where the 12 gauge is a 2oz load. Not starting argument just showing real life results through my trials and errors lol. You are completely right though, its up the hunters comfort, and hope that they have a respectable range they will not shoot past..

20190514-063132_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Well , I am home now and having Farina. Getting ready to try Sterling Forest in a bit. Round 1 went to a Wary Gobbler on another Chuck of Public Land. I called up a Gobbler to 40 yards on my 10 o'clock.  He saw me move though at the wrong moment. Putt-Putt- Putt.  Walked off  fast. I called that Tom up from 100 yards+ with the late Season 3 Note Yelps and Deadly Clucks + Purrs.  Only Mid Season though.

My 10oclock is the perfect shot as a right hander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

For those of you that make your own tungsten shot, how much would you say you spend per shell now that you load it yourself? It’s getting a little old spending 5+ dollars a shell.

The shot is on average around $50/lb. Some recipes are simple, some are more intricate.. it all depends on the recipe.. I dont want to give out anymore info since everything is confidential. Its not cheap lets just put it that way... id stick with 5$ shells if its about spending money 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

The shot is on average around $50/lb. Some recipes are simple, some are more intricate.. it all depends on the recipe.. I dont want to give out anymore info since everything is confidential. Its not cheap lets just put it that way... id stick with 5$ shells if its about spending money 

I figured it wasnt cheap, especially when you add the cost of buying everything. Ill stick to the 5 bucks a shell then

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

It is interesting, and fun to play around with for sure! I dont really believe much of those pattern tests at ranges beyond 40yards. Even though they say they are based off actual real life testing. Before i made my own handloads with tungsten.. i swore by winchester loads, specifically the Longbead XR, The Winchester high velocity, and the ole Extended Range shells, never liked double x shells. These 3 shot well out of many 12ga guns we shot with several different chokes. Tight to more open constriction. That Pattern board is calling out some insane pellet strike numbers. I have a few pics I could show from my Winchester loads throughout the years, that do not come close to matching these.

Here is a 12ga 3" 2oz handload of 8s that shot pretty well, 285 for 1 choke, 300 for the other choke.  And i could even make them better if i played around with it more.. It shoots within a dozen hits as the 20 gauge does more or less..  @ 40 yards. BUT the 20 ga load is only a 1-5/8oz where the 12 gauge is a 2oz load. Not starting argument just showing real life results through my trials and errors lol. You are completely right though, its up the hunters comfort, and hope that they have a respectable range they will not shoot past..

yeah i'd take their numbers with a grain of salt for sure, but it was a good tool to illustrate what you're really getting with that extra kick to your shoulder.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I figured it wasnt cheap, especially when you add the cost of buying everything. Ill stick to the 5 bucks a shell then

i've said this in a few other spots, but $5 a shell and maybe 2 or 3 shots a season is a small amount of money when you consider the time, effort and other expenses that go into turkey hunting. Heck I spent more money on the bacon that i wrapped my turkey in for the smoker than the $5 hevi-13 shell I used to kill him.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

yeah i'd take their numbers with a grain of salt for sure, but it was a good tool to illustrate what you're really getting with that extra kick to your shoulder.

Yes sir. Agreed.

14 minutes ago, Belo said:

i've said this in a few other spots, but $5 a shell and maybe 2 or 3 shots a season is a small amount of money when you consider the time, effort and other expenses that go into turkey hunting. Heck I spent more money on the bacon that i wrapped my turkey in for the smoker than the $5 hevi-13 shell I used to kill him.

You nailed it, ive said that for years. lol 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

For those of you that make your own tungsten shot, how much would you say you spend per shell now that you load it yourself? It’s getting a little old spending 5+ dollars a shell.

$5 per store bought tss ? More like $9-10

• Like 1