Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

22 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I save a lot of money on shells when hunting Turkey.  PM me for my secret!

That's a good one!  I've had the same box of 10 shells for the last 15 years, so I haven't spent much money either.  I have 9 left.  The one shell I shot was just because I wanted to check to see if the gun still works.  LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Keep going Storm! Those woods look good. Birds are there being quiet.

Seen 20 turkey cross that very trail at about that spot last day of deer season  last year .

Only reason I bothered to try there . 

That   happens  a lot when i am deer hunting i only see turkey or squirrels and rabbits  when I am  turkey hunting i only see deer . Always  the  game you just not hunting that day seems to alway show up  It is like they know .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Seen 20 turkey cross that very trail at about that spot last day of deer season  last year .

Only reason I bothered to try there . 

That   happens  a lot when i am deer hunting i only see turkey or squirrels and rabbits  when I am  turkey hunting i only see deer . Always  the  game you just not hunting that day seems to alway show up  It is like they know .

There is a logical explanation to that phenomena, Stormy....Turkeys and deer are actually the same species, known as " DEERKEYS"

During deer season they look like turkeys, and during turkey season they look like deer...

It may sound kind of far fetched, but would I lie to you ??

By the way, the check is in the mail...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

There is a logical explanation to that phenomena, Stormy....Turkeys and deer are actually the same species, known as " DEERKEYS"

During deer season they look like turkeys, and during turkey season they look like deer...

It may sound kind of far fetched, but would I lie to you ??

By the way, the check is in the mail...

Maybe I should duck tape my shotgun with bird shot  to my deer rifle this way no matter what comes out I'm  ready for it if it is  in season  lol :taunt:

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Decided to head down to where I killed my bird last week and saw all that sign but not one confirmed gobble on the roost. A little surprising, but I’ve never been down here at this time so maybe it makes sense. All the old sign has probably been washed away, but I’m thinking this is still a good spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Foggy morning and got in later than I would have liked, so I setup in a different spot so not to bust them off the roost.

Currently have what sounds like 2 birds hung up in the distance. Trying to play it cool with subtle calls...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

Foggy morning and got in later than I would have liked, so I setup in a different spot so not to bust them off the roost.

Currently have what sounds like 2 birds hung up in the distance. Trying to play it cool with subtle calls...

Stop calling for thirty minutes.......hard to do but it’s guaranteed to work or your money back. 

• Like 2

Stop calling for thirty minutes.......hard to do but it’s guaranteed to work or your money back. 

I have. The birds have shut up and the fog rolled into the field.

There is a big ass puddle here and I have ducks that won’t shut up now. Haha

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have. The birds have shut up and the fog rolled into the field.

There is a big ass puddle here and I have ducks that won’t shut up now. Haha

He’s coming.....

Just played with a bird that gobbled to every call I made. He even gobbled 7 times in a row with out me calling. Figured he was going to come in for sure, but he went silent and vanished. Only thing I can think is I took off my hearing protection to hear just how close he was and maybe I spooked him. It didn’t sound like he was getting closer, but who knows

Good wildlife spotting on my way to work today. Saw toms and hens in a dozen fields, hit the brakes three times for deer in the road, had a fox dart across the road in front of me and saw an bald eagle perched in a tree. Wildlife activity much more than the last week or two. Must be peak activity time. According to the solunar tables, the next major period begins in two hours. 

Good luck ATBuckhunter, Belo, 2012Taco, and anyone else out today! I'll rejoin the ranks of the covert turkey army Saturday unless I come down with a mysterious ailment or something tonight. Cough, cough.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 2

Well I had about an hour of silence. Then a loud gobble rings out in the hardwoods directly to the east.

I wait and see a shadowy figure move through and then disappear. I give a couple soft clucks and nothing. Then a crow buzzed over head and I get a good shock gobble. He’s closer and also positioned to come out of the opening in the stone wall right where my 2 hens and jake are positioned.

Silence again. I give a soft yelp. Nothing. Another few minutes go by and I give a soft cluck. Then he appears right where I wanted him too. I am brushed in real well, full ghile suit and mask sitting behind a mad max blind/rest with gun ready.

I haven’t got my boy in the woods yet, and only 1 tag left so I told myself going in I’m just taking toms at under 30. This shot is 35 and his neck is extended and any other day I’m taking it. He’s not staring at me, but I’m in his fov. It’s clear he’s checking the spot out before he commits and this is where I learned my lesson. I slowly lower my head to look through my site and his neck goes up. Shit. Then quickly down and he heads briskly back to where he came from. And puts... and we all know what that means.

I’m not mad, but kicking myself a little. About 20 minutes after that I had him or another bird come from the north. All I saw was a bright red head at 60 yards before he changed his mind.

There’s a decent pop of birds here and I still have gobbling off to the east so I’m gonna hold tight.

• Like 5

Sorry I couldn’t clear “ quote” or type in the above .
Anyway just got set up a bit ago, this better be worth me getting up at 7:30 AM !
B537CF9A-E586-442E-93CB-DE09563314D9.thumb.png.ab800be789ea85e648671e6fafddd44c.png
Love me some 870 action! Sadly I think I only have till around 745 maybe 8 if I hustle on Saturday. The future Mrs. Jerkman scheduled us for a registry event at crate and barrel that starts at 9am Saturday. Fingers crossed can slam a bird early and then the weather is decent to slam another Sunday. Hell I just hope I shoot a single one this weekend since I'm stuck at my sister's graduation from Cornell next weekend

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Holy crap what a spring for me. Even bigger than my last one. First time in ever tagged out in the spring. I’ll post the full story when i get home IMG_9094.thumb.jpg.e57cf5604a6809dbafd7e7b1d0e787f5.jpg

Nicely done sir!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1